Abbreviations:confidence intervals ((CI)), geospatial information system ((GIS)), interquartile range ((IQR)), Multiple Indicator Cluster Surveys ((MICS)), primary sampling units ((PSU)), road traffic injuries ((RTI)), sub-Saharan Africa ((SSA)), Resource limited setting ((RLS)), World Health Organization ((WHO))
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Global and national burden of diseases and injuries among children and adolescents between 1990 and 2013: findings from the global burden of disease 2013 study.JAMA Pediatr. 2016; 170: 267-287
- Children and adolescents injured in traffic - associated psychological consequences: a literature review.Acta Paediatr. 2009; 98: 17-22https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1651-2227.2008.00998.x
- Post-traumatic stress impacts on quality of life in children after road traffic accidents: prospective study.Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2009; 43: 746-753
- Prevalence of posttraumatic stress disorder among children and adolescents following road traffic accidents: a meta-analysis.Can J Psychiatry. 2018; 63: 798-808
- The economic burden of road traffic injuries on households in South Asia.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0164362
- Road traffic injuries: a major global public health crisis.Public Health. 2008; 122: 1399-1406
- Global status report on road safety.World Health Organization, Genève, Switzerland2018 (2019)
- Factors associated with road traffic injuries in Tanzania.Pan Afr Med J. 2016; 23: 46
- A retrospective study on the epidemiology and trends of road traffic accidents, fatalities and injuries in three Municipalities of Dar es Salaam Region, Tanzania between 2014-2018.Pan Afr Med J. 2020; 36: 24
- Prevalence and factors associated with road traffic incident among adolescents and children in the hospitals of Amhara National Regional State, Ethiopia.BMC Emerg Med. 2019; 19: 25
- Patterns of road traffic accident, nature of related injuries, and post-crash outcome determinants in western Ethiopia - a hospital based study.Afr J Emerg Med. 2021; 11: 123-131
- The global macroeconomic burden of road injuries: estimates and projections for 166 countries.Lancet Planet Health. 2019; 3: e390-e398https://doi.org/10.1016/s2542-5196(19)30170-6
Decade of Action for Road Safety 2011-2020. https://www.who.int/publications-detail-redirect/decade-of-action-for-road-safety-2011-2020. Accessed April 20, 2022.
UN proclaims new road safety decade, more ambitious goals. Movendi International. https://movendi.ngo/news/2020/09/01/un-proclaims-new-road-safety-decade-more-ambitious-goals/. Published September 1, 2020. Accessed April 20, 2022.
- Availability of population-level data sources for tracking the incidence of deaths and injuries from road traffic crashes in low-income and middle-income countries.BMJ Glob Health. 2021; 6e007296https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjgh-2021-007296
- Road traffic injury on rural roads in Tanzania: measuring the effectiveness of a road safety program.Traffic Inj Prev. 2015; 16: 456-460
- The epidemiology and hotspots of road traffic injuries in Moshi, Tanzania: an observational study.Injury. 2017; 48: 1363-1370
- Road traffic injury incidence and crash characteristics in Dar es Salaam: a population based study.Accid Anal Prev. 2012; 45: 204-210
World Bank. Mortality caused by road traffic injury (per 100,000 population). https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SH.STA.TRAF.P5. Accessed July 1, 2022.
Tanzania - urbanization 2020. Statista. https://www.statista.com/statistics/455940/urbanization-in-tanzania/. Accessed April 20, 2022.
- Challenges facing urban transportation in Tanzania.Math Theory Model. 2013; 3: 18-26
- Population and housing census.Tanzania National Bureau of Statistics (NBS), 2022PublishedAccessed April 202022)
- Multiple indicator cluster surveys: delivering robust data on children and women across the globe.Stud Fam Plan. 2019; 50: 279-286
Nations U. Household size and composition around the world. Popul Newsl. 2017.
- 2012 population and housing census.Population distribution by administrative areas. Tanzania National Bureau of Statistics, 2013
Web GIS mapping software. https://www.esri.com/en-us/arcgis/products/arcgis-online/overview. Accessed July 5, 2022.
- World report on road traffic injury prevention: Summary.WHO, 2004: 52 (In: World report on road traffic injury prevention: Summarypesquisa.bvsalud.orgix-)
- The neglected epidemic-risk factors associated with road traffic injuries in Mozambique: results of the 2016 INCOMAS study.PLOS Glob Public Health. 2022; 2e0000163
- Understanding the factors that are associated with motorcycle crash severity in rural and urban Areas of Ghana.J Adv Transp. 2021; : 2021https://doi.org/10.1155/2021/6336517
- Road traffic injuries: cross-sectional cluster randomized countrywide population data from 4 low-income countries.Int J Surg. 2018; 52: 237-242
- Road traffic injury in sub-Saharan African countries: a systematic review and summary of observational studies.Traffic Inj Prev. 2017; 18: 767-773
- Ten Strategies for Keeping Children Safe on the Road.World Health Organization, 2015
- Description of various factors contributing to traffic accidents in youth and measures proposed to alleviate recurrence.Front Psychiatry. 2017; 8: 94
- Pedestrian traffic injuries among school children in Kawempe, Uganda.Afr Health Sci. 2008; 8: 156-159
- Patterns of road traffic injuries and associated factors among school-aged children in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania: short research article.Afr Saf Promot J Inj Violence Prev. 2002; https://doi.org/10.10520/ejc92948
- School Area Road Safety Assessment and Improvements (SARSAI) programme reduces road traffic injuries among children in Tanzania.Inj Prev. 2019; 25: 414-420
- Factors associated with motorcycle-related road traffic crashes in Africa, a Scoping review from 2016 to 2022.BMC Public Health. 2022; 22: 649
- The burden of road traffic crashes, injuries and deaths in Africa: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Bull World Health Organ. 2016; 94: 510-521A
- Road safety compliance among motorcyclists in Kawempe Division, Kampala, Uganda: a cross-sectional study.Int J Inj Control Saf Promot. 2019; 26: 315-321
- Compliance of commercial motorcycle riders with road safety regulations in a peri-urban town of Ghana.PLoS One. 2021; 16e0246965
- Severity of motorcycle crashes in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.Traffic Inj Prev. 2019; 20: 189-195
- Cost effectiveness of strategies to combat road traffic injuries in sub-Saharan Africa and South East Asia: mathematical modelling study.BMJ. 2012; 344: e612
- Global Status Report on Road Safety 2018: Summary.World Health Organization, 2018
- Road-traffic injuries: confronting disparities to address a global-health problem.Lancet. 2006; 367: 1533-1540
- Traffic safety facts.U.S. Department of Transportation, 2001 (2001)
- Do motorcycle helmets reduce road traffic injuries, hospitalizations and mortalities in low and lower-middle income countries in Africa? A systematic review and meta-analysis.BMC Public Health. 2022; 22: 824
- The impact of urban development on risk in sub-Saharan Africa's cities with a focus on small and intermediate urban centres.Int J Disaster Risk Reduct. 2017; 26: 16-23