- •We evaluated progress of the United Nations decade of action for road safety 2011–2020 using data from three Global Status Reports on road safety.
- •Death rates from road traffic injuries increased in many low-income countries, especially the ones in the African region over the last decade.
- •Countries were slow to adopt the policies and interventions recommended for reducing road traffic injuries.
- •We call for renewed attention to proven interventions that prevent road traffic injuries during the second decade of action for road safety.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Global status report on road safety 2018. Geneva.World Health Organization, 2018
- Global health estimates 2016: deaths by cause, age, sex, by country and by region, 2000-2016. Geneva.World Health Organization, 2018
- Global plan for the decade of action for road safety 2011-2020. Geneva.World Health Organization, 2011: 25
- UN General Assembly calls for decade of action for road safety.Inj Prev. 2010; 16: 213
- Decade of Action for Road Safety 2011-2020.Injury. 2012; 43: 6-7
United Nations General Assembly. Resolution adopted by the General Assembly on 31 August 2020. A/RES/74/299. Geneva: United Nations; 2020.
- Global status report on road safety: TIme for action. geneva.World Health Organization, 2009
- Monitoring the Decade of Action for Global Road Safety 2011-2020: an update.Glob Public Health. 2017; 12: 1492-1505
- Looking back on 10 years of global road safety.Int Health. 2019; 11: 327-330
- Global status report on road safety – 2013: supporting a decade of action. Geneva.World Health Organization, 2013
- Global status report on road safety 2015. Geneva.World Health Organization, 2015
- World development indicators database.2021 (Washington, DCWorld Bank)
- Alphabetical list of who member states.World Health Organization, 2020
- Handbook of biological statistics.3rd ed. Sparky House Publishing, Baltimore, MD2014
- Statistics corner: a guide to appropriate use of correlation coefficient in medical research.Malawi Med J. 2012; 24: 69-71
- Correlation Coefficients: appropriate Use and Interpretation.Anesth Analg. 2018; 126 (May): 1763-1768
- Applied statistics for the behavioral sciences. Boston, MA.Houghton Mifflin College Division. 2003;
- Stata. college station, TX: statacorp lp.2019
- Mid-term assessment of the decade of action for road safety: progress made, yet at a slow rate.Indian J Crit Care Med. 2016; 20: 312-313
- Analysis of Road Traffic Fatality Data for Asia.J Eastern Asia Soc Transp Stud. 2011; 9: 1786-1795
- Asian Solutions to Asia's Urban Challenges.The Asia foundation. 2017
- Road traffic injuries fact sheet.World Health Organization, 2020
- Global motorization, social ecology and China.Area. 2007; 39: 66-73
- Save LIVES: a road safety technical package. Geneva.World Health Organization, 2017
- World report on road traffic injury prevention. Geneva.World Health Organization, 2004
- Saving lives through road safety risk factor interventions: global and national estimates.Lancet. 2022;
- The Effects of Vehicle Redesign on the Risk of Driver Death.Traffic Inj Prev. 2015; 16: 684-690
- Lives saved by vehicle safety technologies and associated federal motor vehicle safety standards, 1960 to 2012–Passenger cars and LTVs–With reviews of 26 fmvss and the effectiveness of their associated safety technologies in reducing fatalities, injuries, and crashes (Report no. dot hs 812 069).National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Washington, DC2015: 069
- Effects of vehicle safety design on road traffic deaths, injuries, and public health burden in the Latin American region: a modelling study.Lancet Glob Health. 2020; 8: e819-ee28
Henry J.A., Reingold A.L. 2022 Prehospital trauma systems reduce mortality in developing countries: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Impact of changes in transportation and commuting behaviors during the 1996 Summer Olympic Games in Atlanta on air quality and childhood asthma.JAMA. 2001; 285: 897-905
- Effect of physical inactivity on major non-communicable diseases worldwide: an analysis of burden of disease and life expectancy.Lancet. 2012; 380: 219-229