- •VATS could be applied to selected blunt trauma patients with massive haemothorax.
- •The major differences between the VATS and thoracotomy groups were coagulopathy, acidosis, PaO2/FiO2 ratio < 200 mmHg, or a persistent need for blood transfusion.
- •The conversion to thoracotomy rate of VATS for blunt trauma patients with massive haemothorax was 26% in the current study.
- •VATS took more time for anaesthesia and preparation.
Materials and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Video assisted thoracoscopic surgery.Postgrad Med J. 2000; 76: 547-550
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery–state of the art.Ann Ital Chir. 2000; 71: 539-543
Mehrotra M., D'Cruz J.R., Arthur M.E. Video-Assisted Thoracoscopy. [Updated 2021 Aug 4]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK532952/.
- Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery as the gold standard for lung cancer surgery.Respirology. 2020; 25: 49-60
- Video-assisted pulmonary metastectomy is equivalent to thoracotomy regarding resection status and survival.J Cardiothorac Surg. 2021; 16: 1-8
- Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery versus open thoracotomy for pulmonary metastasectomy: a systematic review.ANZ J Surg. 2015; 85: 408-413
- Postoperative pulmonary complications and rehabilitation requirements following lobectomy: a propensity score matched study of patients undergoing video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery versus thoracotomy†.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2017; 24: 931-937
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery versus open thoracotomy for non-small cell lung cancer: a meta-analysis of propensity score-matched patients.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2013; 16: 244-249
- Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery lung resection in united states veterans: trends and outcomes versus thoracotomy.Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2021; (Advance online publication)https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0041-1728707
- The comparison of complication, pain, quality of life and performance after lung resections with thoracoscopy and axillary thoracotomy.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2014; 46: 614-619
- Management of post-traumatic retained hemothorax: a prospective, observational, multicenter AAST study.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2012; 72: 11-22
- Management of simple and retained hemothorax: a practice management guideline from the Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma.Am J Surg. 2021; 221: 873-884
- Traumatic retained hemothorax: is it time for video assisted thoracoscopic surgery.Int Surg J. 2020; 7: 3880
- Role of thoracoscopy in acute management of chest injury.Curr Opin Crit Care. 2006; 12: 584-589
- Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery for acute thoracic trauma.J Emerg Trauma Shock. 2013; 6: 106-109
- Through the 10-mm looking glass: advances in minimally invasive surgery in Trauma.Scand J Surg. 2014; 103: 143-148
- Role of videothoracoscopy in chest trauma.Ann Thorac Surg. 1997; 63: 327-333
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery: state of the art in trauma care.Injury. 2004; 35: 479-489
- Is massive hemothorax still an absolute indication for operation in blunt trauma?.Injury. 2021; 52: 225-230
- Thoracoscopy for the acutely injured patient.Am J Surg. 2005; 190: 234-238
- Minimally invasive techniques in thoracic trauma.Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2008; 20: 72-77
- Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery in trauma: pros and cons.J Thorac Dis. 2019; 11: 1662-1667
- Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery in the treatment of chest trauma: long-term benefit.Ann Thorac Surg. 2007; 83: 383-387
- A comparison of video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery with open thoracotomy for the management of chest trauma: a systematic review and meta-analysis.World J Surg. 2015; 39: 940-952