- •Complex rib fracture patients have improved outcomes if admitted to a center with a dedicated rib fracture program.
- •Rib fracture programs can be quickly implemented into trauma centers.
- •All level one trauma programs should have a dedicated rib fracture management program.
Level of Evidence
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Epidemiology and outcome of rib fractures: a nationwide study in the Netherlands.Eur J Trauma Emerg Surg. 2022; 48: 265-271
- Rib fractures in the elderly.J Trauma. 2000; 48: 1040-1046
- Western trauma association critical decisions in trauma : management of rib fractures.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2017; 82: 200-203
- Surgical stabilization of rib fractures: a single institution experience.J Am Coll Surg. 2018; 226: 961-966
- Quantifying and exploring the recent national increase in surgical stabilization of rib fractures.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2017; 83: 1047-1052
- Consensus statement: surgical stabilization of rib fractures rib fracture colloquium clinical practice guidelines.Injury. 2017; 48: 307-321
- Surgical fixation vs nonoperative management of flail chest : a meta-analysis.J Am Coll Surg. 2013; 216: 302-311
- Management of pulmonary contusion and flail chest : an eastern association for the surgery of trauma practice management guideline.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2012; 73
- Risk factors that predict mortality in patients with blunt chest wall trauma : a systematic review and meta-analysis.Injury. 2012; 43: 8-17
- Prolonged pain and disability are common after rib fractures.Am J Surg. 2013; 205: 511-516
- “Early results after initiation of a rib fixation programme : a propensity score matched analysis”.Injury. 2022; 53: 137-144
- Surgical stabilization of internal pneumatic stabilization? A prospective randomized study of management of severe.J Trauma. 1998; 52: 727-732
- Surgical versus conservative treatment of flail chest. Evaluation of the pulmonary status.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2005; 4: 583-587
- A randomized controlled trial of surgical rib fixation in polytrauma patients with flail chest.J Surg Res. 2019; 242: 223-230
- Surgical versus nonsurgical interventions for flail chest (Review).Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015; 7: 1-30
- Operative management versus non ‑ operative management of rib fractures in flail chest injuries : a systematic review.Eur J Trauma Emerg Surg. 2017; : 163-168
- Does surgery reduce the risk of complications among patients with multiple rib fractures? A meta-analysis.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2019; : 193-205
- Operative treatment of rib fractures in flail chest injuries : a meta-analysis and cost-effectiveness analysis.J Orthop Trauma. 2016; 01605: 64-70
- A multicenter, prospective, controlled clinical trial of surgical stabilization of rib fractures in patients with severe, nonflail fracture patterns (Chest Wall Injury Society NONFLAIL).J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2020; 88: 249-257
- Heterogeneity in managing rib fractures across non-trauma and level I, II, and III trauma centers.Am J Surg. 2021; 222: 849-854
- Chest wall injury centers — how we did it.J Thorac Dis. 2021; 13: 6104-6107
- What is the optimal timing to perform surgical stabilization of rib fractures?.J Thorac Dis. 2021; 13: 0-3
- Attention to detail : a dedicated rib fracture consultation service leads to earlier operation and improved clinical outcomes.Am J Surg. 2021; 223: 410-416
- A decade of surgical stabilization of rib fractures: the effect of study year on patient selection, operative characteristics, and in-hospital outcome.Injury. Epub. 2021;
- Prospective randomized controlled trial of operative rib fixation in traumatic flail chest.J Am Coll Surg. 2013; 216: 924-932
- Rib fixation in non-ventilator dependent chest wall injuries: a prospective randomized trial.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. Epub. 2022;