Fractures of the proximal tibial epiphysis and apophysis are rare. Data of ten patients seen in the last 17 yr with an epiphyseal (6) or apophyseal (4) fracture of the proximal tibia were reviewed. Three patients with an epiphyseal fracture were treated by open reduction and fixation, the other three by closed reduction. All apophyseal fractures were treated by open reduction and internal fixation. No major complications occurred. The final results were good.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Fractures of the proximal tibial epiphyseal cartilage.Clinical Orthopaedics. 1965; 41: 92-97
- Analyses of the incidence of injuries to the epiphyseal growth plate.The Journal of Trauma. 1972; 12: 275-281
- Fractures of the proximal tibial epiphyses.The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 1979; 61A: 996-1002
- Avulsion fractures of the tibial tubercle.Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 1971; 53: 1579-1583
- The treatment of avulsion fractures of the tibial tuberosity in adolescent athletes.Sports Medicine. 1990; 9: 311-316
- Injuries involving the epiphyseal plate.Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 1963; 45: 587-622
- Verletzungen der proximalen Tibiaepiphyse.Unfallchirurg. 1987; 90: 412-420
- Fractures of the tibial tuberosity in adolescents.The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 1980; 62A: 205-215
- Epiphyseal fractures of the proximal tibia.Injury. 1989; 20: 111-113
- Fractures of the proximal tibial epiphysis.Injury. 1984; 14: 324-331
- Tibial tubercle avulsions.Journal of Pediatric Orthopedics. 1986; 6: 186-192
Accepted: August 12, 1999
© 2000 Elsevier Science Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.