- •Fracture site was not significantly associated with distal anterior or distal lateral bowing in the present study.
- •DOC of the medullary canal was affected by the variable of proximal lateral and anterior bowing.
- •Geometric change of the proximal femur plays an important role in the fracture site and morphologic features of diaphyseal bowing.
- •New nail design for Asian atypical femur that could increase the radius of curve (ROC) but decrease the mediolateral angle needs to be introduced.
Materials and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Atypical subtrochanteric and diaphyseal femoral fractures: second report of a task force of the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research.J Bone Min Res. 2014; 29: 1-23
- High revision rate but good healing capacity of atypical femoral fractures. A comparison with common shaft fractures.Injury. 2015; 46: 2468-2473
- Atypical fractures of the femur: effect of anterolateral bowing of the femur on fracture location.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2015; 135: 1485-1490
- Penetration of the distal femoral anterior cortex during intramedullary nailing for subtrochanteric fractures: a report of three cases.J Orthop Trauma. 2005; 19: 656-660
- Trochanteric-entry long cephalomedullary nailing of subtrochanteric fractures caused by low-energy trauma.JBJS. 2005; 87: 2217-2226
- Early complications associated with cephalomedullary nail for intertrochanteric hip fractures.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2012; 72 (E101-E5)
- Intramedullary nailing for atypical femoral fracture with excessive anterolateral bowing.J Bone Joint Surg Am Volume. 2017; 99: 726-735
- Surgical treatment of the atypical femoral fracture: overcoming femoral bowing.Hip Pelvis. 2018; 30: 202-209
- Effects of teriparatide [rhPTH (1-34)] treatment on structural geometry of the proximal femur in elderly osteoporotic women.Bone. 2005; 36: 948-958
- DXA-based hip structural analysis of once-weekly bisphosphonate-treated postmenopausal women with low bone mass.Osteoporosis Int. 2009; 20: 911-921
- Effect of minodronic acid hydrate on hip geometry in Japanese women with postmenopausal osteoporosis.J Bone Miner Metab. 2010; 28: 334-341
- Bone mechanical properties and changes with osteoporosis.Injury. 2016; 47 (Suppl 2:S11-20)
- The new proximal femoral nail antirotation-Asia: early results.Orthopedics. 2011; 34: 351
- Implications of three-dimensional modeling of the proximal femur for cephalomedullary nailing: an Asian cadaver study.Injury. 2017; 48: 2060-2067
- Reliability of measuring lateral bowing angle of the femur in patients with atypical femur fractures.J Orthop Surg. 2019; 27 (2309499019881475)
- Location of fractures and the characteristics of patients with atypical femoral fractures: analyses of 38 Japanese cases.J Bone Min Metab. 2017; 35: 209-214
- Potential pathogenic mechanism for stress fractures of the bowed femoral shaft in the elderly: mechanical analysis by the CT-based finite element method.Injury. 2014; 45: 1764-1771
- Eliminating projection error of measuring Pauwels' angle in the femur neck fractures by CT plane manipulation.Orthop Traumatol Surg Res. 2020; 106: 607-611
- Assessment of osseous corridor for transiliac-transsacral screws and clinical applications: computational simulation study.Orthop Traumatol Surg Res. 2020; 106: 863-867
- Three-dimensional computed tomography-based modeling of sagittal cadaveric femoral bowing and implications for intramedullary nailing.J Orthop Trauma. 2014; 28: 10-16
- Femoral antecurvation—a 3D CT Analysis of 1232 adult femurs.PLoS One. 2018; 13
- A systematic approach to the plain radiographic evaluation of the young adult hip.J Bone Joint Surg Am Volume. 2008; 90: 47-66
- Variation in the femoral bow: a novel high-throughput analysis of 3922 femurs on cross-sectional imaging.J Orthop Trauma. 2014; 28: 6-9
- Femoral shaft bowing with age: a digital radiological study of Anatolian Caucasian adults.Diagn Interv Radiol. 2008; 14: 29-32
- Three-dimensional computed tomography–based modeling of sagittal cadaveric femoral bowing and implications for intramedullary nailing.J Orthop Trauma. 2014; 28: 10-16
- Age-related changes in bone density, geometry and biomechanical properties of the proximal femur: CT-based 3D hip structure analysis in normal postmenopausal women.Bone. 2011; 48: 627-630