- •Traumatic cataract secondary to ocular trauma is one of the main causes of visal loss in pediatric age group.
- •Children are prone to such injuries due to low attention, limited motor skills and inadequate risk assesment.
- •Visual prognosis after traumatic cataract depends on the associated ocular tissue damage.
- •Surgical approach and optimal timing are very important and challenging in pediatric patients due to the visual rehabilitation process.
Material and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Pediatric open globe injury: a review of the literature.J Emerg Trauma Shock. 2015; 8: 216-223https://doi.org/10.4103/0974-2700.166663
- Traumatic cataract in children in Eastern China: Shanghai pediatric cataract study.Sci Rep. 2018; 8: 2588https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-20982-1
- A five-year retrospective study of the epidemiological characteristics and visual outcomes of pediatric ocular trauma.BMC Ophthalmol. 2018; 18: 10https://doi.org/10.1186/s12886-018-0676-7
- Epidemiology and intermediate-term outcomes of open- and closed-globe injuries in traumatic childhood cataract.Eur J Ophthalmol. 2014; 24: 124-130https://doi.org/10.5301/ejo.5000342
- Pediatric traumatic cataract and surgery outcomes in eastern China: a hospital-based study.Int J Ophthalmol. 2013; 6: 160-164https://doi.org/10.3980/j.issn.2222-3959.2013.02.10
- Clinical profile and visual outcome of traumatic paediatric cataract in suburban Malaysia: a ten-year experience.Singapore Med J. 2014; 55: 253-256https://doi.org/10.11622/smedj.2014067
- Prognostic indicators of open globe injuries in children.Am J Emerg Med. 2009; 27: 530-535https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajem.2008.04.004
- Primary versus secondary intraocular lens implantation in traumatic cataract after open-globe injury in pediatric patients.J Cataract Refract Surg. 2018; 44: 1446-1453https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcrs.2018.07.061
- Visual recovery and predictors of visual prognosis after managing traumatic cataracts in 555 patients.Indian J Ophthalmol. 2011; 59: 217-222https://doi.org/10.4103/0301-4738.81043
- Visual outcome of traumatic cataract in pediatric age group.Eur J Ophthalmol. 2012; 22: 956-963https://doi.org/10.5301/ejo.5000111
- The ocular trauma score (OTS).Ophthalmol Clin North Am. 2002; 15 (vi): 163-165https://doi.org/10.1016/s0896-1549(02)00007-x
- Unilateral scleral fixation of posterior chamber intraocular lenses in pediatric complicated traumatic cataract.Korean J Ophthalmol. 2009; 23: 148-152
- Epidemiology of open globe injury in children.J Craniofac Surg. 2017; 28: 1976-1981https://doi.org/10.1097/SCS.0000000000004033
- Visual outcome of traumatic cataract at a tertiary eye care centre in North India: a prospective study.J Clin Diagn Res. 2016; 10: 05-08
- Epidemiological and clinical features of paediatric open globe injuries in southwestern Turkey.Int J Ophthalmol. 2013; 6: 855-860https://doi.org/10.3980/j.issn.2222-3959.2013.06.20
- Early versus late traumatic cataract surgery and intraocular lens implantation.Eye. 2017; 31: 1199-1204https://doi.org/10.1038/eye.2017.57
- Clinical and epidemiologic characteristics of severe childhood ocular injuries in Southern Iran.Middle East Afr J Ophthalmol. 2011; 18: 136-140
- Paediatric ocular trauma in a tertiary eye care center in Eastern India.Indian J Public Health. 2014; 58: 278-280
- Prognostic factors for visual outcome in traumatic cataract patients.J Ophthalmol. 2016; 1748583https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/1748583
- Management of traumatic cataract in adults at a reference center in Mexico City.Int Ophthalmol. 2015; 35: 451-458https://doi.org/10.1007/s10792-014-9968-y
- Posterior chamber lens implantation for primary repair of corneal lacerations and traumatic cataracts in children.J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus. 1994; 31: 157-161
- Effect of penetrating and blunt ocular trauma on the outcome of traumatic cataract in children in northern India.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2012; 73 (Sep): 726-730https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0b013e31825eeac9
- Sutured posterior chamber intraocular lenses for traumatic cataract in Africa.J Cataract Refract Surg. 2014; 40: 1097-1101https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcrs.2014.01.031
- Intraocular lens implantation for traumatic cataract in children in East Africa.J Cataract Refract Surg. 2001; 27: 2017-2025