- •Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) is used with increased frequency for patients with traumatic injuries.
- •Infection rate (107.3 infections/100,000 ECMO days) is much greater than in other ECMO studies, with predominantly respiratory infections.
- •Gram-negative bacteria caused a majority of infections in this population regardless of time after cannulation or site.
- •Empiric antibiotics in trauma patients receiving ECMO with infections should cover Gram-negative bacteria.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Extracorporeal oxygenation in the adult respiratory-distress syndrome.N Engl J Med. 1972; 287: 49
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation use has increased by 433% in adults in the United States from 2006 to 2011.ASAIO J. 2015; 61: 31-36
- Efficacy and economic assessment of conventional ventilatory support versus extracorporeal membrane oxygenation for severe adult respiratory failure (CESAR): a multicentre randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2009; 374: 1351-1363
- Infections during extracorporeal membrane oxygenation: epidemiology, risk factors, pathogenesis and prevention.Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2017; 50: 9-16
- The impact of infection complications after trauma differs according to trauma severity.Sci Rep. 2021; 11: 13803
- Increases in mortality, length of stay, and cost associated with hospital-acquired infections in trauma patients.Arch Surg. 2011; 146: 794-801
- Extracorporeal life support is safe in trauma patients.Injury. 2017; 48: 121-126
- Indications and outcomes of extracorporeal life support in trauma patients.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2018; 84: 831-837
- Rating the severity of tissue damage. I. The abbreviated scale.JAMA. 1971; 215: 277-280
- The injury severity score: a method for describing patients with multiple injuries and evaluating emergency care.J Trauma. 1974; 14: 187-196
- Multidrug-resistant, extensively drug-resistant and pandrug-resistant bacteria: an international expert proposal for interim standard definitions for acquired resistance.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2012; 18: 268-281
- Infections acquired during extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in neonates, children, and adults.Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2011; 12: 277-281
- Nosocomial Infections During Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation: Incidence, Etiology, and Impact on Patients' Outcome.Crit Care Med. 2017; 45: 1726-1733
- Characteristics of venous-venous extracorporeal membrane oxygenation related bloodstream infections.J Card Surg. 2022; 37: 1431-1434
- Pattern of organ failure following severe trauma.World J Surg. 1996; 20: 422-429
- Infections in patients with burn injuries receiving extracorporeal membrane oxygenation.Burns. 2019; 45: 1880-1887
- Risk factors for nosocomial infection during extracorporeal membrane oxygenation.J Hosp Infect. 2009; 73: 210-216
- Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation for Severe Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome.N Engl J Med. 2018; 378: 1965-1975
- Predictive survival factors of the traumatically injured on venovenous extracorporeal membrane oxygenation: A Bayesian model.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2020; 88: 153-159
- Infections occurring in adult patients receiving mechanical circulatory support: the two-year experience of an Italian National Referral Tertiary Care Center.Med Intensiva. 2013; 37: 468-475
- Timeline of health care-associated infections and pathogens after burn injuries.Am J Infect Control. 2016; 44: 1511-1516
- Gastrointestinal Carriage Is a Major Reservoir of Klebsiella pneumoniae Infection in Intensive Care Patients.Clin Infect Dis. 2017; 65: 208-215
- Reservoirs of Extraintestinal Pathogenic Escherichia coli.Microbiol Spectr. 2015; 3
- Pathogenesis of Gram-Negative Bacteremia.Clin Microbiol Rev. 2021; 34
- Reducing Broad-Spectrum Antimicrobial Use in Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation: Reduce AMMO Study.Clin Infect Dis. 2021; 73: e988-e996
- Chlorhexidine bathing of the exposed circuits in extracorporeal membrane oxygenation: an uncontrolled before-and-after study.Crit Care. 2020; 24: 595
- Nosocomial Bloodstream Infections in Patients Receiving Extracorporeal Life Support: Variability in Prevention Practices: A Survey of the Extracorporeal Life Support Organization Members.J Intens Care Med. 2016; 31: 654-669
- The morbidity and mortality of patients with fungal infections before and during extracorporeal membrane oxygenation support.Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2012; 13: e288-e293
- Clinical Practice Guideline for the Management of Candidiasis: 2016 Update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America.Clin Infect Dis. 2016; 62: e1-50
- Antimicrobial prophylaxis and infection surveillance in extracorporeal membrane oxygenation patients: a multi-institutional survey of practice patterns.ASAIO J. 2011; 57: 231-238
- Double-blind placebo-controlled trial of fluconazole to prevent candidal infections in critically ill surgical patients.Ann Surg. 2001; 233: 542-548
- Bacterial and fungal pathogens isolated from patients with bloodstream infection: frequency of occurrence and antimicrobial susceptibility patterns from the SENTRY Antimicrobial Surveillance Program (2012-2017).Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2020; 97115016