We have assessed the consistency of measurement of femoral head circumference using 3 standard measuring instruments used in hemiarthroplasty of the hip. Fifty femoral heads were independently sized by ten independent observers using a caliper, a half circular measuring template, each allowing measurement to the nearest millimeter.
We found significantly greater variance of the results using the half-circular templates (p=0.001) and the calipers (p=0.011) compared with the full circular measuring templates. Measurement with calipers underestimated femoral head size by 0.72 mm compared with full circular measuring templates (p=0.02).
Insertion of an undersized hemiarthroplasty head is a cause of increased point loading of the acetabulum and may result in increased rates of acetabular erosion. The use of full circular measurement templates is recommended as the most consistent method for head sizing in hemiarthroplasty of the hip.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Aetiology of acetabular erosion after Thompson replacement for fractured neck of femur..J. Bone Jt. Surg. (Br.). 1977; 59B: 128
- Pressure distribution in the hip and selection of hemiarthroplasty.in: The Hip, Proceedings of the Third Open Scientific Meeting of the Hip Society, Mosby, 1975. 1975: 93-98
- Fixed-head and bipolar hip endoprostheses; a retrospective clinical and roentgenographic study.J. Arthroplasty. 1987; 2: 327-341
- The shape of the femoral head and preliminary results of clinical use of nonspherical hip prosthesis.J. Bone Jt. Surg. (Am.). 1972; 54A: 1559
- The cathcart elliptical orthocentric endoprosthesis, a long-term clinical and radiographic study.Ital. J. Orthop. Traumatol. 1989; 15: 5-14
- The Moore vitallium femoral head prosthesis in fracture of the femoral neck.Acta Orthop. Scand. 1976; 47: 70-78
- A long-term follow-up study of patients treated with hemiarthroplasty of the hip, with respect to protrusion of the prosthesis.in: Controversial Opinions. Proceedings of the IX European Federal Congress of Surgeons. American Elsevier Publishing Co Inc, Amsterdam1975: 58-64
- A retrospective study of Moore and Thompson Hemiarthroplasty.Clin. Orthop. 1982; 169: 179-185
- Thompson hemiarthroplasty and acetabular erosion..J. Bone Jt. Surg. (Am.). 1989; 71: 913-917
Accepted: September 9, 1999
© 2000 Elsevier Science Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.