- •The STUMBL score is a prognostic model for patients with blunt thoracic trauma, derived and externally validated in the United Kingdom.
- •Given the paucity of studies in this field, there is an urgent need to validate a predictive tool for patients with blunt thoracic trauma.
- •In this validation study, the STUMBL score demonstrated an excellent performance in predicting outcomes of patients with blunt thoracic trauma.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Comprehensive analysis of 4205 patients with chest trauma: a 10-year experience.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2009; 9 (SepEpub 2009 Jun 18. PMID: 19541693): 450-453https://doi.org/10.1510/icvts.2009.206599
- Treatments for blunt chest trauma and their impact on patient outcomes and health service delivery.Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med. 2015; 23 (Feb 8PMID: 25887859; PMCID: PMC4322452): 17https://doi.org/10.1186/s13049-015-0091-5
- Risk factors that predict mortality in patients with blunt chest wall trauma: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Injury. 2012; 43 (JanEpub 2011 Jan 22. PMID: 21256488): 8-17https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2011.01.004
- Assessment of severity of chest trauma: is there an ideal scoring system?.Injury. 2010; 41 (OctPMID: 20728883): 981-983https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2010.08.004
- Chest trauma scoring systems for predicting respiratory complications in isolated rib fracture.J Surg Res. 2019; 244 (DecEpub 2019 Jul 4. PMID: 31279998): 84-90https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2019.06.009
- Predicting outcomes after blunt chest wall trauma: development and external validation of a new prognostic model.Crit Care. 2014; 18 (May 14PMID: 24887537; PMCID: PMC4095687): R98https://doi.org/10.1186/cc13873
- Retrospective validation of a risk stratification tool developed for the management of patients with blunt chest trauma (the STUMBL score).Emerg Med Australas. 2021; 33 (OctEpub 2021 Feb 17. PMID: 33599054): 841-847https://doi.org/10.1111/1742-6723.13740
- A multicentre randomised feasibility STUdy evaluating the impact of a prognostic model for management of blunt chest wall trauma patients: STUMBL Trial.BMJ Open. 2019; 9 (Jul 26PMID: 31350248; PMCID: PMC6661629)e029187https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2019-029187
- Committee on Trauma.Advanced trauma life support: student course manual. 10th ed. American College of Surgeons, Chicago, IL2018
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation.J Chronic Dis. 1987; 40 (PMID: 3558716): 373-383https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9681(87)90171-8
- Transparent reporting of a multivariable prediction model for individual prognosis or diagnosis (TRIPOD): explanation and elaboration.Ann Intern Med. 2015; 162 (Jan 6PMID: 25560730): W1-73https://doi.org/10.7326/M14-0698
- Calibration belt for quality-of-care assessment based on dichotomous outcomes.PLoS One. 2011; 6 (Feb 23PMID: 21373178; PMCID: PMC3043050): e16110https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0016110
- A new test and graphical tool to assess the goodness of fit of logistic regression models.Stat Med. 2016; 35 (Feb 28Epub 2015 Oct 5. PMID: 26439593): 709-720https://doi.org/10.1002/sim.6744
- Appraisal of early evaluation of blunt chest trauma: development of a standardized scoring system for initial clinical decision making.J Trauma. 2000; 49 (SepPMID: 11003329): 496-504https://doi.org/10.1097/00005373-200009000-00018
- A chest trauma scoring system to predict outcomes.Surgery. 2014; 156 (OctPMID: 25239357): 988-993https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2014.06.045
- RibScore: a novel radiographic score based on fracture pattern that predicts pneumonia, respiratory failure, and tracheostomy.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2016; 80 (JanPMID: 26683395): 95-101https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0000000000000867
The study was not supported by any external funding.