This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The repair process using Phemister-Charnley bone-grafting in 3-week-old radial fractures of dogs and the contribution of the graft to the process have been experimentally studied. The dogs were sacrificed from 3 days to 12 weeks after bone-grafting; the results were evaluated histologically, histochemically, by the oxytetracycline (OTC) fluorescence method, and by microradiography. Marginally the graft was invaded at an early stage by granulation tissue and new bone, mainly from the periosteum. The trabeculae of the cancellous bone-graft preserved their osteocyte nuclei in places for 4 weeks, although areas without nuclei were found. Six weeks after grafting, bony union between the fragments was verified by all methods. Remodelling occurred in accordance with the functional demand. In this study Phemister-Charnley bone-grafting seemed to activate repair, particularly in the early stage.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The Evaluation of Cortical and Cancellous Bone as Grafting Material. A Clinical and Experimental Study.J. Bone Jt Surg. 1947; 29: 381
- Studies in the Transplantation of Bone. VII. The Fresh Composite Homograft-autograft of Cancellous Bone. An Analysis of Factors leading to Osteogenesis in Marrow Transplants and in Marrow-containing Bone Grafts.J. Bone Jt Surg. 1964; 46B: 110
- The Closed Treatment of Common Fractures.Livingstone, Edinburgh and London1957
- Subcortical Iliac Bone Grafts in Fracture of Tibia.J. Bone Jt Surg. 1961; 40B: 42
- Bone and Cartilage Transplants.Br. J. Surg. 1941; 29: 182
- Treatment of Ununited Fractures by Onlay Bone Grafts without Screw or Tie Fixation and without Breaking down of the Fibrous Union.J. Bone Jt Surg. 1947; 29: 946
- Reorganization of Fresh and Preserved Bone Transplants. An Experimental Study in Rabbits using Tetracycline Labelling.Acta orthop. scand. 1966;
- New Concepts in Facial Bone Healing and Grafting Procedures.J. oral Surg. Anesth. Hosp. dent. Serv. 1969; 27: 557
- (in preparation)Subcortical Cancellous Bone Grafting (Phemister-Charnley) in the Treatment of Delayed Union of Tibial Shaft Fractures.1971
- Subcortical Bone Grafting (Phemister-Charnley) in the Treatment of Delayed Union of Tibial Shaft Fractures.Acta chir. scand. 1967; 133: 523
- The Mineral Phase in the Repair of Experimental Fractures. A Comparative Study on Rats using Microradiography, Oxytetracycline Labelling, and Microangiography.Annls Chir. Gynaec. Fenn. 1967; 56: 193
© 1971 Published by Elsevier Inc.