This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Thirty-nine cases of rupture of the ulnar collateral ligament of the metacarpophalangeal joint of the thumb are presented. All cases were operated on. Clinical instability was chosen as the indication for surgery. Thirty-one fresh cases were treated by direct suture of the ligament or by re-insertion of the ligament using pull-out wires through a drill hole in the bone, with good results. Late cases were treated by reconstruction of the ligament or by arthrodesis, and these only had fair results. It is stressed that a careful examination must be carried out and when instability is demonstrated, operation should be undertaken early.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Rupture of the Collateral Ligament of the Metacarpophalangeal Joint of the Thumb.J. Bone Jt Surg. 1955; 37B: 443
- Surgical Repair of Rupture of the Ulnar Collateral Ligament of the Metacarpo-phalangeal Joint of the Thumb.Acta chir. scand. 1956; 112: 58
- (Philadelphia: Lippincott)Functional and Surgical Anatomy of the Hand.2nd ed. Pitman Medical, London1965
- Complete Avulsion of the Ligamentous Apparatus of the Metacarpophalangeal Joint of the Thumb.Surgery Gynec. Obstet. 1963; 116: 95
- Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics.4th ed. Mosby, St Louis1963
- Injuries to the Ligaments of the Thumb and Fingers. Diagnosis, Treatment and Prognosis.Acta chir. scand. 1953; 106: 166
- Rupture of the Ulnar Collateral Ligament of the Metacarpophalangeal Joint of the Thumb.Int. Surg. 1966; 45: 669
- Displacement of the Ruptured Ulnar Collateral Ligament of the Metacarpophalangeal Joint of the Thumb. A Clinical and Anatomical Study.J. Bone Jt Surg. 1962; 44B: 869
- Total Rupture of the Ulnar Collateral Ligament of the Metacarpo-phalangeal Joint of the Thumb.Acta chir. scand. 1959; 118: 72
- Die geschlossenen Bandverletzungen des Daumengrundgelenks.Hft Unfallheilk. 1958; 56: 45
© 1970 Published by Elsevier Inc.