- •After lay first responder (LFR) training, emergency medical dispatch (EMD) is the next step toward formal emergency medical services (EMS) development in low- and middle-income countries.
- •A novel mobile EMD system was piloted using a mobile phone application with LFRs along 10 kilometers of highway in Sierra Leone.
- •Median total LFR response interval (notification to arrival) to 50 emergency simulations over 3 months was 5 minutes 39 seconds (IQR:0:03:51, 0:09:18).
- •Median first aid skill checklist completion was 89% (IQR: 78%, 90%), suggesting LFRs trained by a 5-hour curriculum and refresher trainings deliver high-quality prehospital care during simulated emergencies.
- •Cost-effectiveness equals $179.02USD per DALY averted per 100,000 people, less than Sierra Leonean GDP per capita, suggesting high cost-effectiveness.
Materials and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The facts.World Health Organization, 2014 (2014)
- EMS systems in lower-middle income countries: a literature review.Prehosp Dis Med. 2017; 32: 64-70https://doi.org/10.1017/S1049023X1600114X
- Global trauma: the great divide.SICOT-J. 2015; 1: 19https://doi.org/10.1051/sicotj/2015019
- Forecasting global road traffic injury mortality for 2030.Inj Prev J Int Soc Child Adolesc Inj Prev. 2020; 26: 339-343https://doi.org/10.1136/injuryprev-2019-043336
- Injury prevention and environmental health: key messages from disease control priorities, third edition.in: Mock CN Nugent R Kobusingye O Smith KR Injury prevention and environmental health. 3rd ed. The International Bank for Reconstruction and Development /The World Bank, 2017 (Accessed July 27, 2020)
- Economics of global burden of road traffic injuries and their relationship with health system variables.Int J Prev Med. 2013; 4: 1442-1450
- Disease, injury and causes of death country estimates, 2000-2015.World Health Organ. 2016; (Published online)
- Estimating the global incidence of traumatic brain injury.J Neurosurg. 2018; (Published online April 1): 1-18https://doi.org/10.3171/2017.10.JNS17352
- Bystander assistance for trauma victims in low- and middle-income countries: a systematic review of prevalence and training interventions.Prehospital Emerg Care Off J Natl Assoc EMS Phys Natl Assoc State EMS Dir. 2019; 23: 389-410https://doi.org/10.1080/10903127.2018.1513104
- Essential surgery: disease control priorities. 1. The International Bank for Reconstruction and Development /The World Bank, 2015 (VolumeAccessed July 27, 2021) 3rd Edition.
- The State of emergency medical services (EMS) systems in Africa.Prehospital Disaster Med. 2017; 32: 273-283https://doi.org/10.1017/S1049023X17000061
- 72nd World Health Assembly, Geneva, Switzerland, 2019.Anesth Analg. 2020; 130: e92-e94https://doi.org/10.1213/ANE.0000000000004594
- Trauma system development in low- and middle-income countries: a review.J Surg Res. 2015; 193: 300-307https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2014.09.040
- Development and implementation of a novel prehospital care system in the state of Kerala, India.Prehospital Disaster Med. 2016; 31: 663-666https://doi.org/10.1017/S1049023X16000960
- Overview of the essential trauma care project.World J Surg. 2006; 30: 919-929https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-005-0764-8
- A scoping review of worldwide studies evaluating the effects of prehospital time on trauma outcomes.Int J Emerg Med. 2020; 13: 64https://doi.org/10.1186/s12245-020-00324-7
- Access to emergency hospital care provided by the public sector in sub-Saharan Africa in 2015: a geocoded inventory and spatial analysis.Lancet Glob Health. 2018; 6: e342-e350https://doi.org/10.1016/S2214-109X(17)30488-6
- Developing emergency medical dispatch systems in Africa – recommendations of the African Federation for Emergency Medicine/International Academies of Emergency Dispatch Working Group.Afr J Emerg Med. 2015; 5: 141-147https://doi.org/10.1016/j.afjem.2015.06.005
- Assessment of the status of prehospital care in 13 low- and middle-income countries.Prehospital Emerg Care Off J Natl Assoc EMS Physicians Natl Assoc State EMS Dir. 2012; 16: 381-389https://doi.org/10.3109/10903127.2012.664245
- Where there is no EMS: lay providers in emergency medical services care - EMS as a public health priority.Prehospital Disaster Med. 2017; 32: 593-595https://doi.org/10.1017/S1049023X17006811
- Evaluation of a lay first responder program in sierra leone as a scalable model for prehospital trauma care.Injury. 2020; (Published online September): 8996https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2020.09.001
- Evaluating a novel prehospital emergency trauma care assessment tool (PETCAT) for low- and middle-income countries in Sierra Leone.World J Surg. 2021; 45: 2370-2377https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-021-06140-1
- Identifying a “super-responder” phenomenon in three African countries: implications for prehospital emergency care training.Injury. 2021; (Published online October 6S0020-1383(21)00845-7)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2021.09.064
Life expectancy at birth, total (years) - Sierra Leone. World Bank. 2020, https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.DYN.LE00.IN?locations=SL.
- Quantifying Surgical Capacity in Sierra Leone: a Guide for Improving Surgical Care.Arch Surg. 2009; 144: 122https://doi.org/10.1001/archsurg.2008.540
- The burden of trauma presenting to the government referral hospital in Freetown, Sierra Leone: an observational study.Afr J Emerg Med Rev Afr Med Urgence. 2019; 9: S9-S13https://doi.org/10.1016/j.afjem.2018.07.008
- Global status report on road safety 2018.World Health Organization, 2018 (Accessed October 6, 2021)
- Performance under stress conditions during multidisciplinary team immersive pediatric simulations.Pediatr Crit Care Med J Soc Crit Care Med World Fed Pediatr Intensive Crit Care Soc. 2018; 19: e270-e278https://doi.org/10.1097/PCC.0000000000001473
- Injury-severity analysis of intercity bus crashes in Ghana: a random parameters multinomial logit with heterogeneity in means and variances approach.Accid Anal Prev. 2021; 160106323https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2021.106323
- Assessment of vehicle speeds on different categories of roadways in Ghana.Int J Inj Contr Saf Promot. 2008; 15: 83-91https://doi.org/10.1080/17457300802048096
- Seatbelt use and speeding on three major roads in Egypt: a brief report.Injury. 2013; 44 (Suppl): S45-S48https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-1383(13)70212-2
- Pedestrian injuries in the most densely populated city in Nigeria-an epidemic calling for control.Traffic Inj Prev. 2015; 16: 184-189https://doi.org/10.1080/15389588.2014.921817
- Lay first responder training in Eastern Uganda: leveraging transportation infrastructure to build an effective prehospital emergency care training program.World J Surg. 2018; 42: 2293-2302https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-018-4467-3
- Developing a lay first responder program in chad: a 12-month follow-up evaluation of a rural prehospital emergency care program.Prehosp Dis Med. 2020; 35: 546-553https://doi.org/10.1017/S1049023X20000977
- Designing and implementing a practical prehospital emergency trauma care curriculum for lay first responders in Guatemala.Trauma Surg Acute Care Open. 2020; 5e000409https://doi.org/10.1136/tsaco-2019-000409
- Cost-effectiveness of lay first responders addressing road traffic injury in Sub-Saharan Africa.J Surg Res. 2022; 270: 104-112https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2021.08.032
- The birth and growth of the national ambulance service in Ghana.Prehospital Disaster Med. 2017; 32: 83-93https://doi.org/10.1017/S1049023X16001151
- Emergency response time and pre-hospital trauma survival rate of the national ambulance service, Greater Accra (January - December 2014).BMC Emerg Med. 2018; 18: 33https://doi.org/10.1186/s12873-018-0184-3
- Low-cost improvements in prehospital trauma care in a Latin American city.J Trauma - Inj Infect Crit Care. 2000; 48: 119-124https://doi.org/10.1097/00005373-200001000-00020
- Cost-effectiveness of emergency care interventions in low and middle-income countries: a systematic review.Bull World Health Organ. 2020; 98: 341-352https://doi.org/10.2471/BLT.19.241158
- Health system factors associated with post-trauma mortality at the prehospital care level in Africa: a scoping review.Trauma Surg Acute Care Open. 2020; 5e000530https://doi.org/10.1136/tsaco-2020-000530
- Exploring the factors motivating continued lay first responder participation in Uganda: a mixed-methods, 3-year follow-up.Emerg Med J EMJ. 2021; 38: 40-46https://doi.org/10.1136/emermed-2020-210076