This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Cast immobilization remains the most commonly employed method in the treatment of distal radius fractures. In an effort to test a new shrinkable polymer-coated casting material (QuickCast™), a prospective randomized study was performed on 30 consecutive distal radius fractures. Fractures were divided into three groups based on the severity of fracture and treated with either a conventional short-arm fibreglass tape cast or a QuickCast™. Results showed no significant differences in minor cast complications or maintenance of fracture reduction between conventional fibreglass tape and the QuickCast™ material. The shrinkable QuickCast™, however, resulted in an average of one less cast change in all groups. This reduction in time and labour must be weighed against the slightly increased cost of the QuickCast™ immobilizer.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Current concepts review: fractures of the distal and of the radius.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1991; 73A: 461
- External pin fixation for unstable Colles fractures.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1979; 61A: 840
- A rational approach for the recognition and treatment of Colles fracture.Hand Clin. 1987; 3: 13
- Buttress pinning in the unstable distal radius fracture.J Hand Surg. 1995; 20B: 82
- Percutaneous Kirschner wire fixation of Colles fractures. A prospective study of 30 cases.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1984; 66A: 1008
- Comminuted fractures of the distal end of the radius treated by ulnar pinning.J Bone Joint Surg. [Am]. 1952; 34A: 651
- Intracast pressure measurements in Colles' fractures.Injury. 1991; 22: 446
- A study of pressures beneath forearm plasters.Injury. 1981; 13: 37
- Mechanical testing of materials used in the construction of playing casts.in: Presented at the American Society of Biomechanies 18th Annual Meeting, Columbus, OH13–15 October, 1994
- Pressure generation beneath a new thermoplastic cast.Clin Orthop. 1996; 322: 262
- Reliability of different methods of determination of radial shortening: Influence of ulnar and palmar tilt.J Hand Surg. 1995; 20B: 97
- Evaluation of healed Colles fractures.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1951; 33A: 895
- Fractures of the distal radius. Intermediate and end results in relation to radiologic parameters.Clin Orthop. 1987; 220: 241
Accepted: November 24, 1996
© 1997 Published by Elsevier Inc.