This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Medical records and radiographs of 52 patients were studied after inclusion/exclusion criteria were met. The anatomical location of proximal femoral fractures that involved the femoral neck were examined after the primary fracture planes were drawn onto templates of the proximal femur. The AO classification is compre-hensive and widely accepted. It has not been used in this injury combination in a large series of patients. Therefore, we classified each fracture by the AO method and then the AO classes were tabulated and analysed. Only three patterns of proximal femoral fractures appeared. The inferior aspect of the fracture line clustered in the inferomedial aspect of the femoral neck above an intact lesser trochanter in each separate pattern: 55 per cent were AO B2.1 (basilar); 35 per cent AO B2.3 (intracapsular); and 10 per cent AO A1.2 (pertrochanteric) fractures). Eleven fractures (21 per cent) were not detected initially. None of these were A1.2, eight were B2.1 and three were B2.3. Despite many proximal femoral fracture types reported in the literature only three fracture patterns were noted in this large study group. A new finding of clustering of these fractures in the inferomedial femoral neck was noted. AO class B2.1 fractures were the most common fractures missed at initial presentation and were the most common type seen.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Treatment of ipsilateral fractures of the hip and femoral shaft.J Orthop Trauma. 1992; 6: 480
- Fractures of the femoral shaft and associated ipsilateral fractures of the hip.Orthop Clin North Am. 1974; 5: 799
- Current concepts review: fractures of the shaft of the femur.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1991; 73A: 1561
- Concomitant ipsilateral fractures of the hip and femur treated with interlocking nails.Orthopaedics. 1985; 8: 1402
- Ipsilateral concomitant fractures of the hip and femoral shaft.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1979; 61A: 503
- Ipsilateral hip and femur fractures: methods of treatment.in: Spiegel PG Techniques in Orthopaedics, Topics in Orthopaedic Trauma. University Park Press, Baltimore1984: 85
- Fracture of femoral shaft with fracture of neck of same femur.J Int Coll Surg. 1953; 19: 303
- Operative management of ipsilateral fractures of the hip and femur.J Orthop Trauma. 1989; 2: 297
- Initial experience with a second generation locking femoral nail: the Russell Taylor reconstruction nail.Contemp Orthopaed. 1991; 23: 199
- Ipsilateral neck and shaft fractures of the femurs.Operative Techniques in Orthopaedics. April 2 1994; 4: 111-115
- Concomitant unilateral hip and femoral shaft fractures-a too frequently unrecognized syndrome.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1961; 43A: 443
- Simultaneous ipsilateral fracture of the femoral neck and shaft: report of 8 cases.South African Med J. 1971; 24: 459
- Ipsilateral fractures of the femoral neck and shaft.Orthop Rev. 1993; March: 356
- Clandestine femoral neck fractures with ipsilateral diaphyseal fractures.J Orthop Trauma. 1993; 7: 443
- Fractures of the femoral neck associated with fractures of the same femoral shaft.Can J Surg. 1968; 11: 297
- Ipsilateral femoral shaft and hip fractures.Orthop Clin North Am. 1987; 18: 73
- Ipsilateral fractures of the femoral neck and shaft, a treatment protocol.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1984; 66A: 260
- Ipsilateral intertrochanteric and diaphyseal femoral fractures: four patients treated by one technique.Clin Orthop. 1984; 183: 71
- Ipsilateral fractures of the femoral neck and shaft.J Orthop Trauma. 1992; 16: 159
- Combined trochanteric and ipsilateral shaft fractures of the femur treated with the Zickel device-a case report.Clin Orthop. 1976; 117: 241
- Ipsilateral fractures of the femoral neck and shaft.Clin Orthop. 1981; 160: 63
- Fractures and dislocations of the hip.in: Rockwood CA Green DP Bucholz RW Rockwood and Green's Fractures in Adults. JB Lippincott, Philadelphia1991: 1490
- Appendix A: The comprehensive classification of fractures of long bones.in: Müeller ME Allgöwer M Schneider R Willenegger H Manual of Internal Fixation. ed. 3. Springer-Verlag, Berlin1991: 118-150
- Biomechanics of the Locomotor Apparatus. Springer-Verlag, New York1980: 15-25 (Translated by Maquet P and Furlong R. Berlin Heidelberg)
- Stability and union in subcapital fractures of the femur.J Bone Joint Surg [Br]. 1964; 46B: 630
- Reduction and fixation of subcapital fractures of the femur.Orthop Clin North Am. 1974; 5: 683
- Fracture classification systems: do they work and are they useful?.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1993; 75A (Editorial): 1743
Colton C. Fracture classification. Presented at the 1994 Annual Meeting of the Orthopedic Trauma Association, September 23, Los Angeles, CA.
- Closed intramedullary nailing of femoral fractures, a report of 520 cases.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1984; 66A: 529
- Prevention of infection in the treatment of one thousand and twenty-five open fractures of the long bones.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1976; 58A: 453
- Femoral shaft fracture and fracture of the neck of the same femur.Acta Chir Scand. 1965; 129: 597
Accepted: November 24, 1996
© 1997 Published by Elsevier Inc.