- •Internal fixation for unstable pelvic ring fractures is associated with complications, including bleeding, invasion of soft tissues, and a weak fixation force.
- •This study compared surgical outcomes of internal fixation within the pelvic ring using the S2 alar iliac screw with trans-iliac plate fixation.
- •Internal fixation in the pelvic ring using the S2 alar iliac screw is a less invasive technique, with less intraoperative bleeding, than trans-iliac plate fixation.
Materials and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- High incidence of ischemic necrosis of the gluteal muscle after transcatheter angiographic embolization for severe pelvic fracture.J Trauma Inj Infect Crit Care. 2005; 58: 985-990
- Early results of percutaneous iliosacral screws placed with the patient in the supine position.J Orthop Trauma. 1995; 9: 207-214
- Transiliac-transsacral screws for posterior pelvic stabilization.J Orthop Trauma. 2011; 25: 378-384
- Surgical treatment of vertically unstable sacral fractures using a new plate.Kurume Med J. 2005; 52: 857-863
- Modified triangular posterior osteosynthesis of unstable sacrum fracture.Eur Spine J. 2006; 15: 857-863
- The incidence of and factors affecting iliosacral screw loosening in pelvic ring injury.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2016; 136: 921-927
- The galveston technique of pelvic fixation with L-rod instrumentation of the spine.Spine. 1984; 9: 388-394
- Three-dimensional X-ray analysis of normal movement in the lumbar spine.Spine. 1984; 9: 294-297
- Less invasive lumbopelvic stabilization of posterior pelvic ring instability: technique and preliminary results.J Trauma Inj Infect Crit Care. 2011; 71: E62-E70
- A biomechanical comparison of ipsilateral and contralateral pedicle screw placement for modified triangular osteosynthesis in unstable pelvic fractures.J Orthop Trauma. 2013; 27: 515-520
- Sacropelvic fixation: Techniques and complications.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2010; 35: 2245-2251
- Biomechanical evaluation of S2 alar-iliac screws: effect of length and quad-cortical purchase as compared with iliac fixation.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2013; 38: E1250-E1255
- Biomechanical comparison of spinopelvic fixation constructs: iliac screw versus S2-Alar-Iliac screw.Spine Deform. 2016; 4: 10-15
- Sacropelvic fixation: two case reports of a new percutaneous technique.Spine (Phila. Pa. 1976). 2011; 36: 618-621
- Triangular osteosynthesis using an S1 pedicle screw and S2 alar iliac screw for a unilateral vertically displaced sacral fracture.World Neurosurg. 2020; 142: 57-61
- Percutaneous S2 alar iliac fixation for pelvic insufficiency fracture.Orthopedics. 2014; 37: e1033-e1035
- Minimally invasive fixation for spinopelvic dissociation: percutaneous triangular osteosynthesis with S2 alar-iliac and iliosacral screws.JBJS Case Connect. 2019; 9: 9-12
- The paraspinal sacrospinalis-splitting approach to the lumbar spine.J Bone Jt Surg. 1968; 50: 919-926
- Complications associated with surgical stabilization of high-grade sacral fracture dislocations with spino-pelvic instability.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2006; 31: 80-88
- Comprehensive analysis with minimum 1-year follow-up of vertically unstable transforaminal sacral fractures treated with triangular osteosynthesis.J Orthop Trauma. 2009; 23: 313-319
- Comparison between posterior sacral plate stabilization versus minimally invasive transiliac-transsacral lag-screw fixation in fractures of sacrum: a single-centre experience.Int Orthop. 2019; 43: 177-185
- Spinopelvic dissociation: comparison of outcomes of percutaneous versus open fixation strategies.Adv Orthop. 2018; 20185023908
- Surgical management of U/H type sacral fractures: outcomes following iliosacral and lumbopelvic fixation.J Spine Surg. 2018; 4: 361-367
- Minimally invasive spinopelvic ‘crab-shaped fixation’ for unstable pelvic ring fractures: technical note and 16 case series.J Orthop Surg Res. 2019; 14: 1-7
- Reduction and fixation of sacroiliac joint dislocation by the combined use of S1 pedicle screws and the Galveston technique.Spine (Phila. Pa. 1976). 2000; 25: 1977-1983
- Minimally invasive surgery for unstable pelvic ring fractures: transiliac rod and screw fixation.Acta Med Okayama. 2020; 74: 27-32
- Minimally invasive triangular osteosynthesis for highly unstable sacral fractures: technical notes and preliminary clinical outcomes.Medicine (U S). 2019; 98: e16004
- Traumatic spino-pelvic dissociation with bilateral triangular fixation.Orthop Surg. 2018; 10: 205-211
- Within ring”-based sacroiliac rod fixation may overcome the weakness of spinopelvic fixation for unstable pelvic ring injuries: technical notes and clinical outcomes.Int Orthop. 2018; 42: 1405-1411
- Biomechanical advantages of dual over single iliac screws in lumbo-iliac fixation construct.Eur Spine J. 2010; 19 (1121-8)
- Effect of the screw type (S2-alar-iliac and iliac), screw length, and screw head angle on the risk of screw and adjacent bone failures after a spinopelvic fixation technique: a finite element analysis.PLoS One. 2018; 13: 1-21