- •Thoracic trauma is an important cause of morbidity and mortality in children exposed to blast and early recognition of these injuries is vital.
- •No studies have investigated the sensitivity of chest X-ray (CXR) for the detection of chest injury in paediatric blast casualties.
- •CXR findings were compared to the ‘gold standard’ of CT for detection of significant thoracic injuries in 103 children who were injured by blast.
- •CXR has low sensitivity for detecting thoracic injury in children exposed to blast, necessitating a low threshold for the use of CT for such patients.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Denselow J., Edwards J., Salarkia K. Blast Injuries: the impact of explosive weapons on children in conflict. 2019.
Eastern Ukraine one of the areas most contaminated by landmines in the world. United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. https://www.unocha.org/story/eastern-ukraine-one-areas-most-contaminated-landmines-world 2019.
Ukraine: civilian casualty update 22 August 2022. Office of the high commissioner for human rights. https://www.ohchr.org/en/news/2022/08/ukraine-civilian-casualty-update-22-august-2022
- Management of chest trauma in children.Paediatr Respir Rev. 2013; 14 (2013/06//): 86-91https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prrv.2013.02.011
- Blast injuries in children: a mixed-methods narrative review.BMJ Paediatr Open. 2019; 3e000452https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjpo-2019-000452
- Primary blast lung injury - a review.Br J Anaesth. 2017; 118 (Mar 1): 311-316https://doi.org/10.1093/bja/aew385
- Not just little adults' - a pediatric trauma primer.R I Med J. 2013; 97 (Jan 3 2014): 27-30
Paediatric trauma protocols. Ref No. BFCR(14)8 ed: The royal college of radiologists; 2014.
- Plain radiography may be safely omitted for selected major trauma patients undergoing whole body CT: database study.Emerg Med Int. 2012; 2012432537https://doi.org/10.1155/2012/432537
- Accuracy of chest radiography versus chest computed tomography in hemodynamically stable patients with blunt chest trauma.Chin J Traumatol. 2013; 16: 351-354
- Added value of routine chest MDCT after blunt trauma: evaluation of additional findings and impact on patient management.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2008; 190 (Jun): 1591-1598https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.07.3277
- Epidemiological study of child casualties of landmines and unexploded ordnances: a national study from Iran.Prehosp Disaster Med. 2015; 30: 472-477https://doi.org/10.1017/S1049023X15005105
- Focused assessment with sonography in trauma (FAST) performance in paediatric conflict injury.Clin Radiol. 2022; 77 (Jul): 529-534https://doi.org/10.1016/j.crad.2022.04.001
- NEXUS chest: validation of a decision instrument for selective chest imaging in blunt trauma.JAMA Surg. 2013; 148 (Oct): 940-946https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2013.2757
- CT findings in blast lung injury.BMJ Case Rep. 2012; (Mar 202012)https://doi.org/10.1136/bcr.08.2011.4713
Diagnostic test evaluation calculator. MedCalc software Ltd. Accessed November 2nd, 2021.
Trauma ACoSCo. Advanced trauma life support student course manual. Tenth edition ed. 2018.
- Practice management guidelines for management of hemothorax and occult pneumothorax.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2011; 70
- Chest X-rays in detecting injuries caused by blunt trauma.World J Emerg Med. 2016; 7: 55-58https://doi.org/10.5847/wjem.j.1920-8642.2016.01.010
- Efficacy of thoracic computerized tomography in blunt chest trauma.Am Surg. 2001; 67 (Jul): 660-664
- Value of thoracic computed tomography in the first assessment of severely injured patients with blunt chest trauma: results of a prospective study.J Trauma. 1997; 43 (Sepdiscussion 411-2): 405-411https://doi.org/10.1097/00005373-199709000-00003
- Do we really need routine computed tomographic scanning in the primary evaluation of blunt chest trauma in patients with "normal" chest radiograph?.J Trauma. 2001; 51 (Dec): 1173-1176https://doi.org/10.1097/00005373-200112000-00025
- CT as a first-line modality in elderly patients with stable blunt chest trauma.Chin J Traumatol. 2021; 24 (Sep): 255-260https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cjtee.2021.03.009