- •Osseointegration prosthesis following transfemoral amputation is both cost effective and quality of life enhancing in appropriately selected patients.
- •Those who have performed poorly with traditional prosthetics, reflected by a EQ5D-HUV <0.60, should be offered osseointegration.
- •A strong argument exists for osseointegration to be commissioned within publicly funded healthcare systems as a second line prosthetic treatment in transfemoral amputees.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Walking ability and quality of life in subjects with transfemoral amputation: a comparison of osseointegration with socket prostheses.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2013; 94: 2174-2178
- Osseointegrated prostheses for the rehabilitation of amputees (OPRA): results and clinical perspective.Expert Rev Med Devices. 2020; 17: 17-25
- Biomechanical characterisation of bone-anchored implant systems for amputation limb prostheses: a systematic review.Ann Biomed Eng. 2018; 46: 377-391
- Osseointegration in skeletal reconstruction and rehabilitation: a review.J Rehabil Res Dev. 2001; 38: 175-181
- A novel osseointegrated percutaneous prosthetic system for the treatment of patients with transfemoral amputation: a prospective study of 51 patients.Bone Joint J. 2014; (96-B): 106-113
- Improvements in hip- and pelvic motion for patients with osseointegrated trans-femoral prostheses.Gait Posture. 2011; 33: 165-168
- Single-stage osseointegrated reconstruction and rehabilitation of lower limb amputees: the osseointegration group of australia accelerated protocol-2 (OGAAP-2) for a prospective cohort study.BMJ Open. 2017; 7e013508
- Complications of bone-anchored prostheses for individuals with an extremity amputation: a systematic review.PLoS ONE. 2018; 13e0201821
- Socket versus bone-anchored trans-femoral prostheses: hip range of motion and sitting comfort.Prosthet Orthot Int. 2005; 29: 153-163
- Comparison of prosthetic costs and service between osseointegrated and conventional suspended transfemoral prostheses.Prosthet Orthot Int. 2013; 37: 152-160
- Blast injuries and heterotopic ossification.Bone Joint Res. 2012; 1: 192-197
- Soft tissue and wound management of blast injuries.Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2015; 8: 265-271
- MOD to fund trial of life-changing surgery for amputees.MOD, 2015 (Crown Copyright;)
- Direct skeletal fixation in bilateral above knee amputees following blast: 2 year follow up results from the initial cohort of UK service personnel.Injury. 2020; 51: 735-743
NICE. The guidelines manual. 2012.
- Cost-effectiveness of bone-anchored prostheses using osseointegrated fixation: myth or reality?.Prosthet Orthot Int. 2018; 42: 318-327
- Patients with unilateral transfemoral amputation treated with a percutaneous osseointegrated prosthesis: a cost-effectiveness analysis.Bone Joint J. 2018; 100-B: 527-534
- Mapping SF-36 onto the EQ-5D index: how reliable is the relationship?.Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2009; 7: 27
- Quality of life of persons with transfemoral amputation: comparison of socket prostheses and osseointegrated prostheses.Prosthet Orthot Int. 2020; 309364620948649
- A 15-year follow-up of transfemoral amputees with bone-anchored transcutaneous prostheses.Bone Joint J. 2020; 102-B: 55-63
- Osseointegrated trans-femoral amputation prostheses: prospective results of general and condition-specific quality of life in 18 patients at 2-year follow-up.Prosthet Orthot Int. 2008; 32: 29-41
- Impact of prostheses on quality of life and functional status of transfemoral amputees in Tanzania.Afr J Disabil. 2021; 10: 839
- NICE's cost effectiveness threshold.BMJ. 2007; 335: 358-359
- Prosthetic cost projections for servicemembers with major limb loss from Vietnam and OIF/OEF.J Rehabil Res Dev. 2010; 47: 387-402
- Osseointegrated prosthetic implants for people with lower-limb amputation: a health technology assessment.Ont Health Technol Assess Ser. 2019; 19: 1-126
- Early predictors of long-term work disability after major limb trauma.J Trauma. 2006; 61: 688-694
- The mental health benefits of employment: results of a systematic meta-review.Australas Psychiatry. 2016; 24: 331-336
- Does employment affect health?.J Health Soc Behav. 1995; 36: 230-243
- The effect of re-employment on perceived health.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2011; 65: 639-644
- Population norms for the EQ-5D-3L: a cross-country analysis of population surveys for 20 countries.Eur J Health Econ. 2019; 20: 205-216