This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Between September 1992 and June 1994, 20 patients with 27 open fractures were treated at a major Ethiopian hospital by open reduction and internal fixation. Sixteen fractures were caused by gunshots, eight by road traffic accidents, two by direct blows, and one by a fall. Twenty-one fractures were stabilized with ASIF plates, and six with screws and wires. Five fractures out of 27 (18.5 per cent) developed infection postoperatively. In one case secondary wound infection subsided after wound excision and plate removal. In three others the implants were replaced by external fixators, in two of which the infection subsided and the patients left hospital without infection. The two remaining patients were treated for and 18 months respectively for chronic osteitis. Ten of the 15 patients without postoperative infection returned for follow-up. None of them had developed osteitis. The overall functional results were good.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Plates versus external fixation in severe open tibial shaft fractures, a randomised trial.Clin Orthop. 1989; 241: 89
- Immediate internal fixation in open, complex tibial plateau fractures: treatment by a standard protocol.J Orthop Trauma. 1992; 6: 78
- Immediate internal fixation of open ankle fractures.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1984; 66A: 1349
- Ergebnisse der operativen Therapie von offenen Tibiaschaftfrakturen.Zentralbl Chir. 1987; 112: 1508
- The role of antibiotics in the management of open fractures.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1972; 56A: 532
- Open fractures, long-term results in 200 consecutive cases.Clin Orthop. 1979; 138: 132
- Results after internal fixation of comminuted fractures of the femoral shaft with DC plates.Clin Orthop. 1979; 138: 74
- Open reduction and internal fixation or humeral shaft fractures.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1986; 68A: 420
- Prevention of infection in the treatment of one thousand and twenty-five open fractures.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1976; 58A: 453
- War wounds of bones and external fixation.Injury. 1994; 25: 211
- Die offene Femurfraktur im Krieg — 173 Fixateur-externe-Applikationen am Femur (Afghanistankrieg).Helv Chir Acta. 1991; 58: 687
- Open ankle fractures, the indications for immediate open reduction and internal fixation.Clin Orthop. 1993; 292: 118
- The role of early internal fixation in the management of open fractures.Clin Orthop. 1979; 138: 120
- Offene Frakturen des Ellbogengelenks.Orthopäde. 1988; 17: 272
- An in vitro study of the effects of metals used in internal fixation of bacterial growth and dissemination, Proceedings of the Orthopaedic Research Society.in: 9th Ed. J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 45A. 1963: 1104
Accepted: June 10, 1996
© 1996 Published by Elsevier Inc.