This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
This prospective study investigates the effect of injury and surgery of cartilage and bone on serum group II phospholipase A2 (PLA2-II) and C-reactive protein (CRP) levels. Serum concentrations of PLA2-II and CRP were measured before and after the operation in nine patients with closed tibial shaft fractures treated by nailing, 11 patients with fractures of lateral tibial plateau treated by bone grafting, and 19 patients with ruptured anterior cruciate ligament treated by reconstruction. The postoperative PLA2-II and CRP values were statistically significantly higher than the pre-operative values in the tibial plateau fracture and ligament rupture groups, whereas the increase in the PLA2-II values in the tibial fracture group was not statistically significant. The highest values of both parameters were found on the second postoperative day. The changes in the PLA2-II and CRP values were parallel in the lateral condyle fracture and in anterior cruciate ligament rupture groups. PLA2-II behaves as an acute phase reactant in the serum of patients undergoing acute and elective knee surgery.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Phospholipase A2-mediator between proximal and distal effectors of inflammation.Immunol today. 1991; 12: 143
- Serum phospholipase A2 in inflammatory diseases.Clin Chem. 1993; 39: 2453
- Biology of disease. Role of secretory phospholipase A2 in the pathobiology of disease.Lab Invest. 1986; 55: 391
- Induction of phospholipase A2 gene expression in human hepatoma cells by mediators of the acute phase responce.J Biol Chem. 1991; 266: 2647
- Group II phospholipase A2 in serum in critically ill surgical patients.Crit Care Med. 1994; 22: 956
- Phospholipase A2 is a major component of the salt-extractable pool of matrix proteins in adult human articular cartilage.Arth Rheum. 1991; 34: 1106
- Synovial type (group II) phospholipase A2 in cartilage.J Rheumatol. 1993; 20: 325
- The effect of prostaglandins on in vivo limb cartilage differentiation.Exp Cell Res. 1983; 145: 145
- Müller M Nazarian S Koch P The Comprehensive Classification of Fractures of Long Bones. Springer-Verlag, New York1990
- Tscherne H Gotzen L Fractures with Soft Tissue Injuries. Springer-Verlag, New York1984: 1-9
- Immunochemical detection of group I and group II phospholipase A2 in human serum.Clin Chem. 1992; 38: 1824
- Serum phospholipase A2 in patients with multiple injuries.J Trauma. 1990; 30: 1285
- Development of a radioimmunoassay for human group II phospholipase A2 and demonstration of postoperative elevation.Enzyme. 1991; 45: 200
- Structure and properties of a human non-pancreatic phospholipases A2.J Biol Chem. 1989; 264: 5768
- Cloning and recombinant expression of phospholipase A2 present in rheumatoid arthritic synovial fluid.J Biol Chem. 1989; 264: 5335
- Serological reactions in pneumonia with non-protein somatic fraction of pneumococcus.J Exp Med. 1930; 52: 561
- Acute phase protein response to tissue injury.Crit Care Med. 1987; 15: 545
- C-reactive protein in tibial fractures.J Bone Joint Surg [Br]. 1990; 72B: 615
- The C-reactive protein (CRP) in patients with long bone fractures and after arthroplasty.Int Orthop (SICOT). 1993; 17: 198
Accepted: November 18, 1996
© 1997 Published by Elsevier Inc.