- •The majority of the global population live in resource-limited countries, where implant cost may limit surgical treatment of ankle fractures.As the fibula carries only 6.4-17% of bodyweight in stance, the biomechanical strength required of fibular fixation constructs is in question.
- •We demonstrate a novel screw-only technique (SOT) with two fibula pro tibia screws to neutralize an interfragmentary screw.
- •The screw-only fixation had a lower implant cost (mean $592 for screw only fixation versus mean $1,949.97 for the standard treatment).
- •All patients maintained an anatomic mortise throughout the postoperative period, but there was a higher rate of hardware removal in the SOT group.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Understanding and addressing the global need for orthopaedic trauma care.J Bone Jt Surg - Am Vol. 2016; 98: 1844-1853
- The global burden of musculoskeletal injuries: Challenges and solutions.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2008; 466: 2306-2316
- Improving Management of Adult Ankle Fractures in Malawi: An Assessment of Providers’ Knowledge and Treatment Strategies.J Bone Joint Surg Am [Internet]. 2021 Feb 17; 103 (Available from): 326-334
- The economic burden of non-fatal musculoskeletal injuries in Northeastern Tanzania.Ann Glob Heal. 2019; 85: 1-9
- An Updated Epidemiology of Foot and Ankle Fractures in the United States: Complications, Mechanisms, and Risk Factors.J Foot Ankle Surg [Internet]. 2022 Jan 20; (Available from)
- Fractures in older adults. A view of the future?.Injury [Internet]. 2018; 49 (Available from): 2161-2166https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2018.11.009
- Epidemiology of adult fractures: A review.Injury [Internet]. 2006; 37 (Available from): 691-697
- Management of Isolated Lateral Malleolus Fractures.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2019; 27: 50-59
- The management of ankle fractures in the elderly.Injury [Internet]. 2007; 38 (Available from): 2-9
- Court-Brown CM. A prospective randomised controlled trial of the fibular nail versus standard open reduction and internal fixation for fixation of ankle fractures in elderly patients.Bone Jt J. 2016; 98-B: 1248-1252
- A Biomechanical Comparison of One-Third Tubular Plates Versus Periarticular Plates for Fixation of Osteoporotic Distal Fibula Fractures.J Orthop Trauma. 2013; 27: e201-e207
- Lag screw only fixation of the lateral malleolus.J Orthop Trauma. 2001; 15: 119-121
- Antiglide versus lateral plate fixation for Danis-Weber type B malleolar fractures caused by supination-external rotation injury.J Clin Orthop Trauma [Internet]. 2017; 8 (Available from): 327-331https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcot.2017.06.005
- Comparison of Locking Versus Nonlocking Plates for Distal Fibula Fractures.J Foot Ankle Surg [Internet]. 2018; 57 (Available from): 664-667https://doi.org/10.1053/j.jfas.2017.11.035
Smeets B, Nijs S, Nderlita M, Vandoren C, Hoekstra H. Health Care Usage and Related Costs in Fibular Plating for AO Type 44-B Ankle Fractures in a Belgian University Hospital: An Exploratory Analysis. J Foot Ankle Surg [Internet]. 55(3):535–41. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26993827
- Role of the fibula in weight-bearing.Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 1984; 184: 289-292
- Economic Burden of Inpatient Admission of Ankle Fractures.Foot Ankle Int. 2017; 38: 997-1004
- Fractures of the ankle. III. Genetic roentgenologic diagnosis of fractures of the ankle.Am J Roentgenol Radium Ther Nucl Med [Internet]. 1954; 71 (Available from): 456-471
- Deficiencies in the availability of essential musculoskeletal surgical services at 883 health facilities in 24 low- and lower-middle-income countries.World J Surg. 2015; 39: 1421-1432
- The global burden of musculoskeletal injury in low and lower-middle income countries.OTA Int Open Access J Orthop Trauma. 2020; 3: e062
- Surgical Burden of Musculoskeletal Conditions in Low- and Middle-Income Countries.World J Surg. 2020; 44: 1026-1032
- A multicenter observational study on the distribution of orthopaedic fracture types across 17 low- and middle-income countries.OTA Int Open Access J Orthop Trauma. 2019; 2: e026
- Developing orthopaedic trauma capacity in Uganda: Considerations from the Uganda sustainable Trauma Orthopaedic Program.J Orthop Trauma. 2015; 29: S20-S22
- Cost-effectiveness of surgery and its policy implications for global health: a systematic review and analysis.Lancet Glob Heal [Internet]. 2014; 2 (Available from): e334-e345
- Ankle fractures treated by fixation of the medial malleolus alone: Late results in 29 patients.Acta Orthop. 1978; 49: 211-214
- The key role of the lateral malleolus in displaced fractures of the ankle.J Bone Joint Surg Am [Internet]. 1977; 59 (Available from): 169-173
- Instability of the distal tibiofibular syndesmosis after bimalleolar and trimalleolar ankle fractures.J Bone Jt Surg - Ser A. 1984; 66: 490-503
- Biomechanical Evaluation of Mini-Fragment Hardware for Supination External Rotation Fractures of the Distal Fibula.Foot Ankle Spec [Internet]. 2013; 6 (Available from Apr 25): 88-93
- Minifragment plating of the fibula in unstable ankle fractures.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg [Internet]. 2022; (Available from Feb 28)
- The Syndesmosis, Part II: Surgical Treatment Strategies.Orthop Clin North Am. 2021; 52: 417-432
- Functional outcomes following syndesmotic fixation: A comparison of screws retained in situ versus routine removal - Is it really necessary?.Injury. 2013; 44: 1880-1884
- Surgical Site Infections After Routine Syndesmotic Screw Removal: A Systematic Review.J Orthop Trauma. 2021; 35: e116-e125
- Is routine removal of syndesmotic screw justified? A meta-analysis.Foot. 2021; : 49
- Effect of Syndesmotic Implant Removal on Dorsiflexion.Foot Ankle Int. 2019; 40: 499-505
- Syndesmotic Screw Removal in a Clinic Setting Is Safe and Cost-effective.Foot Ankle Spec. 2020; 13: 144-151