We present our experience with a retrograde supracondylar nail used for the management of fractures of the distal femur in elderly patients. Eighteen fractures of the distal femur in 18 patients were treated with AIM titanium supracondylar nails. Sixteen patients with a median age of 83 years (62–100 years) were finally available for review. All 16 fractures were classified as extra-articular type A according to the AO classification. The average operative time was 58 min. Follow up ranged between 4 and 35 months (average 20.4 months). Fifteen fractures (93.7%) united in an average duration of 3.6 months. The average range of motion achieved at the knee was 100.6°. There were no implant failures, knee sepsis or wound healing problems. One non-union and two stress fractures of the femur above the nail were the main complications in this series.
We concluded that the AIM titanium supracondylar nail is a useful alternative implant for the management of the osteoporotic fractures of the distal femur particularly the extra-articular AO type A fracture in the elderly population.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The problem of the supracondylar fracture of the femur in the aged person.American Journal of Surgery. 1959; 97: 499-512
- Fractures of the distal third of the femur. A comparison of methods of treatment.Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 1966; 48A: 784-807
- Supracondylar fracture of the adult femur. A study of one hundred and ten cases.Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 1967; 49A: 591-613
- Displaced fractures of the distal femur in elderly patients.Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 1996; 78B: 110-114
- Supracondylar fractures of the femur.Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 1979; 138: 77-83
- Complications of surgically treated supracondylar fractures of the femur.Journal of Trauma. 1987; 27: 402-406
- The AO dynamic condylar screw for fractures of the femur.Injury. 1992; 23: 89-93
- Intramedullary supracondylar nailing of femoral fractures.Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 1993; 296: 200-206
- Treatment of intercondylar and supracondylar distal femur fractures using the GSH supracondylar nail.American Journal of Orthopaedics. 1995; 24: 684-690
- Treatment of supracondylar fractures of the femur in elderly patients with retrograde intramedullary interlocking nail.International Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. 1996; 6: 15-18
- The use of the supracondylar nail in the management of femoral fractures in the presence of other femoral implants in the very elderly.Injury. 1998; 29: 671-675
- Treatment of distal femoral fractures with intramedullary supracondylar nails in elderly patients.Injury. 1999; 30: 43-46
- Zickel supracondylar nailing for supracondylar femoral fractures in elderly or infirm patients.Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 1994; 76B: 596-601
- The comprehensive classification of fractures of long bones. Manual of internal fixation. 3rd ed. Springer-Verlag, Berlin1991
- The use of bone cement as an adjunct to internal fixation of supracondylar fractures of osteoporotic femurs.Acta Orthopaedica Scandinavica. 1977; 48: 52-56
- Surgical treatment of displaced, comminuted fractures of the distal end of the femur.Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 1982; 64A: 871-879
- Supracondylar–intercondylar fractures of the femur. Treatment by internal fixation.Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 1989; 71A: 95-104
- Treatment of supracondylar–intercondylar fractures of the femur using the dynamic condylar screw.Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. 1989; 3: 214-222
- Mechanics of retrograde nail versus plate fixation for supracondylar femur fractures.Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. 1995; 9: 152-157
- Biomaterials.in: Simon S.R. Orthopaedic basic science. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 1994: 447-486
- Fractures of the distal femur.Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 1980; 153: 169-179
Accepted: October 18, 1999
© 2000 Elsevier Science Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.