- •14% of patients returned with an unrelated trauma event within a mean of 21 months following initial injury.
- •Mental illness was noted in 57% of recidivists, versus 33% of the others, representing the greater risk factor for trauma recidivism.
- •Other predictors of recidivism included recreational drug use and history of ballistic or other assault.
Level of Evidence
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
WISQARS: Cost of injury reports. 2010 prices. National center for injury prevention and control, centers for disease control and prevention. Data source: National Center for Health statistics (NCHS_, national vital statistics system) https://wisqars.cdc.gov:8443/costT/cost_Part1_Finished.jsp, accessed December 1, 2021.
WISQARS, 10 leading causes of death, United states, 2019, All Races, Both sexes. National center for injury prevention and control, centers for disease control and prevention. Data source: National Center for Health statistics (NCHS_, national vital statistics system) https://webappa.cdc.gov/cgi-bin/broker.exe, accessed December 1, 2021.
- Exploring trauma recidivism in an elderly cohort.J Surg Res. 2018; 184: 582-585
- Trauma Recidivism in a Large Urban Canadian Population.J Trauma Inj Crit Care. 2004; 57: 872-876
- Trauma recidivists: surprisingly better outcomes than initially-injured trauma patients.Am J Surg. 2014; 207: 427-431
- Trauma recidivism in a Canadian province: a 14-year registry review.CJEM. 2019; 21: 473-476
- Characteristics of repeat trauma patients.Am J Public Health. 1995; 85: 1-3
- A population-based study of trauma recidivism.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 1998; 45: 325-332
- Frequency of recidivism in patients with orthopedic trauma.Orthopedics. 2016; 39: 300-306
- A novel prospective approach to evaluate trauma recidivism: the concept of the past trauma history.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2013; 75: 116-121
- Trauma recidivism predicts long-term mortality: missed opportunities for prevention (retrospective cohort study).Ann Surg. 2017; 265: 847-853
- Patterns and outcomes among penetrating trauma recidivists: it only gets worse.J Trauma Inj Crit Care. 2006; 61: 16-20
- Association between the detection of alcohol, illicit drugs and/or psychotropic medications/opioids in patients admitted due to trauma and trauma recidivism: A cohort analysis.PLoS One. 2018; 13e0203963
- Alcohol or drug use and trauma recidivism.Nurs Res. 2017; 66: 399-404
- Mental illness as an independent risk factor for unintentional injury and injury recidivism.J Trauma Inj Crit Care. 2006; 61: 1299-1304
- Longitudinal assessment of injury recidivism among adults in the United States: findings form a population-based sample.Inj Epidemiol. 2016; 3: 5
- Fracture and Dislocation Classification Compendium–2018.J Orthop Trauma. 2018; (32:Suppl): S1-S47
- Trauma recidivism and mortality following violent injuries in young adults.J Surg Res. 2019; 237: 140-147
- Violent trauma recidivism: Does all violence escalate?.Eur J Trauma Emerg Surg. 2018; 44: 851-858
- Victims of crime program decreases risk for new mental illness.J Ment Health Clin Psychol. 2022; 6: 3-10
- Treating trauma more effectively: A review of psychosocial programming.Injury. 2022; (Apr 26): S0020-S1383
- Trauma patient readmissions: Why do they come back for more?.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2015; 79: 717-724
- Implementing psychosocial programming at a Level 1 trauma center: results from a 5-year period. Trauma Surg Acute Care Open. 2020; 5e000363
- Effect of a brief intervention for alcohol and illicit drug use on trauma recidivism in a cohort of trauma patients.PLoS One. 2017; 12e0182441
- Underlying mental illness and psychosocial factors are predictors of poor outcomes after proximal humerus repair.J Orthop Trauma. 2019; 33: e339-e344
- Case series evaluating the operative and nonoperative treatment of scapular fractures.Am J Orthop. 2019;
- Psychological factors predict disability and pain intensity after skeletal trauma.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2014; 96: 20
- Psychological distress mediates the effect of pain on function.Pain. 2011; 152: 1349-1357
- Trauma is a recurrent disease.Surgery. 1993; 113: 608-611
- Are we missing the mark: Relationships of psychosocial issues to outcomes. A review of the OTA annual meeting presentations.OTA International. 2020; 3: e70-e76
- Recidivism in an Urban Trauma Center.Arch Surg. 1992; 127: 668-670
- Burn recidivism: a 10-year retrospective study characterizing patients with repeated burn injuries at a large tertiary referral burn center in the United States.Burns Trauma. 2019; 7: 9
- Implementing recovery resources in trauma care: impact and implications.OTA International. 2019; 2: e045-e051
- The prevalence of alcohol-related trauma recidivism: a systematic review.Injury. 2016; 47: 551-558
- Factors influencing outcome following limb-threatening lower limb trauma: lessons learned from the Lower Extremity Assessment Project (LEAP).J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2006; 14 (10 Spec No.): S205-S210