- •Adaptive modeling including inpatient complications improves the performance of the STTGMAHIP tool.
- •The STTGMAHIP_ADPTV tool may provide early identification of critically ill patients to improve outcomes.
- •Real-time modulation of a patient's mortality risk profile can inform their requisite level of medical management.
- •Potential for more cost-effective care provides incentive for STTGMAHIP_ADPTV tool usage.
- •The adaptive component of STTGMAHIP_ADPTV tool allows for future iterations and improvement.
Level of evidence
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Incidence and mortality of hip fractures in the United States.JAMA. 2009; 302: 1573-1579https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2009.1462
- Orthopedic surgery and the geriatric patient.Clin Geriatr Med. 2019; 35: 65-92https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cger.2018.08.007
- Medical and economic consequences of perioperative complications in older hip fracture patients.Arch Osteoporos. 2020; 15: 174https://doi.org/10.1007/s11657-020-00843-z
- Development of a middle-age and geriatric trauma mortality risk score a tool to guide palliative care consultations.Bull Hosp Jt Dis. 2013; 74 (2016): 298-305
- How does frailty factor into mortality risk assessment of a middle-aged and geriatric trauma population?.Geriatr Orthop Surg Rehabil. 2017; 8: 225-230https://doi.org/10.1177/2151458517735202
- ASA physical status classification improves predictive ability of a validated trauma risk score.Geriatr Orthop Surg Rehabil. 2021; 12 (2151459321989534)https://doi.org/10.1177/2151459321989534
- Modification of a validated risk stratification tool to characterize geriatric hip fracture outcomes and optimize care in a post-COVID-19 world.J Orthop Trauma. 2020; 34: e317-e324https://doi.org/10.1097/BOT.0000000000001895
- Seasonality affects elderly hip fracture mortality risk during the COVID-19 pandemic.Cureus. 2022; 14: e26530https://doi.org/10.7759/cureus.26530
- The role of smoking and body mass index in mortality risk assessment for geriatric hip fracture patients.Cureus. 2022; 14: e26666https://doi.org/10.7759/cureus.26666
- One-year mortality after hip fracture surgery and prognostic factors: a prospective cohort study.Sci Rep. 2019; 9: 18718https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-019-55196-6
- Epidemiology of hip fracture: worldwide geographic variation.IJOO. 2011; 45: 15-22https://doi.org/10.4103/0019-5413.73656
- The effect of early surgery after hip fracture on 1-year mortality.BMC Geriatr. 2015; 15: 141https://doi.org/10.1186/s12877-015-0140-y
- Complications following hip fracture: results from the world hip trauma evaluation cohort study.Injury. 2020; 51: 1331-1336https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2020.03.031
- Risk of post-operative cardiovascular event in elderly patients with pre-existing cardiovascular disease who are undergoing hip fracture surgery.Int Orthop. 2021; 45: 3045-3053https://doi.org/10.1007/s00264-021-05227-7
- Review of risk assessment tools to predict morbidity and mortality in elderly surgical patients.Am J Surg. 2018; 216: 585-594https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2018.04.006
- Using trauma triage score to risk-stratify inpatient triage, hospital quality measures, and cost in middle-aged and geriatric orthopaedic trauma patients.J Orthop Trauma. 2019; 33: 525-530https://doi.org/10.1097/BOT.0000000000001561
- Development and evaluation of the universal ACS NSQIP surgical risk calculator: a decision aid and informed consent tool for patients and surgeons.J Am Coll Surg. 2013; 217 (e1-3): 833-842https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2013.07.385
- Is the ACS-NSQIP risk calculator accurate in predicting adverse postoperative outcomes in the emergency setting? An Italian single-center preliminary study.World J Surg. 2020; 44: 3710-3719https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-020-05705-w
- Predictive score of adverse events after carotid endarterectomy: the NSQIP registry carotid endarterectomy scale.JAHA. 2019; 8e013412https://doi.org/10.1161/JAHA.119.013412
- Impact of delayed admission to intensive care units on mortality of critically ill patients: a cohort study.Crit Care. 2011; 15 (R28)https://doi.org/10.1186/cc9975
- Hospital costs following surgical complications: a value-driven outcomes analysis of cost savings due to complication prevention.Ann Surg. 2022; 275: e375-e381https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0000000000004243
- A cost-utility analysis of a comprehensive orthogeriatric care for hip fracture patients, compared with standard of care treatment.Hip Int. 2013; 23: 570-575https://doi.org/10.5301/hipint.5000080
- To investigate the effect and cost-effectiveness of implementing an orthogeriatric intervention for elderly patients with acute hip fracture: the experience in Hong Kong.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2009; 57: 2153-2154https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2009.02529.x
- Effect of comorbidities and postoperative complications on mortality after hip fracture in elderly people: prospective observational cohort study.BMJ. 2005; 331: 1374https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.38643.663843.55
- Complications during hospitalization and risk factors in elderly patients with hip fracture following integrated orthogeriatric treatment.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2017; 137: 507-515https://doi.org/10.1007/s00402-017-2646-6
- Complications and their risk factors following hip fracture surgery.J Orthop Surg. 2013; 21 (Hong Kong): 154-157https://doi.org/10.1177/230949901302100207
- Frailty and short-term outcomes in patients with hip fracture.Geriatr Orthop Surg Rehabil. 2015; 6: 209-214https://doi.org/10.1177/2151458515591170
- Frailty and malnutrition are associated with inpatient postoperative complications and mortality in hip fracture patients.J Orthop Trauma. 2019; 33: 143-148https://doi.org/10.1097/BOT.0000000000001386