This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
One hundred patients with instability of the knee-joint due to old rupture of the anterior cruciate ligament have been operated on. The injury was mostly acquired during athletics. Nineteen per cent of the cases had an isolated rupture of the anterior cruciate ligament. In the other cases there was either a rupture of the medial or lateral meniscus or an old rupture of the medial collateral ligament causing considerable abduction instability. Two patients had a rupture of the lateral collateral ligament. The medial third of the patellar tendon was transposed into the joint through a drill hole in the tibia. The end of the ligament was fastened in a drill hole on the inside of the lateral femoral condyle as near the posterior attachment of the anterior cruciate ligament as possible. The medial collateral ligament was sutured in most of the cases.
All patients were examined clinically and 69 by arthrography about 6 months after the operation. The results were generally good with considerable improvement in the stability and function of the joint. Seventy per cent of the patients considered themselves completely cured and the remaining 30 per cent were better than before the operation.
In 6 patients with new accidents 1–3 years after the operation, it was possible to inspect the transplanted ligament at arthrotomy. The ligament was functioning well. It was ensheathed by synovium, and blood-vessels were seen to enter from both ends.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Behandling av Invetererad Ruptur av Främre Korsbandet.Svenska Läkartidn. 1968; 64: 4479
- The Cruciate Ligaments of the Knee-joint.Br. J. Surg. 1920; 7: 505
- Reconstruction of the Anterior Cruciate Ligament.J. Bone Jt Surg. 1963; 45A: 925
- Prolongation of Tetracaine (Pentocaine) Spinal Anaesthesia by Supplementary Noradrenaline with Special Reference to its Mode of Action.Acta chir. scand. 1955;
- Resultat efter Operation av Invetererade Korsbandsskador.Nord. Med. 1970; 84: 921
- Roentgen Diagnosis of Rupture of Anterior Cruciate Ligament.Acta radiol. 1966; 4: 225
- Injuries to the Ligaments of the Knee: Diagnosis and Results of Operation.Injury. 1969; 1: 17
- A Method for Replacement of the Anterior Cruciate Ligament of the Knee.J. Bone Jt Surg. 1963; 45A: 905
- Injuries of the Knee Joint.1st ed. Livingstone, Edinburgh1946
- Injuries of the Knee Joint.4th ed. Livingstone, Edinburgh and London1970
© 1971 Published by Elsevier Inc.