- •Despite the abundance of literature on the dangers of ATVs to children, there is still a large number of ATV related open fractures at our institution.
- •ATV related open fractures were associated with significantly higher rates of severe fracture types, Gustilo-Anderson II and III.
- •Malunion, revision, and reoperation were more common in open fractures secondary to ATV accidents.
- •The rate of infection in ATV and non-ATV related open fractures did not differ significantly.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Pediatric all-terrain vehicle (ATV) injuries: an epidemic of cost and grief.Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc. 2017; 51 (Oct): 416-419
- Vehicle injury prevention: two-, three-, and four-wheeled unlicensed motor vehicles.Pediatrics. 2000; 105: 1352-1354
American Academy of Orthopaedic SurgeonsⓇ, October 1987. Revised June 2005, September 2010 and September 2015.
- Emergency department visits and inpatient hospital stays for all-terrain-vehicle-related injuries.Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP) Statistical Briefs, Rockville (MD)2009 (2009: statistical brief #130)
2015 Annual Report of ATV-Related Deaths and Injuries. Bethesda, MD: United States Consumer Product Safety Commission; 2017.
- Prevention of all-terrain vehicle injuries: a systematic review from The Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2018; 84 (Jun): 1017-1026
- All-terrain vehicle and bicycle crashes in children: epidemiology and comparison of injury severity.J Pediatr Surg. 2002; 37 (Mar): 375-380
- Recreational all-terrain vehicle injuries among children: an 11-year review of a Central Kentucky level I pediatric trauma center database.J Pediatr Orthop. 2007; 27 (Dec): 851-855
- Pediatric orthopaedic trauma and associated injuries of snowmobile, ATV, and dirtbike accidents: a 19-year experience at a level 1 pediatric trauma center.J Pediatr Orthop. 2018; 38 (Sep): 403-409
- An assessment of pediatric all-terrain vehicle injuries.Pediatr Emerg Care. 2006; 22 (Jul): 491-494
- Management of pediatric tibial shaft fractures.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2019; 27 (Oct 15): 769-778
- Orthopaedic injuries in children associated with the use of off-road vehicles.J Bone Jt Surg Am. 1988; 70 (Feb): 275-284
- The epidemiology of injury in ATV and motocross sports.Med Sport Sci. 2012; 58: 158-172
- No license required: severe pediatric motorbike-related injuries in Ohio.Pediatrics. 2005; 115 (Mar): 704-709
- Orthopedic trauma from recreational all-terrain vehicle use in central Kentucky: a 6-year review.J Trauma. 2007; 62 (May): 1163-1170
- All-terrain vehicle use related fracture rates, patterns, and associations from 2002 to 2015 in the USA.Injury. 2019; 50 (Feb): 324-331
- Pediatric ATV Injuries in a statewide sample: 2004 to 2014.Pediatrics. 2017; 140 (Aug): e20170945https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2017-0945
- All-terrain vehicle injuries in children.J Pediatr Orthop. 2007; 27 (Oct-Nov): 725-728
- Prevention of infection in the treatment of one thousand and twenty-five open fractures of long bones: retrospective and prospective analyses.J Bone Jt Surg Am. 1976; 58 (Jun): 453-458
- Management of open fractures and subsequent complications.J Bone Jt Surg Am. 2007; 89 (Apr): 884-895
- Optimizing management of open fractures in children.Indian J Orthop. 2018; 52 (Sep-Oct): 470-480
- Management of severe open tibial fractures: the need for combined orthopaedic and plastic surgical treatment in specialist centres.J Bone Jt Surg Br. 2006; 88 (Mar): 351-357
- The reliability of angular measurements in hallux valgus deformities.Foot Ankle Int. 2001; 22 (May): 369-379