This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Studies with radioactively labelled fibrinogen given to elderly and young injured patients subjected to reparative surgery showed that:—
- 1.The actual amount of labelled protein (mg. per kg.) catabolized per day was increased to between 2 and 3 times normal, in both the young and elderly patients.
- 2.In elderly injured patients more radioactivity was found outside the active circulation than found outside the circulation of young injured patients or in normal persons. This radioactivity outside the circulation had a longer biological half-life than that of the plasma fibrinogen, suggesting that the non-circulating radioactivity was attached to fibrin.
- 3.The rate of synthesis of fibrinogen was increased in both the young and elderly injured patients.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Platelet and Fibrinogen Survival in Normal and Abnormal States of Coagulation.Blood. 1961; 17: 267
- Turnover and Distribution of 131Iodine labelled Human Fibrinogen.Thromb. Diath. haemorrh. 1964; 11: 404
- Postoperative Anticoagulant Prophylaxis of Venous Thrombosis with Dicoumarol.Zentbl. Phlebol. 1967; 6: 30
- Studies of Plasma Protein Metabolism. I. Albumin in Burned and Injured Patients.Clin. Sci. 1962; 23: 411
- Studies of Plasma Protein Metabolism. III. Fibrinogen in Burned Patients.Clin. Sci. 1966; 30: 305
- Microthrombosis in Injured and Burned Patients.J. Path. Bact. 1967; 93: 275
- Changes in the Coagulation System following Major Surgical Operations.Acta med. scand. 1962; 171: 679
- Metabolic Studies on Folic Acid in Malignancy.Cancer Res. 1966; 26: 340
- ([in Swedish])Plasma Elimination of Nutrients (P.E.O.N.) causing Secondary Nutritional Maldistribution Anaemia.in: Transactions of the Swedish Physicians National Conference. 1968
- Postoperative Deep Vein Thrombosis—Effect of Intensive Prophylaxis.Lancet. 1969; 1: 477
- Studies in Anemia of Injury.Acta chir. scand. 1956;
- Quantitative and Qualitative Changes in Fibrinogen following Major Surgical Operations.Acta med. scand. 1962; 171: 687
- Coagulation and Fibrinolysis in Injured Patients.J. clin. Path. 1964; 17: 1
- Blood Volume and Plasma Protein. V. Changes in Blood Volume and Plasma Proteins on Administration of Different Substitutes after Operations in Man.Acta chir. scand. 1968; 134: 1
- Metabolism of Plasma Proteins in Injury States. I. Turnover Rates of Fibrinogen in Burned Patients labelled with [35S] Methionine.Clin. Sci. 1969; 36: 231
- Fibrinogen Turnover after Massive Haemorrhage in Dogs studied with radioactively labelled Fibrinogen.Acta chir. scand. 1968; 134: 410
- Studies concerning the Turnover of Fibrinogen I131 in the Dog.J. Lab. clin. Med. 1961; 58: 247
- Studies on Trauma. III. Plasma Iron Elimination Rate.Acta chir. scand. 1969; 135: 275
- In vivo Behaviour of I131 Fibrinogen.J. clin. Invest. 1963; 42: 346
- Fibrinogen Catabolism in Humans.Clin. Sci. 1964; 26: 415
- Albumin and Globulin Changes in Burns as demonstrated by Electrophoresis.Archs Surg., Chicago. 1952; 64: 733
- The Use of 131Fibrinogen for in Vivo Studies. Labelled Proteins in Tracer Studies.Euratom Brussels. 1966; 85 (EUR 2950 d, f, e)
- Clinical Whole Body Counting—Whole Body Scanner with Two Crystals.Acta radiol. 1966; 4: 209
- (ch. 2)Burns—Pathology and Therapeutic Applications.Butterworths, London1957
- Prevention of Venous Thrombosis and Pulmonary Embolism in Injured Patients.Lancet. 1959; 2: 981
- Studies of the Metabolism and Distribution of Fibrinogen in Healthy Men with Autologous 125I labelled Fibrinogen.J. clin. Invest. 1966; 45: 103
- Postoperative Alterations in the Coagulation Mechanism of the Blood.Archs Surg., Chicago. 1950; 61: 419
© 1970 Published by Elsevier Inc.