- •Camel-related vascular injuries may have a poor clinical outcome due to the complexity of the biomechanism of injury.
- •Although the skin injuries of camel bites are small, the long canine teeth of a camel can penetrate deeply.
- •The elongated jaws of the camel having strong masseter muscles increases the strength of the bite grip of the canine teeth.
- •The carotid is the most common injured artery because the camel can have a strong grip on the thin regions of its victims like the neck.
- •Neck wounds of camel bites can be closed primarily after debridement.
Abbreviations:ATLS (advanced trauma life support), CT (computer tomography), ICU (intensive care unit), PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene), UAE (United Arab Emirates)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Introduction to camel origin, history, raising, characteristics, and wool, hair and skin: a review.Res J Agric Environ Manag. 2015; 4: 496-508
- The camel today: assets and potentials.Anthropozoologica. 2014; 49 (Available at10.5252/az2014n2a01 [Accessed 28 May 2021]): 15-24
- Epidemiology of animal-related injuries in a high-income developing country.Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Derg. 2015; 21: 134-138
- Camel-related injuries: prospective study of 212 patients.World J Surg. 2012; 36: 2384-2389
- A camel bite breaking the neck and causing brain infarction.J Trauma. 2007; 63: 1423
- Common carotid artery injury caused by a came bite: case report and systematic review of the literature.Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Derg. 2014; 20: 59-62
- An unusual, life-threatening camel bite to the abdomen of a young man.Surgery. 2017; 162: 466-467
- The nature and consequences of camel- related injuries: a scoping review with special reference to Arab Middle Eastern countries.Injury. 2022; 53: 1319-1328
Youtube. Camel bite. Available on: https://www.youtube.com/results ?search_query=camel±bite (Accessed 22nd June 2022).
G. Malam, Camel bite man head. Available on: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/-PWCgyu-eCQ (Accessed 22nd June 2022).
S. Zai. Camel bite. Available on: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/SF455PU1Ruw (Accessed 22nd June 2022).
Brain child. Camel bite girl leg. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/UbRBmaUMjjw (Accessed 22nd June 2022).
- Trauma system developments reduce mortality in hospitalized trauma patients in Al-Ain City, United Arab Emirates, despite increased severity of injury.World J Emerg Surg. 2020; 15 (Aug 18): 49
- Motor vehicle collisions with large animals.Saudi Med J. 2006; 27 (Aug): 1116-1120
- Prevention of child camel jockey injuries: a success story from the United Arab Emirates.Clin J Sport Med. 2012; 22 (Nov): 467-471
- Vascular injuries following road traffic collisions in a high-income developing country: a prospective cohort study.World J Emerg Surg. 2010; 5: 13
- Management of war-related vascular injuries: experience from the second gulf war.World J Emerg Surg. 2013; 8: 22
- Delayed thrombectomy firing the last shoot.Indian J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2021; 8 (Suppl S1): 83-85
- Carotid occlusion and cerebral infarction from camel bite: case report.East Afr Med J. 2007; 84: 550-552
- Camel bite injury: an unusual report of left shoulder mutilation with major vascular and bony injuries.Injury. 1993; 24: 686-688
- Brachial artery injury caused by camel bite.Indian J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2015; 2: 33-34
- Femoral artery dissection and ileum perforation caused by a camel bite: a case report.Case Rep Int. 2019; 8 (100057Z06HS2019)
- Camel bites – a unique experience.Occup Med Health Aff. 2015; 3: 1
- Peripheral vacular trauma: a limb may be saved.J Evol Med Dent Sci. 2018; 14: 1732-1736
- Age estimation of camel in Nigeria using rostral dentition.Sci J Anim Sci. 2013; 2: 9-14
- Anatomy of the dromedary. 2nd ed. Oxford University Press, New York1987: 3-9
- Camel bites: a case study with a summary of current epidemiology, injury patterns, and treatment modalities.Wilderness Environ Med. 2018; 29: 380-382
- Camel bite injuries in United Arab Emirates: a 6 year prospective study.Injury. 2012; 43: 1617-1620
- Reproduction in camel.Vet World. 2009; 2: 72-73
- Camel bite: an uncommon mode of maxillofacial injury, its mechanism and fatality: case series and review of literature.Natl J Maxillofac Surg. 2015; 6: 172-175
- Camel bite associated with depressed skull fracture with rapidly spreading subgaleal cellulitis.Case Rep Infect Dis. 2020; 20208393059
- Phlegmon of the foot as a camel bite complication.Pol Przegl Chir. 2015; 86: 486-489
- Bacteriology and clinical course of camel-bite wound infections.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 1999; 18: 918-919
- Rabies in Saudi Arabia: a need for epidemiological data.Int J Infect Dis. 2015; 34: 99-101
- Primary closure of mammalian bites.Acad Emerg Med. 2000; 7 (Feb): 157-161
- Primary closure versus delayed or no closure for traumatic wounds due to mammalian bite.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2019; 12CD011822
- What's new in emergencies, trauma and shock? Mapping and managing missile injuries.J Emerg Trauma Shock. 2011; 4: 159-160
- Profile of missile-induced cardiovascular injuries in Kashmir, India.J Emerg Trauma Shock. 2011; 4: 173-177
- Multiple-region scapular fractures had more severe chest injury than single-region fractures: a prospective study of 107 blunt trauma patients.J Trauma. 2007; 63: 889-893
- Crossroad between camel bites and crocodile bites.Afr Health Sci. 2015; 15 (i–iv)
- Occupational injury in the United Arab Emirates: epidemiology and prevention.Occup Med. 2009; 59 (Lond): 493-498
- Epidemiology of isolated hand injuries in the United Arab Emirates.World J Orthop. 2016; 7 (Sep 18): 570-576
- Personal protective eyewear usage among industrial workers in small-scale enterprises.Inj Epidemiol. 2020; 7: 54
CrocBITE: Worldwide crocodilian attack database. http://www.crocodile-attack.info/ (Accessed 19th December 2021).