- •Our study is the largest multi-ethnic Asian cohort evaluating the CPS in predicting trauma outcomes in the older population.
- •CPS is an independent predictor of mortality. Patients in the severe CPS category has 1.88-fold higher odds of death compared to those in the minor CPS category.
- •All CPS categories (moderate to morbid), when compared to the minor CPS group, are associated with increased odds for requiring rehabilitation or discharge to a long-term care facility after trauma.
- •CPS may be used as an adjunct to trauma severity scores to prognosticate and identify patients at higher risk of adverse outcomes.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
- Trends in aging–United States and worldwide.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2003; 52 (106): 101-104
- Population division UN. World Population Ageing 2020 Highlights.2020 (New York)
- Strategy Group PMO. Population in brief 2020.2020 (Singapore)
- The incidence of geriatric trauma is increasing and comparison of different scoring tools for the prediction of in-hospital mortality in geriatric trauma patients.World J Emerg Surg. 2020; 15: 59https://doi.org/10.1186/s13017-020-00340-1
- Trauma in the elderly patient.Arch Surg. 2003; 138: 1093-1098https://doi.org/10.1001/archsurg.138.10.1093
- Trauma in the older adult: epidemiology and evolving geriatric trauma principles.Clin Geriatr Med. 2013; 29: 137-150https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cger.2012.10.008
- Geriatric outcomes are improved by a geriatric trauma consultation service.J Trauma. 2006; 61: 1040-1046https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ta.0000238652.48008.59
Public Affairs Department, Singapore Police Force, Singapore. Annual Road Traffic Situation 2020. Available from: https://www.police.gov.sg/media-room/statistics. Last assessed 30 January 2022.
- Geriatric trauma: special needs for a special population.AACN Clin Issues. 2002; 13: 61-72https://doi.org/10.1097/00044067-200202000-00007
- Geriatric trauma: demographics, injuries, and mortality.J Orthop Trauma. 2012; 26: e161-e165https://doi.org/10.1097/BOT.0b013e3182324460
- Geriatric trauma: resource use and patient outcomes.Can J Surg. 2003; 46: 211-215
- Increased hospital morbidity among trauma patients with diabetes mellitus compared with age- and injury severity score-matched control subjects.Arch Surg. 2007; 142: 613-618https://doi.org/10.1001/archsurg.142.7.613
- When is an elder old? Effect of pre-existing conditions on mortality in geriatric trauma.J Trauma. 2002; 52: 242-246
- Older age, comorbid illnesses, and injury severity affect immediate outcome in elderly trauma patients.J Emerg Trauma Shock. 2017; 10: 146-150https://doi.org/10.4103/JETS.JETS_62_16
- Preinjury warfarin worsens outcome in elderly patients who fall from standing.J Trauma. 2009; 66: 1514-1518https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0b013e3181a59728
- Traumatic head injury in the anticoagulated elderly patient: a lethal combination.Am Surg. 2001; 67: 1098-1100
- Preinjury beta blockers are associated with increased mortality in geriatric trauma patients.J Trauma. 2008; 65: 1016-1020https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0b013e3181897eac
- Pre-injury polypharmacy as a predictor of outcomes in trauma patients.Int J Crit Illn Inj Sci. 2011; 1: 104-109
- Comorbidity-polypharmacy score: a novel adjunct in post-emergency department trauma triage.J Surg Res. 2013; 181: 16-19https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2012.05.042
- Comorbidity polypharmacy score and its clinical utility: a pragmatic practitioner's perspective.J Emerg Trauma Shock. 2015; 8: 224-231https://doi.org/10.4103/0974-2700.161658
- Comorbidity-polypharmacy scoring facilitates outcome prediction in older trauma patients.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2012; 60: 1465-1470https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2012.04075.x
- Road crashes in older persons and the use of comorbidity polypharmacy score in an Asian population.Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2017; 46: 185-194
- Gender and race/ethnicity differences in hip fracture incidence, morbidity, mortality, and function.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2011; 469: 1913-1918https://doi.org/10.1007/s11999-010-1736-3
- Race/ethnicity and outcome after traumatic brain injury at a single, diverse center.J Trauma Inj Infect Crit Care. 2009; 67: 75-80https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0b013e31818234e8
- Race affects mortality after moderate to severe traumatic brain injury.J Surg Res. 2010; 163: 303-308https://doi.org/10.1016/J.JSS.2010.03.018
- Comorbidity-polypharmacy score as predictor of outcomes in older trauma patients: a retrospective validation study.World J Surg. 2015; 39: 2068-2075
- Comparison of two comorbidity scoring systems for older adults with traumatic injuries.J Am Coll Surg. 2014; 219: 631-637
- Comorbidity-polypharmacy scoring facilitates outcome prediction in older trauma patients.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2012; 60: 1465-1470
- Comorbidity-polypharmacy score predicts in-hospital complications and the need for discharge to extended care facility in older burn patients.J Burn Care Res. 2015; 36: 193-196
- Defining geriatric trauma: when does age make a difference?.Surgery. 2012; 152: 665-668https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2012.08.017
- Identification of an age cutoff for increased mortality in patients with elderly trauma.Am J Emerg Med. 2010; 28: 151-158https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajem.2008.10.027
- Predictors of mortality in geriatric trauma patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2014; 76: 894-901https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0b013e3182ab0763
- Superiority of frailty over age in predicting outcomes among geriatric trauma patients: a prospective analysis.JAMA Surg. 2014; 149: 766-772https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2014.296
- How to best forecast adverse outcomes following geriatric trauma: an ageless question?.JAMA Surg. 2014; 149: 773https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2014.304
Wong T.H., Nguyen H.V., Chiu M.T., Chow K.Y., Eng M., Ong H., et al. The low fall as a surrogate marker of frailty predicts long-term mortality in older trauma patients. PLoS One. 2015 Sep 1;10(9):e0137127. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0137127.
- The effects of clopidogrel on elderly traumatic brain injured patients.J Trauma Inj Infect Crit Care. 2008; 65: 1303-1308https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0b013e318185e234
- Traumatic brain injury in the elderly: is it as bad as we think?.Curr Transl Geriatr Exp Gerontol Rep. 2012; 1: 171-178https://doi.org/10.1007/s13670-012-0017-2
- Home visits by an occupational therapist for assessment and modification of environmental hazards: a randomized trial of falls prevention.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1999; 47: 1397-1402https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.1999.tb01556.x
- Not all falls are equal: risk factors for unplanned readmission in older patients after moderate and severe injury—a national cohort study.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2019; 20 (e3): 201-207https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamda.2018.08.006
- Frailty and length of stay in older adults with blunt injury in a national multicentre prospective cohort study.PLoS ONE. 2021; 16: 1-10https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0250803
- Multi-system physical exercise intervention for fall prevention and quality of life in pre-frail older adults: a randomized controlled trial.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020; 17https://doi.org/10.3390/IJERPH17093102
- What are the most effective interventions to improve physical performance in pre-frail and frail adults? A systematic review of randomised control trials.BMC Geriatr. 2019; 19: 1-11https://doi.org/10.1186/s12877-019-1196-x
- Singapore Department of Statistics PMO.Population in Brief, Singapore2015: 2015