- •Multimodal pain injections for tibial plateau fractures appears to have some benefit for post-operative pain control.
- •The use of gel-foam sponges in traumatize soft tissue may not be safe and lead to infection.
- •The use of periarticular multimodal analgesic injections should be further studied in other fractures throughout the musculoskeletal system to determine their benefits.
Level of Evidence
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Does patient perception of pain control affect patient satisfaction across surgical units in a tertiary teaching hospital?.Am J Med Qual. 2012; 27: 411-416
- A systematic review of opioid use after extremity trauma in orthopedic surgery.Injury. 2018; 49: 1003-1007
- Opioid-limiting legislation associated with reduced postoperative prescribing after surgery for traumatic orthopaedic injuries.J Orthop Trauma. 2020; 34: e114-ee20
- Understanding the opioid epidemic: factors predictive of inpatient and postdischarge prescription opioid use after orthopaedic trauma.J Orthop Trauma. 2018; 32: e408-ee14
- Surgical site infection in tibial plateau fractures with ipsilateral compartment syndrome.Injury. 2017; 48: 495-500
- Radiographic predictors of compartment syndrome occurring after tibial fracture.J Orthop Trauma. 2016; 30: 387-391
- Compartment syndrome in tibial plateau fractures: do previously established predictors have external validity?.J Orthop Trauma. 2020; 34: 238-243
- Compartment syndrome in tibial shaft fracture missed because of a local nerve block.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1996; 78: 499-500
- Acute compartment syndrome in lower extremity musculoskeletal trauma.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2005; 13: 436-444
- The effect of a new multimodal perioperative anesthetic regimen on postoperative pain, side effects, rehabilitation, and length of hospital stay after total joint arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2006; 21: 132-138
- Efficacy of periarticular injection of bupivacaine, fentanyl, and methylprednisolone in total knee arthroplasty:a prospective, randomized trial.J Arthroplasty. 2010; 25: 851-857
- Effectiveness of multimodal pain management after bipolar hemiarthroplasty for hip fracture: a randomized, controlled study.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013; 95: 291-296
- Multimodal pain management in total knee arthroplasty: a prospective randomized controlled trial.J Arthroplasty. 2014; 29: 329-334
- Efficacy of intra-articular cocktail analgesic injection in total knee arthroplasty - a randomized controlled trial.Knee. 2009; 16: 280-284
- Efficacy of periarticular multimodal drug injection in total knee arthroplasty. A randomized trial.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2006; 88: 959-963
- A multimodal analgesia protocol for total knee arthroplasty. A randomized, controlled study.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2006; 88: 282-289
- Application of Gelatin Sponge Impregnated with a Mixture of 3 drugs to intraoperative nerve root block to promote early postoperative recovery of Lumbar Disc Herniation.World Neurosurg. 2018; 114: e1168-e1e73
- Efficacy of multimodal analgesic injections in operatively treated ankle fractures.J Bone Joint Surg. 2019; 101: 2194-2202
- Efficacy of surgical-site, multimodal drug injection following operative management of femoral fractures: a randomized controlled trial.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2017; 99: 512-519
- Risk factors for infection after operative fixation of Tibial plateau fractures.Injury. 2016; 47: 1501-1505
- Prolonged operative time increases infection rate in tibial plateau fractures.Injury. 2013; 44: 249-252
- Circumferential bone grafting around an absorbable gelatin sponge core reduced the amount of grafted bone in the induced membrane technique for critical-size defects of long bones.Injury. 2017; 48: 2292-2305
- Application of gelatin sponge impregnated with a mixture of 3 drugs to intraoperative nerve root block combined with robot-assisted minimally invasive transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion surgery in the treatment of adult degenerative scoliosis: a clinical observation including 96 patients.World Neurosurg. 2017; 108: 791-797
- Radiation therapy for heterotopic ossification prophylaxis acutely after elbow trauma.J Bone Joint Surg-Am. 2010; 92 (Volume): 2032-2038
- Effect of surgical-site, multimodal drug injection on pain and stress biomarkers in patients undergoing plate fixation for clavicular fractures.Clin Orthop Surg. 2018; 10: 455
- Evaluation of early postoperative pain and the effectiveness of perifracture site injections following volar plating for distal radius fractures.J Hand Surg Am. 2010; 35: 1787-1794
- Does surgical-site multimodal drug injection after palmar plating of distal radius fractures improve pain scores?.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2020;