- •The number of gunshot wound related hospitalizations in Israel more than doubled over the past decade.
- •Gunshot related hospitalization were disproportionally more prevalent among Arab males, fivefold more than Jewish males.
- •No significant differences between Jews and Arabs were reported regarding in-hospital mortality.
- •The findings should alert policymakers of this urgent problem, and the immediate necessity in implementing focused interventions.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
- State-specific, racial and ethnic heterogeneity in trends of firearm-related fatality rates in the USA from 2000 to 2010.BMJ Open. 2014; 4e005628https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2014-005628
- Gun ownership and social gun culture.Inj Prev. 2016; 22: 216-220https://doi.org/10.1136/injuryprev-2015-041586
- Underlying cause of death 1999–2019.CDC WONDER online database, 2020
- Nonfatal firearm injuries by intent in the United States: 2016-2018 hospital discharge records from the healthcare cost and utilization project.West J Emerg Med. 2021; 22: 462-470https://doi.org/10.5811/westjem.2021.3.51925
- Shooting up? Analysis of 182 gunshot injuries presenting to a London major trauma centre over a seven-year period.Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2018; 100: 464-474https://doi.org/10.1308/rcsann.2018.0037
- Outcomes and costs of penetrating trauma injury in England and Wales.Injury. 2008; 39: 1013-1025https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2008.01.012
- A review of 187 gunshot wound admissions to a teaching hospital over a 54-month period: training and service implications.Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2004; 86: 104-107https://doi.org/10.1308/003588404322827482
- Surveillance for fatal and nonfatal injuries–United States, 2001.MMWR Surveill Summ. 2004; 53: 1-57
Ministry of Public Security. Firearm licensing department. firearm licensing in Israel. 2019. https://www.gov.il/en/Departments/General/firearm-licensing-information. (Accessed July 18, 2022).
GunPolicy.org. Estimated number of illicit firearms and of privately owned firearms - Israel. 2016. https://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/citation/quotes/13233
Alper M., Glaze L. Source and use of firearms involved in crimes: survey of prison inmates, 2016. 2019. https://www.ojp.gov/library/publications/source-and-use-firearms-involved-crimes-survey-prison-inmates-2016
- Israeli Arab terror fueled by availability of weapons.Globes. 2022; (31 Mar) (Accessed 20 July 2022)
- Gunshot and explosion injuries: characteristics, outcomes, and implications for care of terror-related injuries in Israel.Ann Surg. 2004; 239: 311-318https://doi.org/10.1097/01.sla.0000114012.84732.be
- Israeli Trauma G. Penetrating and orthopaedic trauma from blast versus gunshots caused by terrorism: israel's national experience.J Orthop Trauma. 2011; 25
- Minorities and foreign born are disproportionately affected by injuries due to violence: an analysis based on a National Trauma Registry 2008–2017.Isr J Health Policy Res. 2019; 8: 29https://doi.org/10.1186/s13584-019-0297-5
- Treating civilian gunshot wounds to the extremities in a level 1 trauma center: our experience and recommendations.Israel Med Assoc J. 2009; 11: 546-551
- Population of Israel on the Eve of 2021.Central Bureau Stat. 2020;
- The impact of neighborhood socioeconomic disparities on injury.Int J Public Health. 2018; 63: 855-863https://doi.org/10.1007/s00038-018-1119-1
- Health in Israel 3: inequalities in non-communicable diseases between the major population groups in Israel: achievements and challenges.Lancet. 2017; 389: 2531-2541
- Health inequalities in Israel: explanatory factors of socio-economic inequalities in self-rated health and limiting longstanding illness.Health Place. 2010; 16: 241-252
Horev T. and Averbuch E., Coping with Health Inequalities: a roadmap for developing a national plan The Israeli Experience. Ministry of Health and the Department of Health Economics and Insurance. April 2012.
- Health inequality and coping with it.Ministry of Health, Jerusalem2010 (Hebrew)
- Health and health care in Israel: an introduction.Lancet. 2017; 389 (-06-24): 2503-2513
Plotnik R., Keidar N. State Health Insurange Law following 20 years of its application: a file of statistical data 1995-2014. (Hebrew) MoH, 2015. https://www.health.gov.il/PublicationsFiles/HealthInsuranceLaw_20Years.pdf.
Magen David Adom. 2022. https://www.mdais.org/en/about/mda-stations. (Accessed 20 July 2020).
- The injury severity score: a method for describing patients with multiple injuries and evaluating emergency care.J Trauma. 1974; 14: 187-196
- ISS groups: are we speaking the same language?.Inj Prev. 2014; 20: 330-335https://doi.org/10.1136/injuryprev-2013-041042
- The major trauma outcome study: establishing national norms for trauma care.J Trauma. 1990; 30: 1356-1365
- Ethnicity and road traffic injuries: differences between Jewish and Arab children in Israel.Ethn Health. 2013; 18: 391-401https://doi.org/10.1080/13557858.2012.754405
- Motorcycle-related head and neck injuries: increased risk among ethnic minorities.Isr J Health Policy Res. 2020; 9: 75https://doi.org/10.1186/s13584-020-00428-8
- Violence-related injury of children in Israel: age-dependent pattern.Bull World Health Organ. 2009; 87: 362-368https://doi.org/10.2471/blt.08.057497
- The surfacing portion of the iceberg of the domestic violence phenomenon-data from the Israeli National Trauma Registry.Isr J Health Policy Res. 2021; 10: 69https://doi.org/10.1186/s13584-021-00499-1
- A geographic information system simulation model of EMS: reducing ambulance response time.Am J Emerg Med. 2004; 22: 164-170https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajem.2004.02.003
- The contribution of the Israeli trauma system to the survival of road traffic casualties.Traffic Inj Prev. 2015; 16: 368-373https://doi.org/10.1080/15389588.2014.940458
- Israel's other epidemic: violence in Arab community threatens entire country.Haaretz. 2021;
- The rate of murder victims in the Arab sector is fivefold the rate in the Jewish sector.Knesset. 2018;
- Ultrasound and supine chest radiograph in road traffic accident patients: a reliable and convenient way to diagnose pleural effusion.J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad. 2017; 29: 587-590
- Evaluation of injuries caused by penetrating chest traumas in patients referred to the emergency room.Indian J Surg. 2015; 77: 191-194https://doi.org/10.1007/s12262-012-0757-4
- Management of chest trauma.J Thorac Dis. 2017; 9: S172-S1S7https://doi.org/10.21037/jtd.2017.03.52
- Evaluating the violence prevention program: group and individual changes in aggression, anger, self-control, and empathy.J Forens Psychiatry Psychol. 2018; 29: 265-287https://doi.org/10.1080/14789949.2017.1375541
- Development of the safety score: a clinical screening tool for rpedicting future firearm violence risk.Ann Intern Med. 2017; 166: 707-714https://doi.org/10.7326/M16-1927
- Prevention of firearm violence through specific types of community-based programming: an eastern association for the surgery of trauma evidence-based review.Ann Surg. 2021; 274: 298-305