This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
A two-stage method of treatment of open injuries of the extremities is described consisting of primary surgical toilet of the skin and excision of the wound, leaving the wound itself open and covered with a dressing moistened with 0·005 per cent cetrimide. The dressing is changed daily. Within a few days the definitive treatment is undertaken with further excision and repair of severed tendons and nerves. Skin closure is obtained by suture or graft.
The results of this treatment in 881 cases is reported. Eight hundred and forty-one wounds healed without infection, 15 cases had small stitch abscesses or slight transitory erythema, and definite infection of the wound occurred in 25 cases. This amounts to a total of 2·8 per cent compared with 4·9 per cent of infections occurring in a series of 283 cases treated by primary suture.
This method is considered satisfactory because there are relatively few cases of infection and as it allows early repair of divided tendons and nerves at a time when the patient is well prepared and operating conditions are at their best.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Gun-shot Fractures of the Extremities.Libraries de l'Academie de Medecine, Paris1918
- Emergency Treatment of Bone and Joint Casualties.J. Bone Jt Surg. 1950; 32A: 235
- Delayed Primary Closure of Wounds with Compound Fractures.J. Bone Jt Surg. 1945; 27A: 452
- “Delayed Emergency” in Fresh Wounds of the Hand.in: Proc. R. Soc. Med.51. 1958: 713
- Behandling af Bløddelssaar med Excision, Penicillinpudder og “Sen” Prim˦r Sutur.Nord. Med. 1946; 32: 2258
- “Delayed Emergency” Treatment of Open Lesions of the Extremities.Acta orthop. scand. 1963; 33: 380
- Primary Tendon Suture with Delayed Emergency Operation.in: Stack H.G. The Second Hand Club. Warley Hospital, Essex1963: 2
- Delayed Primary Tendon Suture.J. Bone Jt Surg. 1964; 46B: 357
- Akut Extremitetskirurgi.Maanedsskr. prakt. Laegeg. soc. Med. 1964; (May): 189
- War Wounds—Primary and Secondary Suture.J. Am. med. Ass. 1919; 73: 383
- Emergency War Surgery Handbook (in Danish).SHAPE, Paris1957
- Primary Repair of Flexor Tendons.J. Bone Jt Surg. 1960; 42A: 647
© 1970 Published by Elsevier Inc.