- •This is the first study with a control group to prospectively measure the association of iliosacral screw removal with pain and function.
- •We found no evidence that iliosacral screw removal significantly reduces pain or improves function in our population.
- •The observed natural history of patients following iliosacral screw fixation suggests improved pain and function, regardless of screw removal.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Do transsacral-transiliac screws across uninjured sacroiliac joints affect pain and functional outcomes in trauma patients?.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2016; 474: 1417-1421https://doi.org/10.1007/s11999-015-4596-z
- A prospective clinical trial comparing surgical fixation versus nonoperative management of minimally displaced complete lateral compression pelvis fractures.J Orthop Trauma. 2021; 35: 592-598https://doi.org/10.1097/BOT.0000000000002088
- High incidence of chronic pain following surgery for pelvic fracture.Clin J Pain. 2006; 22: 167-172https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ajp.0000174266.12831.a2
- Pelvic ring disruptions: treatment modalities and analysis of outcomes.Int Orthop. 2009; 33: 329-338https://doi.org/10.1007/s00264-008-0555-6
- Early fixation of the vertically unstable pelvis: the role of iliosacral screw fixation of the posterior lesion.J Orthop Trauma. 1999; 13: 107-113https://doi.org/10.1097/00005131-199902000-00007
- Incidence of sacroiliac screw implant pain and results of screw removal.J Orthopaedic Experience & Innovation. 2020; 24: 1795-1797
- Symptomatic iliosacral screw removal after pelvic trauma-incidence and clinical impact.J Orthop Trauma. 2019; 33: 351-353https://doi.org/10.1097/BOT.0000000000001453
- Does implant removal across the sacroiliac joint improve pain and outcomes?.J Orthop Trauma. 2020; 34: 307-309https://doi.org/10.1097/BOT.0000000000001710
- Complications of hardware removal.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2021; 103: 2089-2095https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.20.02231
- The Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies.Lancet. 2007; 370: 1453-1457https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsu.2014.07.013
- Pain assessment: global use of the Brief Pain Inventory.Ann Acad Med Singap. 1994; 23: 129-138
- Grading the outcome of pelvic fractures.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1989; 71: 304-306
- Reporting and interpretation of the functional outcomes after the surgical treatment of disruptions of the pelvic ring: a systematic review.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2012; 94-B: 549-555https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.94B4.27960
- Causal analyses of existing databases: no power calculations required.J Clin Epidemiol. 2021; (S0895-4356(21)00273–0)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2021.08.028
- Minimal clinically important differences (MCID) and patient acceptable symptomatic state (PASS) for visual analog scales (VAS) measuring pain in patients treated for rotator cuff disease.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2009; 18: 927-932https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2009.03.021
- Assessment of pain in rheumatoid arthritis: minimal clinically significant difference, predictors, and the effect of anti-tumor necrosis factor therapy.J Rheumatol. 2007; 34: 1674-1683
- Analysis of outcome measures for persons with patellofemoral pain: which are reliable and valid?.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004; 85: 815-822https://doi.org/10.1016/s0003-9993(03)00613-0
- Making neighborhood-disadvantage metrics accessible — the neighborhood atlas.N Engl J Med. 2018; 378: 2456-2458https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp1802313
- Incidence of hardware-related pain and its effect on functional outcomes after open reduction and internal fixation of ankle fractures.J Orthop Trauma. 2001; 15: 271-274https://doi.org/10.1097/00005131-200105000-00006
- Removal of internal fixation–the effect on patients’ complaints: a study of 66 cases of removal of internal fixation after malleolar fractures.Foot Ankle Int. 1994; 15: 170-171https://doi.org/10.1177/107110079401500402
- Elective removal of implants after open reduction and internal fixation of tibial plateau fractures improves clinical outcomes.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2015; 135: 1491-1496https://doi.org/10.1007/s00402-015-2299-2
- Intramedullary nailing of femoral shaft fractures: reoperation and return to work.Can J Surg. 1993; 36: 464-467
- Proximal thigh pain after femoral nailing.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1997; 79: 738-741
- Metal implant removal: benefits and drawbacks – a patient survey.BMC Surg. 2015; 15: 96https://doi.org/10.1186/s12893-015-0081-6