- •Repeat assault is a significant public health issue.
- •Youth, racialized and marginalized groups, and those with mental health concerns or contact with the criminal justice system were most at-risk for repeat assault.
- •Our findings suggest that early intervention targeted to at-risk groups will be important in developing effective prevention strategies.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
- Quality of life two years after severe trauma: a single-centre evaluation.Injury. 2014; 45 (Suppl): S100-S105
- Long-term functional, psychological, emotional, and social outcomes in survivors of firearm injuries.JAMA Surg. 2019;
World Health Organization. Homicide: WHO global health estimates (2015 update) 2017 [Available from: https://apps.who.int/violence-info/homicide/.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Web-based injury statistics query and reporting system 2022 [Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/nonfatal.html.
- Firearm-related hospitalization and risk for subsequent violent injury, death, or crime perpetration: a cohort study.Ann Intern Med. 2015; 162: 492-500
JBI Reviewer's Manual: Joanna Briggs Institute; 2019 [Available from: https://wiki.joannabriggs.org/display/MANUAL/Chapter+11%3A+Scoping+reviews.
Krug E, Dahlberg L, Mercy J, Zwi A, Lozano R. World report on violence and health. Geneva; 2002.
National Heart L, and blood institute study quality assessment tools 2020 [Available from: https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-topics/study-quality-assessment-tools.
- Assault by strangulation: sex differences in patient profile and subsequent readmissions.Can J Public Health. 2020; 111: 492-501
- Repeat assault injury among adolescents utilizing emergency care: a statewide longitudinal study.J Emerg Med. 2019; 57: 254-262
- Trauma recidivism and mortality following violent injuries in young adults.J Surg Res. 2019; 237: 140-147
- Violence against women: facial fractures secondary to assault in the urban female population.Am Surg. 2018; 84: e254-e2e6
- Recurrent violent injury: magnitude, risk factors, and opportunities for intervention from a statewide analysis.Am J Emerg Med. 2016; 34: 1823-1830
- Firearm violence among high-risk emergency department youth after an assault injury.Pediatrics. 2015; 135: 805-815
- Neighborhood socioeconomic status is associated with violent reinjury.J Surg Res. 2015; 199: 177-182
- Violent reinjury and mortality among youth seeking emergency department care for assault-related injury: a 2-year prospective cohort study.JAMA Pediatr. 2015; 169: 63-70
- Criminal behavior and repeat violent trauma: a case–control study.Am J Prevent Med. 2015; 49: 395-401
- The epidemiology of repeat contacts with an emergency department or an institute of forensic medicine due to violent victimization in a Danish urban population.J Forensic Leg Med. 2007; 14: 333-339
- Repeat victimization of victims of violence: a retrospective study from a hospital emergency department for the period 1971-1995.J Interpers Violence. 1999; 14: 79-90
- Emergency department patients with assault injuries: previous injury and assault convictions.Ann Emerg Med. 1997; 29: 770-775
- Epidemiology of violence in a Danish municipality. Changes in the incidence during the 1980s.Dan Med Bull. 1992; 39: 81-83
- Readmission and re-injury patterns in pediatric assault victims.Pediatr Surg Int. 2020; 36: 191-199
- Youth and young adult victims of interpersonal violence at LA county + USC Medical Center: a review of epidemiology and recidivism.Am Surg. 2019; 85: 1166-1170
- Interpersonal violence and violent re-injury in the Northern Territory.Aust J Rural Health. 2020; 28: 67-73
- Risk factors for nonelective 30-day readmission in pediatric assault victims.J Pediatr Surg. 2017; 52: 1628-1632
- Violent trauma recidivism: Does all violence escalate?.Eur J Trauma Emerg Surg. 2018; 44: 851-858
- Interpersonal violence hospitalisations for adolescents: a population-based study.J Paediatr Child Health. 2010; 46: 686-690
- A population study on indigenous hospitalisations for interpersonal violence.Aust Health Rev. 2010; 34: 123-126
- Injury recurrence among untreated and medically treated victims of violence in the USA.Soc Sci Med. 2005; 60: 627-635
- Repeat victims of violence: report of a large concurrent case-control study.Arch Surg. 2000; 135: 837-843
- Measurement of self-esteem in repeat assault victims.J Natl Med Assoc. 1998; 90: 171-175
- Repeat victims of violence in an urban trauma center.Violence Vict. 1995; 10: 183-194
- Trauma is a recurrent disease.Surgery. 1993; 113: 608-611
- The risk of reinjury in relation to time since first injury: a retrospective population-based study.J Trauma. 2006; 60: 379-384
- Recurrent intentional injury.J Natl Med Assoc. 1992; 84: 431-435
- A population-based study of repeat hospital admissions due to interpersonal violence for children aged 0-9 years.Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2009; 23: 239-244
- Preventing recurring injuries from violence: the risk of assault among Cleveland youth after hospitalization.Am J Public Health. 1996; 86: 1633-1636
- Risks, costs, and the expected complication of re-injury.Am J Surg. 1995; 170 (discussion 4): 660-663
- Hospitalisations due to interpersonal violence: a population-based study in Western Australia.Med J Aust. 2008; 188: 572-575
- Hospitalizations for injury in New Zealand: prior injury as a risk factor for assaultive injury.Am J Public Health. 1996; 86: 929-934
- Clinical features of heterosexual intimate partner violence victims with escalating injury severity.J Interpers Violence. 2021; 36: 8585-8605
World Health Organization. Global status report on violence prevention 2014. 2014.
- Shook ones: understanding the intersection of nonfatal violent firearm injury, incarceration, and traumatic stress among young black men.Am J Men's Health. 2020; 14 (1557988320982181)
- Self-reported violence-related outcomes for adolescents within eight weeks of emergency department treatment for assault injury.J Adolesc Health. 2011; 49: 440-442
- Youth violence secondary prevention initiatives in emergency departments: a systematic review.Cjem. 2009; 11: 161-168
- Hospital-based violence intervention: risk reduction resources that are essential for success.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2013; 74 (discussion 80-2): 976-980
- A case for risk stratification in survivors of firearm and interpersonal violence in the urban environment.West J Emerg Med. 2020; 21: 132-140
- A decade of hospital-based violence intervention: Benefits and shortcomings.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2016; 81: 1156-1161