This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
We describe the use of a non-absorbable, braided, polyester suture, 5 Ti-Cron (Davis and Geck, Gosport, Hampshire), for the fixation of patellar fractures as an alternative to stainless steel wire. Seven patients had their fractures fixed with this material and all progressed to union with good restoration of knee function. The case of use of the suture allowed accurate reduction of the fractures and reduced operative and tourniquet time. None of the patients suffered significant complications from the procedure although two patients required removal of the suture because of knot symptoms. This was easily performed under local anaesthetic on an out-patient basis. We believe that non-absorbable suture is a good substitute for stainless steel wire and reduces the need for a second procedure for wire removal.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Fracture of the patella: a study of 422 patellar fractures.Acta Orthop. Scand. Suppl. 1972; 143: 1-80
- Results of surgical treatment of patellar fractures.J. Bone Joint Surg. [Br]. 1985; 67-B: 416-419
- Knee function after patellectomy: a 12- to 48-year follow-up.J. Bone Joint Surg. [Br]. 1994; 76-B: 485-487
- Fractures of the patella treated by operation.Arch. Orthop. Trauma Surg. 1983; 102: 78-81
- Operative treatment of patellar fractures.Acta Orthop. Scand. 1971; 42: 437-438
- Efficacy of various forms of fixation of transverse fractures of the patella.J. Bone Joint Surg. [Am]. 1980; 62-A: 215-220
- Evaluation of methods of internal fixation of transverse patella fractures: a biomechanical study.J. Orthop. Trauma. 1994; 2: 147-153
- Treatment of fractures of the patella with percutaneous suture.Clin. Orthop. 1984; 191: 235-241
- Internal fixation for fractures of the patella.J. Bone Joint Surg. [Br]. 1990; 72-B: 280-282
- Fracture of the patella. A clinical study of 707 patellar fractures.Annales Chirurgiae et Gynaecologiae Fenniae—Supplement. 1971; 179: 1-85
- Fractured patella: operative treatment using the tension band principle.Injury. 1985; 16: 343-347
- Partial patellectomy for patellar fracture: tension band wiring and early mobilisation.J. Orthop. Trauma. 1993; 7: 252-260
- Biodegradable wire fixation in olecranon and patella fractures combined with biodegradable screws or plugs and compared with metallic fixation.Arch. Orthop. Trauma Surg. 1995; 114: 319-323
- Fractures of the lower extremity.in: Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics. 8th ed. Mosby Year Book, 1992
Accepted: June 25, 1997
© 1998 Published by Elsevier Inc.