This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Intrinsic mechanical properties of osteophytes have been compared with those of normal articular cartilage by obtaining force-indentation curves. The cartilage of the osteophyte was found to be thinner than articular cartilage. The mean stiffness of osteophytes was 272.8 (±78.8) N/mm and the mean stiffness of articular cartilage was 1412 (±917.3) N/mm.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A perspective of lesions associated with ACL insufficiency of the knee. A review of 100 cases.Clin Orthop. 1985; 198: 77
- Value of intercondylar notchplasty. CT studies and preoperative measurements of 127 knees.Acta Orthop Scand. 1990; 61: 558
- Arthroscopic osteochondral autograft transplantation in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: a preliminary clinical study.J Bone Joint Surg. 1996; 78B: 59
- Contact pressures in the human hip joint.J Bone Joint Surg. 1987; 69B: 536
- Comparative study of the intrinsic mechanical properties of the human acetabular and femoral head cartilage.J Orthop Res. 1994; 12: 340
- Mechanical properties of canine articular cartilage are significantly altered following transection of the anterior cruciate ligament.J Orthop Res. 1994; 12: 451
- In vitro contact stress distributions in the natural human hip.J Biomech. 1983; 16: 373
- Three-dimensional collagen architecture in bovine articular cartilage.J Bone Joint Surg. 1991; 73B: 795
- Mechanical properties of articular cartilage in knees with unicompartmental osteoarthritis.J Bone Joint Surg. 1994; 76B: 315
- A biomechanical analysis of articular cartilage of the human elbow and a potential relationship to osteochondritis dissecans.Clin Orthop. 1994; 299: 305
Accepted: July 9, 1997
© 1998 Published by Elsevier Inc.