This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
A follow-up study was performed to assess the functional and radiological outcome after operative treatment of tibial plateau fractures. Of 62 patients operated upon from 1985 to 1993, 46 patients were traced and re-examined. Follow-up averaged 60 months. Three functional scores were applied: the HSS knee score, the Lysholm score and the Tegner score. Radiographs obtained at follow-up were rated for deformity and signs of arthrosis, using a score described by Reswick and Niwayama. Patients reported most functional complaints during the first 3 years and after 6 years. Patients seen between 3 and 6 years after injury showed better functional scores. Arthritic changes were seen from 5 years after the fracture. Patients over 60 years of age seemed to suffer less functional loss than younger patients, indicating that operative treatment should not be withheld on grounds of age alone.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Rationale of The Knee Society clinical rating system.Clin Orthop. 1989; 248: 13
- Evaluation of knee ligament surgery results with special emphasis on use of a scoring system.Am J Sports Med. 1982; 10: 150
- Rating systems in the evaluation of knee ligament injuries.Clin Orthop. 1985; 198: 43
- Diagnosis of bone and joint disorders.in: W. B. Saunders, Philadelphia, PA1981: 1276
- AO classification of fractures.Springer Verlag, Berlin1987
- Early weight bearing of lateral tibial plateau fractures.Clin Orth. 1993; 294: 232
- Tibial condylar fractures. A twenty-year follow-up.JBJS. 1986; 68A: 13
- Fractures of the tibial plateau.Orthop Clin North Am. 1979; 10: 61
- Classification of fractures of the tibial condyles.JBJS. 1992; 74B: 840
- Conservative treatment of tibial condyle fractures.Acta Orthop Scand. 1971; 42: 431
- Fractures of the condyles of the tibia. An anatomical and clinical end-result study of one hundred cases.JBJS. 1968; 50A: 1505
- Tibial condylar fractures—impairment of knee joint stability as an indication for surgical treatment.JBJS. 1973; 55A: 1331
- Tibial plateau fractures. Management and expected results.Clin Orthop. 1993; 292: 87
- The Rationale of Operative Fracture Care. Springer Verlag, Berlin1987 2nd edn.
- Fractures of the lateral tibial condyle treated by skeletal traction and early mobilization.JBJS. 1956; 38B: 699
- Internal versus external fixation of bicondylar tibial plateau fractures.Orthop Rev. 1992; 21: 1433
- The cast brace and tibial plateau fractures.Clin Orthop. 1989; 242: 26
- Fractures of the tibial condyle. A clinical and experimental study.JBJS. 1956; 38A: 1001
- Cast brace treatment of plateau and bicondylar fractures of the proximal tibia.Clin Orthop. 1976; 119: 184
- Fractures of the tibial plateau. Treatment by closed reduction and spica cast.JBJS. 1979; 61A: 989
- Factors influencing the results of open reduction and internal fixation of tibial plateau fractures.Clin Orthop. 1990; 259: 210
- Reconstructie van de tibiaplateaufractuur onder arthroscopische controle zonder arthrotomie.NTvG. 1991; 135: 893
- Arthroscopic management of tibial plateau fractures.J Arthroscop. 1993; 9: 467
- Arthroscopic restauration of depressed tibial plateau fractures using bone and hydroxyapatite grafts.J Arthroscopic Related Res. 1993; 9: 103
- Closed reduction of tibial plateau fractures.Clin Orthop. 1988; 230: 117
- External fixation and limited internal fixation for complex fractures of the tibial plateau.JBJS. 1975; 77A: 661-673
- Bicondylar tibial plateau fractures treated with a hybrid ring external fixator.J Orth Trauma. 1994; 8: 455
- Degenerative arthritis after tibial plateau fractures.J Orthop Trauma. 1995; 9: 273
- A review of 200 tibial condylar fractures.Acta Orthop Scand. 1971; 42: 430
Accepted: March 29, 1997
© 1997 Published by Elsevier Inc.