- •The association of antithrombic agents with mortality among blunt torso trauma patients without severe traumatic brain injury remains unclear.
- •The use of pre-injury antithrombotic agents was not associated with higher mortality among patients without severe head trauma.
- •The use of pre-injury antithrombotic agents was not associated with higher rate of transfusion, surgery or increased complications.
- •Prompt intervention to prevent progressive coagulopathy and careful management are needed for patients taking antithrombotic agents.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Prevalence and implications of preinjury warfarin use: an analysis of the national trauma databank.Arch Surg. 2011; 146: 565-570
- The impact of antiplatelet drugs on trauma outcomes.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2012; 73: 492-497
- The epidemic of pre-injury oral antiplatelet and anticoagulant use.Eur J Trauma Emerg Surg. 2014; 40: 657-669
- Impact of hemorrhage on trauma outcome: an overview of epidemiology, clinical presentations, and therapeutic considerations.J Trauma. 2006; 60 (Supplement): S3-11
- Direct oral anticoagulants compared with warfarin in patients with severe blunt trauma.Injury. 2017; 48: 47-50
- Andexanet alfa or prothrombin complex concentrate for factor Xa inhibitor reversal in acute major bleeding: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Crit Care Med. 2021; 49 (Oct 1): e1025-e1036
- Advanced age and preinjury warfarin anticoagulation increase the risk of mortality after head trauma.J Trauma. 2006; 61: 107-110
- Anticoagulation and the elderly head trauma patient.Am Surg. 2008; 74: 802-805
- A meta-analysis to determine the effect of preinjury antiplatelet agents on mortality in patients with blunt head trauma.Br J Neurosurg. 2013; 27: 12-18
- Prognostic significance of preinjury anticoagulation in patients with traumatic brain injury: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2021; 90: 191-201
- Mortality among head trauma patients taking preinjury antithrombotic agents: a retrospective cohort analysis from a Level 1 trauma centre.BMC Emerg Med. 2016; 16: 29
- A meta-analysis to determine the effect of anticoagulation on mortality in patients with blunt head trauma.Br J Neurosurg. 2012; 26: 525-530
- Impact of anticoagulation and antiplatelet drugs on surgery rates and mortality in trauma patients.Sci Rep. 2021; 11(1): 15172
- Association of mortality among trauma patients taking preinjury direct oral anticoagulants versus vitamin K antagonists.Surgery. 2019; 166 (Oct): 564-571
- Comparison of direct oral anticoagulant and vitamin K antagonists on outcomes among elderly and nonelderly trauma patients.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2020; 89: 514-522
- Effect of pre-injury anticoagulant and antiplatelet agents on blood loss in elderly patients with severe trauma.Acute Med Surg. 2016; 3: 114-119
- Impact of anticoagulant and antiplatelet use on outcomes in blunt chest injury.Am Surg. 2019; 85: 871-876
- Antiplatelet and anticoagulation therapies do not increase mortality in the absence of traumatic brain injury.J Trauma Inj Infect Crit Care. 2010; 68: 560-563
Core, JT. Japan trauma data bank. https://www.jtcr-jatec.org/traumabank/index.htm.
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation.J Chronic Dis. 1987; 40: 373-383
- Effects of tranexamic acid on death, vascular occlusive events, and blood transfusion in trauma patients with significant haemorrhage (CRASH-2): a randomised, placebo-controlled trial.Lancet. 2010; 376: 23-32
- Impact of comorbidities on the prognoses of trauma patients: analysis of a hospital-based trauma registry database.PLoS ONE. 2018; 13e0194749
- Risk factors that predict mortality in patients with blunt chest wall trauma: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Injury. 2012; 43: 8-17
- A review of guidelines on anticoagulation reversal across different clinical scenarios - is there a general consensus?.Am J Emerg Med. 2020; 38: 1890-1903
- Antiplatelet therapy is associated with decreased transfusion-associated risk of lung dysfunction, multiple organ failure, and mortality in trauma patients.Crit Care Med. 2013; 41: 399-404