- •Penetrating neck injury management of military persons in Iraq and Afghanistan who were seen at deployed UK facilities and evacuated back to UK.
- •CTA was effective at ruling out significant vascular or aerodigestive injury.
- •UK Military surgeons had a low threshold for open neck exploration, even in patients with both a negative CTA and no clinical hard signs.
Patients and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Outcomes following penetrating neck injury during the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts: a comparison of treatment at US and United Kingdom medical treatment facilities.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2020; 88 (May 1): 696-703
- Mortality and morbidity from combat neck injury.J Trauma Inj Infect Crit Care. 2012; 72 (Apr): 969-974
- Combat wounds in operation Iraqi freedom and operation enduring freedom.J Trauma Inj Infect Crit Care. 2008; 64 (Feb): 295-299
- Face, neck, and eye protection: adapting body armour to counter the changing patterns of injuries on the battlefield.Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2011; 49 (Dec): 602-606
- Outcomes from penetrating ballistic cervical injury.J R Army Med Corps. 2012; 158 (Jun): 96-100
Ministry of Defence. Allied Joint Doctrine for Medical Support. Allied Joint Publication-4.10(C) [Internet]. 2020 [cited 2022 Oct 24]. Available from: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/922182/doctrine_nato_med_spt_ajp_4_10.pdf.
- Evaluation and treatment of penetrating cervical injuries.J Trauma. 1979; 19 (Jun): 391-397
- Neck injuries – israel defense forces 20 years’ experience.Injury. 2021; 52 (Feb 1): 274-280
- Medical evacuation and triage of combat casualties in Helmand Province, Afghanistan: October 2010–April 2011.Mil Med. 2012; 177 (Nov 1): 1261-1266
- Penetrating Neck Injuries Treated at a U.S. Role 3 Medical Treatment Facility in Afghanistan During Operation Resolute Support.Mil Med. 2021; 186 (Jan 30): 18-23
- Diagnostic performance of CT angiography in neck vessel trauma: systematic review and meta-analysis.Emerg Radiol. 2016; 23 (Oct 1): 421-431
- Comparison of penetrating neck injury management in combat versus civilian trauma: a review of 55 cases.Mil Med. 2016; 181 (Aug): 935-940
- Trauma deaths in a mature urban trauma system: is “trimodal” distribution a valid concept?.J Am Coll Surg. 2005; 201 (Sep 1): 343-348
- Penetrating neck trauma: a review of management strategies and discussion of the “No Zone” approach.Am Surg. 2013; 79 (Jan): 23-29
- Evaluation of multidetector computed tomography for penetrating neck injury.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2012; 72 (Mar): 576-584
- No zone” approach in penetrating neck trauma reduces unnecessary computed tomography angiography and negative explorations.J Surg Res. 2018; 221 (Jan): 113-120
- A short history of Camp Bastion Hospital: part 2—Bastion's catalytic role in advancing combat casualty care.BMJ Mil Heal. 2015; 161 (Jun 1): 160-166
- Delayed evaluation of combat-related penetrating neck trauma.J Vasc Surg. 2006; 44 (Jul): 86-93
- Traumatic pseudoaneurysms of the head and neck: Early endovascular intervention.J Vasc Surg. 2007; 46 (Dec): 1227-1233
- Civilian penetrating neck trauma at a level I trauma centre: a five-year retrospective case note review.Clin Otolaryngol. 2022; 47 (Jan 1): 44-51
- An evidence based review of the assessment and management of penetrating neck trauma.Clin Otolaryngol. 2012; 37 (Feb): 44-52
- Management of penetrating neck injury in the emergency department: a structured literature review.Emerg Med J. 2008; 25 (Nov 1): 711-715
- Penetrating neck injury.in: Breeze J. Penn-Barwell J.G. Keene D. O'Reilly D. Jeyanathan J. Mahoney P.F. Ballistic Trauma, A practical Guide. 4th ed. Springer, 2017: 257-273
- Penetrating neck trauma in operation Iraqi freedom.Otolaryngol Neck Surg. 2011; 144 (Feb): 180-185