- •The stringency of motorcycle helmet safety legislation varies widely across the US.
- •States with more stringent laws had significantly lower unhelmeted fatalities per 100,000 people and 100,000 motorcycles.
- •Exemptions to helmet wearing for certain riders and motorcycle-like vehicles significantly predicted higher fatalities.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Global burden of road traffic accidents in older adults: a systematic review and meta-regression analysis.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2017; 72: 32-38https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2017.05.004
- Morbidity and mortality from road injuries: results from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017.Inj Prev. 2020; 26: i46-i56https://doi.org/10.1136/injuryprev-2019-043302
- Road traffic injuries: a major global public health crisis.Public Health. 2008; 122: 1399-1406https://doi.org/10.1016/j.puhe.2008.06.009
- The global burden of road injury: its relevance to the emergency physician.Emerg Med Int. 2014; 2014139219https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/139219
- The burden of road traffic crashes, injuries and deaths in Africa: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Bull World Health Organ. 2016; 94: 510-521Ahttps://doi.org/10.2471/BLT.15.163121
- Prevalence of motorcycle accidents and its associated factors among road traffic accident patients in hawassa university comprehensive specialized hospital, 2019.Open Access Emerg Med. 2021; 13: 213-220https://doi.org/10.2147/OAEM.S291510
- Global Progress in Road Injury Mortality since 2010.PLoS ONE. 2016; 11e0164560https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0164560
- Barriers and factors associated with the use of helmets by Motorcyclists: a scoping review.Accid Anal Prev. 2022; 171106667https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2022.106667
Motorcycle Safety | NHTSA n.d. https://www.nhtsa.gov/road-safety/motorcycles (accessed June 9, 2022).
- Injury Patterns among Motorcyclist Trauma Patients: a Cross Sectional Study on 4200 Patients.Arch Bone Jt Surg. 2019; 7: 367-372
- Epidemiology, injury characteristics and clinical outcomes of bicycle and motorcycle accidents in the under 20 population: south Korea.BMC Emerg Med. 2022; 22: 56https://doi.org/10.1186/s12873-022-00614-8
- The protective performance of modern motorcycle helmets under oblique impacts.Ann Biomed Eng. 2022; https://doi.org/10.1007/s10439-022-02963-8
- Clinical epidemiology of head injury from road-traffic trauma in a developing country in the current era.Front Neurol. 2017; 8: 695https://doi.org/10.3389/fneur.2017.00695
- Helmets for preventing injury in motorcycle riders.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004; CD004333https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD004333.pub2
- Differential protective effects of motorcycle helmets against head injury.Traffic Inj Prev. 2017; 18: 387-392https://doi.org/10.1080/15389588.2016.1211271
- The impact of helmet use on outcomes after a motorcycle crash.Injury. 2017; 48: 1093-1097https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2017.02.006
- Motorcycle helmet selection and usage for improved safety: a systematic review on the protective effects of helmet type and fastening.Traffic Inj Prev. 2021; 22: 301-306https://doi.org/10.1080/15389588.2021.1894640
- Adolescents’ attitudes and behaviour towards motorcycle helmet use in Italy.Eur J Pediatr. 2005; 164: 207-211https://doi.org/10.1007/s00431-004-1604-9
- Understanding reasons for non-compliance in motorcycle helmet use among adolescents in Greece.Inj Prev. 2009; 15: 19-23https://doi.org/10.1136/ip.2008.019356
- The effect of helmets on motorcycle outcomes in a level I trauma center in Connecticut.Traffic Inj Prev. 2016; 17: 633-637https://doi.org/10.1080/15389588.2015.1136059
- Universal Motorcycle Helmet Laws to Reduce Injuries: a Community Guide Systematic Review.Am J Prev Med. 2017; 52: 820-832https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2016.11.030
- Injury prevention strategies to promote helmet use decrease severe head injuries at a level I trauma center.J Trauma. 1995; 39 (discussion 34-35): 29-33https://doi.org/10.1097/00005373-199507000-00004
- Measuring compliance with Viet Nam's mandatory motorcycle helmet legislation.Int J Inj Contr Saf Promot. 2013; 20: 192-196https://doi.org/10.1080/17457300.2012.706617
- Motorcycle helmet effectiveness in reducing head, face and brain injuries by state and helmet law.Inj Epidemiol. 2016; 3: 8https://doi.org/10.1186/s40621-016-0072-9
- Exploring the economics of motorcycle helmet laws–implications for low and middle-income countries.Asia Pac J Public Health. 2007; 19: 16-22https://doi.org/10.1177/10105395070190020401
- Motorcycle Helmet Laws in the United States From 1990 to 2005: politics and Public Health.Am J Public Health. 2009; 99: 415-423https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2008.134106
- Federally mandating motorcycle helmets in the United States.BMC Public Health. 2016; 16: 242https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-016-2914-3
- Paradoxes of American Individualism.Sociological Forum. 2008; 23: 363-372https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1573-7861.2008.00066.x
- Effects of repealing the motorcycle helmet law in Michigan.Am J Surg. 2017; 214: 407-412https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2016.09.052
- Unhelmeted Motorcycle Riders Have Increased Injury Burden: a Need to Revisit Universal Helmet Laws.J Surg Res. 2019; 242: 177-182https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2019.03.023
- Changes in motorcycle-related head injury deaths, hospitalizations, and hospital charges following repeal of Pennsylvania's mandatory motorcycle helmet law.Am J Public Health. 2008; 98: 1464-1467https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2007.123299
- Ride-hailing with kids: who's got their back?.J Safety Res. 2021; 79: 117-124https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsr.2021.08.012
- Regional differences in pediatric firearm-related emergency department visits and the association with firearm legislation.Pediatr Emerg Care. 2021; 37: e692https://doi.org/10.1097/PEC.0000000000001779
- Father-friendly legislation and paternal time across Western Europe.J Comparative Pol Anal: Res Practice. 2007; 9: 175-192https://doi.org/10.1080/13876980701311604
- Reducing traffic fatalities in the American States by upgrading seat belt use laws to primary enforcement.J Policy Anal Manage. 2006; 25: 645-659https://doi.org/10.1002/pam.20195
- Strategies to increase seat belt use: an analysis of levels of fines and the type of law.National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 2010
CrashStats - NHTSA - DOT n.d. https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/#!/#%2F (accessed June 9, 2022).
Bureau UC. 2019 US Population Estimates Continue to Show the Nation's Growth Is Slowing. CensusGov n.d. https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2019/popest-nation.html (accessed June 9, 2022).
Motorcycles registered in the United States, 2002-2021. IIHS-HLDI Crash Testing and Highway Safety n.d. https://www.iihs.org/topics/bibliography/ref/2225 (accessed June 10, 2022).
Bureau UC. Geographic Levels. CensusGov n.d. https://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/economic-census/guidance-geographies/levels.html (accessed July 13, 2022).
Statute | Kansas State Legislature n.d. http://www.kslegislature.org/li_2012/b2011_12/statute/008_000_0000_chapter/008_015_0000_article/008_015_0098_section/008_015_0098_k/ (accessed June 9, 2022).
Michigan Legislature - Section 257.658 n.d. http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(m1qwtmvgwysqmwee4oegw0om))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-257-658 (accessed June 9, 2022).
2013 New Jersey Revised Statutes:: Title 39 - MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC REGULATION:: Section 39:3-76.7 - Protective helmets. Justia Law n.d. https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2013/title-39/section-39-3-76.7 (accessed June 9, 2022).
Helmets | Maine State Legislature n.d. https://legislature.maine.gov/lawlibrary/what-is-maines-law-on-helmets/9470 (accessed June 9, 2022).
2015 Nevada Revised Statutes:: Chapter 486 - Motorcycles and Similar Vehicles:: NRS 486.231 - Protective headgear and glasses: standards; when use required. Justia Law n.d. https://law.justia.com/codes/nevada/2015/chapter-486/statute-486.231/ (accessed June 9, 2022).
2010 Georgia Code:: TITLE 40 - motor vehicles and traffic:: chapter 6 - uniform rules of the road:: article 13 - special provisions for certain vehicles:: part 2 - motorcycles:: § 40-6-315 - Headgear and eye-protective devices for riders. Justia Law n.d. https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2010/title-40/chapter-6/article-13/part-2/40-6-315 (accessed June 9, 2022).
2019 Maryland Code:: Transportation:: Title 21 - Vehicle Laws – Rules of the Road:: Subtitle 13 - Operation of Motorcycles:: § 21-1306 Equipment for riders – Motorcycles. Justia Law n.d. https://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2019/transportation/title-21/subtitle-13/sect-21-1306/ (accessed June 9, 2022).
2016 Colorado Revised Statutes:: Title 42 -:: Vehicles and Traffic:: Regulation of Vehicles and Traffic:: Article 4 - Regulation of Vehicles and Traffic:: Part 15 -:: Motorcycles:: § 42-4-1502. Riding on motorcycles - protective helmet. Justia Law n.d. https://law.justia.com/codes/colorado/2016/title-42/regulation-of-vehicles-and-traffic/article-4/part-15/section-42-4-1502 (accessed June 9, 2022).
New traffic law will require moped, scooter riders to wear helmets come Oct. 1. KLAS 2019. https://www.8newsnow.com/news/local-news/new-traffic-law-will-require-moped-scooter-riders-to-wear-helmets-come-oct-1/ (accessed July 6, 2022).
2010 Arkansas Code:: Title 27 - Transportation:: Subtitle 2 - Motor Vehicle Registration And Licensing:: Chapter 20 - Operation of Motorized Cycles and All-Terrain Vehicles:: Subchapter 1 - Motorcycles, Motor-Driven Cycles, and Motorized Bicycles:: § 27-20-104 - Standard equipment required. Justia Law n.d. https://law.justia.com/codes/arkansas/2010/title-27/subtitle-2/chapter-20/subchapter-1/27-20-104 (accessed June 27, 2022).
Pennsylvania Code, Article VI, Chapter 107 - MOTORCYCLE HELMETS | Pennsylvania Code | Justia. Justia Law n.d. https://regulations.justia.com/states/pennsylvania/title-67/part-i/subpart-a/article-vi/chapter-107/(accessed June 27, 2022).
2006 Ohio Revised Code - 4511.53. Rules for bicycles, motorcycles and snowmobiles. Justia Law n.d. https://law.justia.com/codes/ohio/2006/orc/jd_451153-ebc5.html (accessed June 27, 2022).
Motorcycles: Motorcycle helmet laws by state. IIHS-HLDI Crash Testing and Highway Safety n.d. https://www.iihs.org/topics/motorcycles/motorcycle-helmet-laws-table (accessed July 6, 2022).
Boyd T. “Wanted to be home”: a record high, SC motorcyclist deaths devastate families. The Greenville News n.d. https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/south-carolina/2022/01/25/motorcyclist-deaths-have-reached-record-high-south-carolina/6492620001/ (accessed June 9, 2022).
Staff. South Carolina motorcycle deaths reach four-decade high point. Https://WwwWrdwCom n.d. https://www.wrdw.com/2022/01/28/sc-motorcycle-deaths-reach-four-decade-high-point/ (accessed June 9, 2022).
Fatality Count n.d. https://fatality-count-scdps.hub.arcgis.com/ (accessed July 13, 2022).
Bopp C. 2021 on track to be South Carolina's deadliest year on roadways. Https://WwwWrdwCom n.d. https://www.wrdw.com/2021/12/03/2021-track-be-south-carolinas-deadliest-year-roadways/ (accessed July 13, 2022).
Missouri Code of State Regulations | Title 12 - DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE | Division 10 - Director of Revenue | Chapter 40 - Motorcycle Helmet Standards. Justia Law n.d. https://regulations.justia.com/states/missouri/title-12/division-10/chapter-40/ (accessed June 9, 2022).
- Adolescent noncompliance with age-specific versus universal US motorcycle helmet laws: systematic review and meta-analysis.J Safety Res. 2021; 76: 166-175https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsr.2020.12.011
- Repeal of the Michigan helmet law: the evolving clinical impact.The Am J Surg. 2016; 211: 529-533https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2015.11.004
- The impact of the repeal of Michigan's universal helmet law on traumatic brain injury: a statewide analysis.The Am J Surg. 2018; 215: 424-427https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2017.09.033
- The impact of michigan's partial repeal of the universal motorcycle helmet law on helmet use, fatalities, and head injuries.Am J Public Health. 2017; 107: 166-172https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2016.303525
Missouri Statistical Analysis Home Page n.d. https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/SAC/Compendium/TrafficCompendium.html# (accessed June 9, 2022).
- Impact of helmet use on injury and financial burden of motorcycle and moped crashes in hawai‘i: analysis of a linked statewide database.Hawaii J Med Public Health. 2016; 75: 379-385
- The economic impact of helmet use on motorcycle accidents: a systematic review and meta-analysis of the literature from the past 20 years.Traffic Inj Prev. 2015; 16: 1-7https://doi.org/10.1080/15389588.2015.1005207
- Impact of motorcycle helmets and state laws on society's burden: a national study.Ann Surg. 2009; 250: 390-394https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0b013e3181b365a2
Motorcycle injury prevention | health impact in 5 years | health system transformation | AD for Policy | CDC 2022. https://www.cdc.gov/policy/hst/hi5/motorcycleinjury/index.html (accessed June 11, 2022).
- State helmet laws and helmet use among fatally injured moped riders in the United States, 2011-2015.Traffic Inj Prev. 2018; 19: 270-273https://doi.org/10.1080/15389588.2017.1383604
- More helmets fewer deaths: motorcycle helmet legislation impacts traumatic brain injury-related mortality in young adults.Am Surg. 2017; 83: 541-546
- Impact of helmet laws on motorcycle crash mortality rates.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2020; 89: 962-970https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0000000000002861
- Accuracy of mild traumatic brain injury diagnosis.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2008; 89: 1550-1555https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2007.12.035
- A comparison of emergency department medical records to parental self-reporting of traumatic brain injury symptoms.Concussion. 2018; 3: CNC52https://doi.org/10.2217/cnc-2017-0017