- •This manuscript first describes the ECMO rate in TBI patients, which is 1.1%.
- •61.9% of all TBI patients treated with ECMO were discharged alive.
- •TBI patients with ECMO treatment present with a higher rate of a severe chest trauma and a higher rate of packed red blood cell transfusion.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Estimating the global incidence of traumatic brain injury.J Neurosurg. 2018; (April 1Epub ahead of print): 1-18https://doi.org/10.3171/2017.10.JNS17352
- Impact of Glasgow Coma Scale score and pupil parameters on mortality rate and outcome in pediatric and adult severe traumatic brain injury: a retrospective, multicenter cohort study.J Neurosurg. 2017; 126 (MarchEpub 2016 Apr 1): 760-767https://doi.org/10.3171/2016.1.JNS152385
- Thoracic Trauma Severity score on admission allows to determine the risk of delayed ARDS in trauma patients with pulmonary contusion.Injury. 2016; 47 (JanuaryEpub 2015 Aug 29): 147-153https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2015.08.031
- Prolonged extracorporeal oxygenation for acute post-traumatic respiratory failure (shock-lung syndrome). Use of the Bramson membrane lung.N Engl J Med. 1972; 286 (March 23): 629-634https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM197203232861204
- Single center experience with veno-venous extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in patients with traumatic brain injury.Am Surg. 2020; (Dec 9Epub ahead of print)3134820956360https://doi.org/10.1177/0003134820956360
- Case characteristics, resource use, and outcomes of 10,021 patients with COVID-19 admitted to 920 German hospitals: an observational study.Lancet Respir Med. 2020; 8 (SepEpub 2020 Jul 28. PMID: 32735842; PMCID: PMC7386882): 853-862https://doi.org/10.1016/S2213-2600(20)30316-7
- The injury severity score: a method for describing patients with multiple injuries and evaluating emergency care.J Trauma. 1974; 14: 187-196
- Trauma registry of the German Society for trauma surgery. Introduction of a novel trauma score.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2012; 73 (Dec): 1607-1613https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0b013e318270d572
- Update of the trauma risk adjustment model of the TraumaRegister DGU: the revised injury severity classification, version II.Crit Care. 2014; 18: 476https://doi.org/10.1186/s13054-014-0476-2
- The definition of polytrauma revisited: an international consensus process and proposal of the new 'Berlin definition'.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2014; 77 (Nov): 780-786https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0000000000000453
- Pulmonary contusion: an update on recent advances in clinical management.World J Surg. 2010; 34 (Aug): 1959-1970https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-010-0599-9
- Trauma section of the german interdisciplinary association of critical care, emergency medicine (DIVI). Trauma patients with SARS-CoV-2 in German ICUs during the 2nd wave of the COVID-19 pandemic.Eur J Trauma Emerg Surg. 2021; (Nov 15Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34779869; PMCID: PMC8592079): 1-5https://doi.org/10.1007/s00068-021-01829-3
- Extracorporeal life support in patients with multiple injuries and severe respiratory failure: a single-center experience?.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2013; 75 (Nov): 907-912https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0b013e3182a8334f
- The use of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in trauma patients: a national case-control study.Medicine (Baltimore). 2018; 97 (SepPMID: 30200143; PMCID: PMC6133399): e12223https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000012223
- Predictors of hospital mortality in adult trauma patients receiving extracorporeal membrane oxygenation for advanced life support: a retrospective cohort study.Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med. 2018; 26 (Feb 8PMID: 29422067; PMCID: PMC5806237): 14https://doi.org/10.1186/s13049-018-0481-6
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in trauma patients: a systematic review.World J Emerg Surg. 2020; 15 (Sep 11PMID: 32912280; PMCID: PMC7488245): 51https://doi.org/10.1186/s13017-020-00331-2
- The incidence and management of moderate to severe head injury.Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2019; 116 (Mar 8PMID: 30995953; PMCID: PMC6482369): 167-173https://doi.org/10.3238/arztebl.2019.0167
- Extracorporeal life support in trauma: worth the risks? A systematic review of published series.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2017; 82 (Feb): 400-406https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0000000000001292
- Outcome measures of extracorporeal life support (ECLS) in trauma patients versus patients without trauma: a 7-year single-center retrospective cohort study.J Artif Organs. 2017; 20 (JunEpub 2016 Nov 30): 117-124https://doi.org/10.1007/s10047-016-0938-1
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in trauma: a single institution experience and review of the literature.Int J Artif Organs. 2018; 41 (DecEpub 2018 Aug 17): 845-853https://doi.org/10.1177/0391398818794111
- Extracorporeal decarboxylation in patients with severe traumatic brain injury and ARDS enables effective control of intracranial pressure.Crit Care. 2015; 19 (Oct 30PMID: 26518584; PMCID: PMC4627375): 381https://doi.org/10.1186/s13054-015-1088-1
- High in-hospital mortality rate in patients with COVID-19 receiving extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in Germany: a critical analysis.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2021; 204 (Oct 15PMID: 34283685; PMCID: PMC8534613): 991-994https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.202105-1145LE
- Acute respiratory distress syndrome in blunt trauma: identification of independent risk factors.Am Surg. 2002; 68 (Octdiscussion 850-1): 845-850
- Red blood cell transfusions and the risk of acute respiratory distress syndrome among the critically ill: a cohort study.Crit Care. 2007; 11 (PMID: 17553147; PMCID: PMC2206425): R63https://doi.org/10.1186/cc5934
- Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) after trauma: improving incidence, but increasing mortality.J Crit Care. 2021; 64 (May 13Epub ahead of print): 213-218https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcrc.2021.05.003
- Early packed red blood cell transfusion and acute respiratory distress syndrome after trauma.Anesthesiology. 2009; 110 (Feb): 351-360https://doi.org/10.1097/ALN.0b013e3181948a97
- Predictors of early acute lung injury at a combat support hospital: a prospective observational study.J Trauma. 2010; 69 (Jul): S81-S86https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0b013e3181e44a32
- Risks associated with red blood cell transfusion in the trauma population, a meta-analysis.Injury. 2014; 45 (OctEpub 2014 May 24): 1522-1533https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2014.05.015
- A systematic literature review of packed red cell transfusion usage in adult extracorporeal membrane oxygenation.Membranes (Basel). 2021; 11 (Mar 30PMID: 33808419; PMCID: PMC8065680): 251https://doi.org/10.3390/membranes11040251
- Epidemiology and outcomes of acute respiratory distress syndrome following isolated severe traumatic brain injury.J Intensiv Care Med. 2020; (Nov 15Epub ahead of print)885066620972001https://doi.org/10.1177/0885066620972001
- Prolonged heparin-free extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in multiple injured acute respiratory distress syndrome patients with traumatic brain injury.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2012; 72 (May): 1444-1447https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0b013e31824d68e3