- •People encountered an elevated risk of MVCs in 2 years after their diagnosis of type 2 diabetes.
- •Increased risk of MVCs after type 2 diabetes diagnosis was more observable in scooter riders than in car drivers.
- •Increased risk of MVCs after type 2 diabetes diagnosis was observed in all age, sex, and urbanization stratifications.
- •Physicians are encouraged to talk to their patients with type 2 diabetes about diabetic complications, hypoglycemia, and driving.
- •Awareness of MVC risk should be enhanced in patients with type 2 diabetes even in the early stage of disease.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Acute hypoglycemia impairs executive cognitive function in adults with and without type 1 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2013; 36: 3240-3246https://doi.org/10.2337/dc13-0194
- A systematic review of the effect of prior hypoglycaemia on cognitive function in type 1 diabetes.Ther Adv Endocrinol Metab. 2020; 112042018820906017https://doi.org/10.1177/2042018820906017
- Driving and diabetes: problems, licensing restrictions and recommendations for safe driving.Clin Diabetes Endocrinol. 2015; 1: 8https://doi.org/10.1186/s40842-015-0007-3
- Diabetes and driving.Diabetes Obes Metab. 2013; 15: 775-783https://doi.org/10.1111/dom.12071
- Hypoglycemia preceding fatal car collisions.Diabetes Care. 2006; 29: 467-468https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.29.02.06.dc05-1836
- Road traffic accidents and diabetes: insulin use does not determine risk.Diabet Med. 2008; 25: 578-584https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-5491.2008.02409.x
- Driving mishaps among individuals with type 1 diabetes: a prospective study.Diabetes Care. 2009; 32: 2177-2180https://doi.org/10.2337/dc08-1510
- Motor vehicle crashes in diabetic patients with tight glycemic control: a population-based case control analysis.PLoS Med. 2009; 6e1000192https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1000192
- Road traffic accident risk in patients with diabetes mellitus receiving blood glucose-lowering drugs. Prospective follow-up study.Diabet Med. 2009; 26: 404-408https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-5491.2009.02699.x
Bieber-Tregear M., Funmilayo D., Amana A., Connor D., Tregear S., Tiller, M. Evidence report: 2010 update: diabetes and commercial motor vehicle driver safety. department of transportation's federal motor carrier safety administration 2011. doi:10.21949/1502948.
- Diabetes and collision risk. A meta-analysis and meta-regression.Int. J. Clin. Pract. 2016; 70: 554-568https://doi.org/10.1111/ijcp.12832
- Diabetes and driving.Can J Diabetes. 2018; 42: S150-S153https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcjd.2017.10.018
- Risk of major adverse cardiovascular events, severe hypoglycemia, and all-cause mortality in postpancreatitis diabetes mellitus versus type 2 diabetes: a nationwide population-based cohort study.Diabetes Care. 2022; dc212531https://doi.org/10.2337/dc21-2531
- Accidents involving pedestrians with their backs to traffic or facing traffic: an evaluation of crash characteristics and injuries.J Adv Transp. 2016; 50: 736-751https://doi.org/10.1002/atr.1372
- Risk of 30-day mortality and its association with alcohol concentration level among driver victims of motor vehicle crashes: comparison of population- and hospital-based designs.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2020; 74: 815-823https://doi.org/10.1136/jech-2020-213953
- Risk of heart failure in a population with type 2 diabetes versus a population without diabetes with and without coronary heart disease.Diabetes Obes Metab. 2019; 21: 112-119https://doi.org/10.1111/dom.13493
- Accuracy of cause-of-death coding in Taiwan: types of miscoding and effects on mortality statistics.Int J Epidemiol. 2000; 29: 336-343https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/29.2.336
- Incorporating development stratification of Taiwan townships into sampling design of large scale health interview survey.J Health Manag. 2006; 4: 1-22https://doi.org/10.29805/JHM.200606.0001
- Associations of hyperglycemic emergency and severe hypoglycemia incidences with seasonality and ambient temperature among pregnant women with diabetes: a nested case-control study in Taiwan.Environ Health Prev Med. 2022; 27: 11https://doi.org/10.1265/ehpm.22-00003
- Statistical methods in cancer research. Volume II. The design and analysis of cohort studies.IARC Scientific Publications, 1987: p110 (No. 82)
- Human factors in traffic safety.2nd ed. Lawyers and Judges Publishing Company, Tucson, AZ, USA2007
- Age-related diseases and driving safety.Geriatrics (Basel). 2020; 5: 80https://doi.org/10.3390/geriatrics5040080
- Compendium of physical activities: a second update of codes and MET values.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2011; 43 (2011): 1575-1581https://doi.org/10.1249/MSS.0b013e31821ece12
- Metabolic demand of driving among adults with type 1 diabetes mellitus (T1DM).Ann Adv Automot Med. 2010; 54: 367-372
- Comparison of non-insulin antidiabetic agents as an add-on drug to insulin therapy in type 2 diabetes: a network meta-analysis.Sci Rep. 2018; 8: 4095https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-22443-1
- Severe hypoglycemia and risks of vascular events and death.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 1410-1418https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1003795
- Type 2 diabetes can undermine driving performance of middle-aged male drivers through its deterioration of perceptual and cognitive functions.Accid Anal Prev. 2020; 134105334https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2019.105334
- Diabetes-related cognitive dysfunction: hyperglycemia in the early stage might be a key?.J Diabetes Investig. 2018; 9: 1019-1021https://doi.org/10.1111/jdi.12808
- Altered accelerator pedal control in a driving simulator in people with diabetic peripheral neuropathy.Diabetic Med. 2020; 37: 335-342https://doi.org/10.1111/dme.13957
- Global estimates of undiagnosed diabetes in adults.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2014; 103 (Feb): 150-160https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2013.11.001
- Development of predictive risk models for major adverse cardiovascular events among patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus using health insurance claims data.Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2018; 17: 118https://doi.org/10.1186/s12933-018-0759-z
- Risk of mortality in association with pregnancy in women following motor vehicle crashes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2022; 19: 911https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph19020911
- Health behaviour changes after type 2 diabetes diagnosis: findings from the english longitudinal study of ageing.Sci Rep. 2018; 8: 16938https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-35238-1
- Medical claims-based case-control study of temporal relationship between clinical visits for hand syndromes and subsequent diabetes diagnosis: implications for identifying patients with undiagnosed type 2 diabetes mellitus.BMJ Open. 2016; 6e012071https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2016-012071