- •Taking DHS as the core, our study explored the internal fixation method of DHS + BS for the first time, added FNS and CSS, and compared the biomechanical properties of six internal fixation methods for the treatment of Pauwels type III femoral neck fracture: CSS, DHS, DHS + SS, DHS + BS, DHS + MBP and FNS.
- •DHS combined with anti rotation screw or medial buttress plate can effectively enhance the fixation stability, and the fixation enhancement effect of medial buttress plate on DHS is better than that of single anti rotation screw.
- •The biomechanical properties of FNS and DHS + SS are very close, indicating that FNS can be used as a new choice for the treatment of femoral neck fracture.
- •Comprehensive analysis shows that DHS + BS has better biomechanical properties than the other five methods.
Background and objective
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- An estimate of the worldwide prevalence and disability associated with osteoporotic fractures.Osteoporosis Int. 2006; 17: 1726-1733https://doi.org/10.1007/s00198-006-0172-4
- An estimate of the worldwide prevalence, mortality and disability associated with hip fracture.Osteoporosis Int. 2004; 15: 897-902https://doi.org/10.1007/s00198-004-1627-0
- Excess mortality following hip fracture: a systematic epidemiological review.Osteoporosis Int. 2009; 20: 1633-1650https://doi.org/10.1007/s00198-009-0920-3
- World-wide projections for hip fracture.Osteoporosis Int. 1997; 7: 407-413https://doi.org/10.1007/PL00004148
- Pauwels' classification of femoral neck fractures: correct interpretation of the original.J Orthop Trauma. 2001; 15: 358-360https://doi.org/10.1097/00005131-200106000-00009
- Complications following young femoral neck fractures.Injury. 2015; 46: 484-491https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2014.10.010
- Fracture and dislocation classification compendium-2007 - Orthopaedic Trauma Association classification, database and outcomes committee.J Orthop Trauma. 2007; 21S: S1-S133https://doi.org/10.1097/00005131-200711101-00001
- Results of internal fixation of Pauwels type-3 vertical femoral neck fractures.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2008; 90A: 1654-1659https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.G.01353
- Finite element analysis of a new plate for Pauwels type III femoral neck fractures.J Int Med Res. 2020; 481410560510https://doi.org/10.1177/0300060520903669
- Comparison of three different internal fixation implants in treatment of femoral neck fracture-a finite element analysis.J Orthop Surg Res. 2019; 14https://doi.org/10.1186/s13018-019-1148-3
- Comparison of three fixation methods for femoral neck fracture in young adults: experimental and numerical investigations.J Med Biol Eng. 2015; 35: 566-579https://doi.org/10.1007/s40846-015-0085-9
- Medial anatomical buttress plate in treating displaced femoral neck fracture a finite element analysis.Injury. 2019; 50: 1895-1900https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2019.08.024
- A sliding hip screw augmented with 2 screws is biomechanically similar to an inverted triad of cannulated screws in repair of a Pauwels type-III fracture.Injury. 2017; 48: 1743-1748https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2017.05.013
- Biomechanical evaluation of the femoral neck system in unstable Pauwels III femoral neck fractures: a comparison with the dynamic hip screw and cannulated screws.J Orthop Trauma. 2017; 31: 131-137https://doi.org/10.1097/BOT.0000000000000739
- Fracture fixation in the operative management of hip fractures (FAITH): an international, multicentre, randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2017; 389: 1519-1527https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(17)30066-1
- Comparative study of two materials for dynamic hip screw during fall and gait loading: titanium alloy and stainless steel.J Orthop Sci. 2011; 16: 805-813https://doi.org/10.1007/s00776-011-0145-0
- Finite element study of trochanteric gamma nail for trochanteric fracture.Med Eng Phys. 2003; 25: 99-106https://doi.org/10.1016/S1350-4533(02)00185-6
- Selection of fixation devices in proximal femur rotational osteotomy: clinical complications and finite element analysis.Clin Biomech. 2004; 19: 255-262https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2003.12.003
- Type of hip fracture determines load share in intramedullary osteosynthesis.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2009; 467: 1972-1980https://doi.org/10.1007/s11999-009-0800-3
- Determination of muscle loading at the hip joint for use in pre-clinical testing.J Biomech. 2005; 38: 1155-1163https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2004.05.022
- Static and dynamic load on hip contact of hip prosthesis and thai femoral bones.Int J Mech Mechatron Eng. 2015; 58: 251-255https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1099670
- Biomechanical analysis of the computer-assisted internal fixation of a femoral neck fracture.Genes Dis. 2020; 7: 448-455https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gendis.2019.04.006
- Biomechanical rationale for implant choices in femoral neck fracture fixation in the non-elderly.Injury. 2015; 46: 445-452https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2014.12.031
- Sliding hip screw versus cannulated cancellous screws for fixation of femoral neck fracture in adults: a systematic review.Int J Surg. 2018; 52: 89-97https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsu.2018.01.050
- Fixation of displaced femoral neck fractures in young adults: fixed-angle devices or Pauwel screws?.Injury. 2016; 47: 1676-1684https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2016.03.014
- Biomechanical evaluation of internal fixation implants for femoral neck fractures: a comparative finite element analysis.Comput Methods Programs Biomed. 2020; 196105714https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cmpb.2020.105714
- Biomechanical study of two alternative methods for the treatment of vertical femoral neck fractures—A finite element analysis.Comput Methods Programs Biomed. 2021; 211106409https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cmpb.2021.106409
- The vertical hip fracture-a treatment challenge. A cohort study with an up to 9 year follow-up of 137 consecutive hips treated with sliding hip screw and antirotation screw.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2012; 13https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2474-13-171
- Higher stability and more predictive fixation with the femoral neck system versus Hansson pins in femoral neck fractures Pauwels II.J Orthop Transl. 2020; 24: 88-95https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jot.2020.06.002
- Biomechanical analysis of augmented plate fixation for the treatment of vertical shear femoral neck fractures.J Orthop Trauma. 2015; 29: 144-150https://doi.org/10.1097/BOT.0000000000000205
- Risk factors for nonunion in patients with intracapsular femoral neck fractures treated with three cannulated screws placed in either a triangle or an inverted triangle configuration.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013; 95A: 61-69https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.K.01081