- •Vertex epidural hematoma is a relatively rare intracranial hematoma.
- •Diagnosis and management of vertex epidural hematoma can be challenging.
- •Massive blood loss is a potential risk during the evacuation of vertex epidural hematoma.
- •Strip craniotomy may be a safer surgical method for vertex epidural hematoma.
- •GCS score is the most important prognostic factor in patients with VEDH.
Materials and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Vertex epidural hematomas.Surg Neurol. 1979; 11: 277-284
- Acute traumatic vertex epidural haematomas surgically treated.Acta Neurochir (Wien). 1988; 93: 55-60
- Vertex epidural hematoma: an analysis of a large series.Asian J Neurosurg. 2017; 12: 167-171
- Epidural hematoma with detachment of the dural sinuses.J Neurosci Rural Pract. 2014; 5: 191-194
- Vertex epidural hematoma: a rare cause of post-traumatic headache and diagnostic challenge.Surg Neurol Int. 2016; 6: S276-S278
- Vertex epidural hematoma: surgical versus conservative management: two case reports and review of the literature.Neurosurgery. 1999; 45: 621-625
- Surgical management of vertex epidural hematoma: technical case report and literature review.World Neurosurg. 2017; 103: 475-483
- Management of venous sinus-related epidural hematomas.World Neurosurg. 2020; 138: e241-e250
- Traumatic dural sinus injury.Korean J Neurotrauma. 2015; 11: 118-123
- Vertex epidural hematoma.Pediatr Neurosurg. 2005; 41: 170-172
- Vertex epidural hematomas: imaging findings and diagnostic pitfalls.Eur J Radiol. 2000; 36: 150-157
- Vertex epidural hematoma with coronal suture diastasis presenting with paraplegia.J Trauma. 1998; 45: 413-415
- Assessment of outcome after severe brain damage: a practical scale.Lancet. 1975; 1: 480-484
- Extra-dural hematomas: measurement of size by volume summation on CT scanning.Neuroradiology. 1984; 26: 363-367
- Traumatic bifrontal extradural haematoma resulting from superior sagittal sinus injury: case report.JRSM Open. 2015; 6: 1-4
- Risk factors for the development of contralateral epidural hematoma following decompressive craniectomy in patients with calvarial skull fracture contralateral to the craniectomy site.World Neurosurg. 2016; 89: 223-229
- Contralateral acute epidural hematoma after decompressive surgery of acute subdural hematoma: clinical features and outcome.J Trauma. 2008; 65: 1298-1302
- Acute posttraumatic paraplegia caused by epidural hematoma at the vertex.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2001; 22: 1748-1749
- Post-traumatic bifrontoparietal extradural hematoma with superior sagittal sinus detachment: a case report and review of the literature.World Neurosurg. 2016; 93: 489.e17-489.e20
- The prognostic importance of volume of traumatic epidural and subdural haematomas revisited.Acta Neurochir (Wein). 1999; 141: 509-514
- Emergent surgical evacuation of traumatic intracranial hematoma in patients with preoperative thrombocytopenia: surgical risk and early outcome.Acta Neurol Belg. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1007/s13760-021-01786-z
- The impact of coagulopathy on the outcome of traumatic epidural hematoma.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2012; 132: 1445-1450
- Vertex epidural hematomas.Neurosurgery. 1989; 25: 824-828
- Bilateral frontal extradural haematomas caused by rupture of the superior sagittal sinus: case report.Br J Neurosurg. 1999; 13: 77-78