- •The psychiatric morbidity of injured patients presenting with deliberate self-harm (DSH) which is often overlooked as a cause of major trauma.
- •Timely review of patients with DSJ by liaison psychiatry is an essential part of patient care ensuring the appropriate level of care.
- •Raising awareness of patients with mental health needs across the pathway for the major trauma patients is crucial.
Patients and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The global burden of injury: incidence, mortality, disability-adjusted life years and time trends from the global burden of disease study 2013.Inj Prev. 2016; 22: 3-18
- Projections of global mortality and burden of disease from 2002 to 2030.PLoS Med. 2006; 3: e442
- Suicide attempt in young people: a signal for long-term health care and social needs.JAMA Psychiatry. 2014; 71: 119-127
- Fatal and non-fatal repetition of self-harm. Systematic review.Br J Psychiatry. 2002; 181: 193-199
- The Repeated Episodes of Self-Harm (RESH) score: a tool for predicting risk of future episodes of self-harm by hospital patients.J Affect Disord. 2014; 161: 36-42
- Trends in US emergency department visits for attempted suicide and self-inflicted injury, 1993-2008.Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2012; 34: 557-565
- Suicide and suicidal behavior.Epidemiol Rev. 2008; 30: 133-154
WHO. Suicide [Available from: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/suicide accessed 20/9/2022 2022.
National Health Service, NHS. Standard Contract For Major Trauma Service, England, 2013. [Available from: https://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/d15-major-trauma-0414.pdf Accessed 01/04/2021].
National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, NICE. Self-harm in over 8s: long-term management, 2011. [Available from: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg133. Accessed 02/04/2021.
National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, NICE. Major trauma: service delivery, 2016. [Available from: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng40 Accessed 01/04/2021].
- Self-inflicted penetrating injuries at a Level I Trauma Center.Injury. 2011; 42: 474-477
- Mortality, functional and return to work outcomes of major trauma patients injured from deliberate self-harm.Injury. 2017; 48: 184-194
- The burden attributable to mental and substance use disorders as risk factors for suicide: findings from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e91936
- An audit of suicide attempt admissions over a four-year period in a UK Major Trauma Centre.Trauma. 2018; 20: 94-99
- Admission to a UK Major Trauma Centre following deliberate self-harm and attempted suicide: Prevalence and outcomes.Trauma. 2020; 22: 285-294
National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, NICE. Achieving Better Access to 24/7 Urgent and Emergency Mental Health Care – Part 2: Implementing the Evidence-based Treatment Pathway for Urgent and Emergency Liaison Mental Health Services for Adults and Older Adults – Guidance, 2016. [Available from: https://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/lmhs-guidance.pdf Accessed 05/05/2021].
Aitken P, Robens S, Emmens T. Models for Liaison Psychiatry Services - Guidance 2014 [Available from: http://mentalhealthpartnerships.com/resource/developing-models-for-liaison-psychiatry-services Accessed 05/05/2021].
National Health Service, NHS Health Research Authority. Governance arrangements for Research Ethics Committees, 2020 [Available from: https://www.hra.nhs.uk/planning-and-improving-research/policies-standards-legislation/governance-arrangement-research-ethics-committees/ Accessed 05/05/2021].
- Self harm is an independent predictor of mortality in trauma and burns patients admitted to ICU.Injury. 2012; 43: 1562-1565
- Self-inflicted abdominal stab wounds.Injury. 2003; 34: 35-39
- Surgical and psychiatric profile of patients who self-harm by burning in a regional burn unit over an 11-year period.Scott Med J. 2016; 61: 17-25
- Deliberate self-harm in a nonclinical population: prevalence and psychological correlates.Am J Psychiatry. 2003; 160: 1501-1508
- Use of AUDIT-C as a tool to identify hazardous alcohol consumption in admitted trauma patients.Injury. 2014; 45: 1440-1444
- Alcohol and trauma: the perfect storm.J Trauma. 2005; 59 (discussion S67-75): S53-S56
- Alcohol and injury among attendees at a busy inner city New Zealand emergency department.Injury. 2018; 49: 798-805
- Alcohol and injuries: a review of international emergency room studies since 1995.Drug Alcohol Rev. 2007; 26: 201-214
- Brief interventions for heavy alcohol users admitted to general hospital wards.Cochrane Datab Syst Rev. 2011; CD005191
- The AUDIT questionnaire: choosing a cut-off score. Alcohol use disorder identification test.Addiction. 1995; 90: 1349-1356
- The AUDIT alcohol consumption questions (AUDIT-C): an effective brief screening test for problem drinking. Ambulatory Care Quality Improvement Project (ACQUIP). Alcohol use disorders identification test.Arch Intern Med. 1998; 158: 1789-1795
- Validating the Injury Severity Score (ISS) in different populations: ISS predicts mortality better among Hispanics and females.J Surg Res. 2011; 166: 40-44