- •Older patients with isolated chest trauma have low rates of complication.
- •The majority of patients are treated in non-major trauma centres.
- •Patients with isolated rib fractures, and those treated in non-major trauma centres have the lowest rates of complications.
- •There is a large group of patients with isolated rib fractures, who may not need to be treated in a major trauma centre.
Patients and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The changing face of major trauma in the UK.Emerg Med J. 2015; 32: 911-915
- Age-related trends in severe injury hospitalization in Canada.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2014; 77: 608-613
- Major trauma in older persons.BJS Open. 2018; 2: 310-318
- Department of, E. and D. Social affairs. population, world population ageing: 2017 highlights.UN, 2017
- Severe and multiple trauma in older patients; incidence and mortality.Injury. 2009; 40: 362-367
- Major trauma in older persons.BJS Open. 2018;
- Factors affecting mortality in older trauma patients – a systematic review and meta-analysis.Injury. 2016; 47: 1170-1183
- Blunt chest trauma in the elderly: an expert practice review.Emerg Med J. 2020; 37: 73-78
- Research network. Major trauma in older people.Trauma Audit and Research Network, Salford UK2017
- Ageing population has changed the nature of major thoracic injury.Emerg Med J. 2019; 36: 340-345
- Factors associated with survival following blunt chest trauma in older patients: results from a large regional trauma cooperative.Arch Surg. 2010; 145: 432-437
- Decreased risk of delirium with use of regional analgesia in geriatric trauma patients with multiple rib fractures.Ann Surg. 2018; 268: 534-540
- Patterns of injury and outcomes in the elderly patient with rib fractures: a multicenter observational study.Eur J Trauma Emerg Surg. 2019; 45: 575-583
- Comparison of geriatric trauma outcomes when admitted to a medical or surgical service after a fall.J Surg Res. 2019; 233: 391-396
- Cohort study on the prevalence and risk factors for delayed pulmonary complications in adults following minor blunt thoracic trauma.Can J Emerg Med. 2014; 16: 136-143
- Number of rib fractures thresholds independently predict worse outcomes in older patients with blunt trauma.Surgery. 2017; 161: 1083-1089
- Pulmonary contusions in the elderly after blunt trauma: incidence and outcomes.J Surg Res. 2018; 230: 110-116
- Victorian state trauma system.2020 ([cited 2020 17th November])
- International statistical classification of diseases and related health problems: alphabetical index. 3. World Health Organization, 2004
- Risk factors for adverse outcomes in older adults with blunt chest trauma: a systematic review.Can J Emerg Med. 2018; 20: 614-622
- Abbreviated injury scale 2005: update 2008.Russ Reeder, 2008 (200)
- Applied logistic regression. 398. John Wiley & Sons, 2013
- Half-a-dozen ribs: the breakpoint for mortality.Surgery. 2005; 138: 717-725
- Factors associated with complications in older adults with isolated blunt chest trauma.West J Emerg Med. 2009; 10: 79
- Admission of elderly blunt thoracic trauma patients directly to the intensive care unit improves outcomes.J Surg Res. 2017; 219: 334-340
- Western trauma association critical decisions in trauma: management of rib fractures.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2017; 82: 200-203
- Older adults with isolated rib fractures do not require routine intensive care unit admission.J Surg Res. 2020; 245: 492-499
- Effect of systematic intensive care unit triage on long-term mortality among critically ill elderly patients in France: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2017; 318: 1450-1459