- •IA-PRP injections are common treatments for knee OA.
- •IA+IO-PRP injection provides better pain relief and functional improvement at 12-weeks.
- •IA-PRP and IA+IO-PRP injections reduce inflammatory markers (ESR and CRP) at 12-weeks.
- •IA-PRP and IA+IO-PRP PRP injections reduce u-CTX-II levels at 12-weeks.
- •IA+IO-PRP injection reduces u-NTX-I level at 12-weeks.
Abbreviations:ADL (Activities of daily living), COMP (Cartilage oligomeric matrix protein), CTX-II (C-telopeptides of type-II collagen), CRP (C-reactive protein), ESR (Erythrocyte sedimentation rate), HA (Hyaluronic acid), IA-PRP (Intra-articular platelet-rich plasma), IA+IO (PRP –Intra-articular and intra-osseous platelet-rich plasma), KOOS (Knee Injury and Osteoarthritis Outcome Score), NTX-I (N-telopeptides of type-I collagen), PIIANP (N-terminal propeptide of collagen type-IIA), OA (Osteoarthritis), PRP (Platelet-rich plasma), QoL (Quality of life), RCTs (Randomized controlled trials), VAS (Visual analog scale)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- An update on the pathophysiology of osteoarthritis.Ann Phys Rehabil Med. 2016; 59: 333-339
- Clinical and pathophysiologic significance of MRI identified bone marrow lesions associated with knee osteoarthritis.Arch Bone Jt Surg. 2019; 7: 211-219
- Bone marrow edema and its relation to progression of knee osteoarthritis.Ann Intern Med. 2003; 139: 330-336
- Elevated cross-talk between subchondral bone and cartilage in osteoarthritic joints.Bone. 2012; 51: 212-217
- A systematic review of the relationship between subchondral bone features, pain and structural pathology in peripheral joint osteoarthritis.Arthritis Res Ther. 2015; 17: 228
- Combination of intra-articular and intraosseous injections of platelet rich plasma for severe knee osteoarthritis: a pilot study.BioMed Res Int. 2016; 20164868613
- Platelet-rich plasma: new performance understandings and therapeutic considerations in 2020.Int J Mol Sci. 2020; 21: 7794
- PRP injections for the treatment of knee osteoarthritis: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Cartilage. 2021; 13: 364S-375S
- Growth factors levels determine efficacy of platelets rich plasma injection in knee osteoarthritis: a randomized double blind noninferiority trial compared with viscosupplementation.Arthrosc J Arthrosc Relat Surg Off Publ Arthrosc Assoc N Am Int Arthrosc Assoc. 2018; 34 (e2): 1530-1540
- Treatment with platelet-rich plasma is more effective than placebo for knee osteoarthritis: a prospective, double-blind, randomized trial.Am J Sports Med. 2013; 41: 356-364
- Efficacy and safety of plasma rich in growth factors intra-articular infiltrations in the treatment of knee osteoarthritis.Arthrosc J Arthrosc Relat Surg Off Publ Arthrosc Assoc N Am Int Arthrosc Assoc. 2014; 30: 1006-1017
- Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injections as an effective treatment for early osteoarthritis.Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol Orthop Traumatol. 2013; 23: 573-580
- Effect of intra-articular platelet-rich plasma vs placebo injection on pain and medial tibial cartilage volume in patients with knee osteoarthritis: the restore randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2021; 326: 2021-2030
- Inflammation in osteoarthritis.Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2011; 23: 471-478
- Elevated erythrocyte sedimentation rate and high-sensitivity C-reactive protein in osteoarthritis of the knee: relationship with clinical findings and radiographic severity.Ann Clin Biochem. 2016; 53: 548-553
- Elevated high-sensitivity C-reactive protein levels are associated with local inflammatory findings in patients with osteoarthritis - ClinicalKey.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2007; 15: 516-523
- The role of synovitis in pathophysiology and clinical symptoms of osteoarthritis.Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2010; 6: 625-635
- Association between biomarkers of tissue inflammation and progression of osteoarthritis: evidence from the Rotterdam study cohort.Arthritis Res Ther. 2016; 18 ([cited 2019 Feb 22]Available from)
- Osteoarthritis year in review 2016: biomarkers (biochemical markers).Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2017; 25: 199-208
- Cartilage turnover and intra-articular corticosteroid injections in knee osteoarthritis.Rheumatol Int. 2018; 38: 455-459
- Serum hyaluronan levels and radiographic knee and hip osteoarthritis in African Americans and Caucasians in the Johnston County Osteoarthritis Project.Arthritis Rheum. 2005; 52: 105-111
- Serum hyaluronic acid concentration predicts the progression of joint space narrowing in normal knees and established knee osteoarthritis - a five-year prospective cohort study.Arthritis Res Ther. 2015; 17: 283
- The course of ultrasonographic abnormalities in knee osteoarthritis: 1 year follow up.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2014; 22: 1651-1656
- Ultrasonographic analysis in knee osteoarthritis: evaluation of inter-observer reliability.Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2012; 30: 673-678
- Treating severe knee osteoarthritis with combination of intra-osseous and intra-articular infiltrations of platelet-rich plasma: an observational study.Cartilage. 2019; 10: 245-253
- Current concepts in intraosseous platelet-rich plasma injections for knee osteoarthritis.J Clin Orthop Trauma. 2019; 10: 36-41
- Sports medicine applications of platelet rich plasma.Curr Pharm Biotechnol. 2012; 13: 1185-1195
- Platelet-rich plasma: the PAW classification system.Arthrosc J Arthrosc Relat Surg Off Publ Arthrosc Assoc N Am Int Arthrosc Assoc. 2012; 28 ([cited 2022 Jun 6]Available from:)
- Effect of platelet-rich plasma on serum and urine biomarkers in patients with knee osteoarthritis.Int J Clin Exp Med. 2020; 13: 5040-5049
- Single intra-articular injection with or without intra-osseous injections of platelet-rich plasma in the treatment of osteoarthritis knee: a single-blind, randomized clinical trial.Injury. 2022; 53: 1247-1253
- Intraosseous injections of platelet rich plasma for knee bone marrow lesions treatment: one year follow-up.Int Orthop. 2021; 45: 355-363
- The treatment of bone marrow lesions associated with advanced knee osteoarthritis: comparing intraosseous and intraarticular injections with bone marrow concentrate and platelet products.Pain Physician. 2021; 24: E279-E288
- HGF mediates the anti-inflammatory effects of PRP on injured tendons.PLoS ONE. 2013; 8: e67303
- Comparative evaluation of leukocyte- and platelet-rich plasma and pure platelet-rich plasma for cartilage regeneration.Sci Rep. 2017; 7 (07): 43301
- A systematic review of ultrasonography in osteoarthritis.Ann Rheum Dis. 2009; 68: 611-619