- •There is currently very limited data in the present literature, which assesses the effects of heatwave temperatures on fracture patient presentation to hospital.
- •Our study design allowed for a robust assessment of the effects of heatwave temperatures on fracture patient presentation to hospital, in our hospital catchment population and in our Major Trauma Network population.
- •Temperature and humidity data were included in our study, allowing both to be assessed, in terms of their influence on fracture patient presentation to hospital.
- •Our findings showed that heatwave temperatures resulted in a significantly increased number of orthopaedic polytrauma patients presenting to a Major Trauma Centre.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
UN-Climate-Change-Conference-UK-2021. COP26 Explained. 2021.
- Urban heat: an increasing threat to global health.BMJ. 2021; 375: n2467
- Health risks of extreme heat.BMJ. 2021; 375: n2438
What is a heatwave? - Met Office [Available from: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/learn-about/weather/types-of-weather/temperature/heatwave.
accuweather.com - Glasgow - July 2021 [Available from: https://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/glasgow/g3-8/july-weather/328226?year=2021.
- Pattern and determinants of hospitalization during heat waves: an ecologic study.BMC Public Health. 2007; 7: 200
- Ambient heat and risks of emergency department visits among adults in the United States: time stratified case crossover study.BMJ. 2021; 375e065653
- Heat wave causes hundreds of deaths and hospitalisations in Pacific north west.BMJ. 2021; 374: n1696
- Severe weather warnings predict fracture epidemics.Injury. 2011; 42: 687-690
- Vancouver winters: environmental influences on inpatient adult orthopaedic trauma demographics.J Pak Med Assoc. 2014; 64: 549-552
- Seasonality of adult fragility fractures and association with weather: 12-year experience of a UK fracture liaison service.Bone. 2021; 147115916
- What is the effect of the weather on trauma workload? A systematic review of the literature.Injury. 2015; 46: 945-953
- FROST: factors predicting orthopaedic trauma volumes.Injury. 2021; 52: 2871-2878
- The effect of mean annual temperature on the incidence of distal radial fractures.J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2018; 43: 983-987
- Correlating weather and trauma admissions at a level I trauma center.J Trauma. 2006; 60: 1096-1100
- The effect of season and weather on orthopaedic trauma: consult volume is significantly correlated with daily weather.Adv Orthop. 2018; 20186057357
- Seasonal variation in orthopedic trauma patients-an experience from central India.J Clin Orthop Trauma. 2018; 9 (Suppl-S3): S40
- A population-based study of seasonal variation in children's fractures.Dan Med J. 2021; 68
- Population-based research on the relationship between summer weather and paediatric forearm shaft fractures.Injury. 2013; 44: 1569-1573
- Trends in the seasonal variation of paediatric fractures.J Child Orthop. 2018; 12: 614-621
- A year's trauma admissions and the effect of the weather.Injury. 2005; 36: 40-46
- The quest for a universal definition of polytrauma: a trauma registry-based validation study.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2014; 77: 620-623
postal-codes.cybo.com - G43 Postcode [Available from: https://postal-codes.cybo.com/united-kingdom/G43/.
Scottish-Trauma-Network-West:-West-of-Scotland-Regional-Planning. 2020 mid-year population estimates. 2020.
Scottish Trauma Network - West of scotland [Available from: https://www.scottishtraumanetwork.com/regions/west-of-scotland/.
timeanddate.com - Weather - glasgow - May 2021 [Available from: https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/uk/glasgow/historic?month=5&year=2021.
Canadian Humidex Calculator [Available from: http://www.csgnetwork.com/canhumidexcalc.html.
- Quantifying the healthcare costs of treating severely bleeding major trauma patients: a national study for England.Crit Care. 2015; 19: 276
- Population mobility and adult orthopaedic trauma services during the COVID-19 pandemic: fragility fracture provision remains a priority.Bone Jt Open. 2020; 1: 182-189
- Effects of the COVID-19 lockdown on orthopaedic trauma: a multicentre study across Scotland.Bone Jt Open. 2020; 1: 541-548
- Polytrauma defined by the new berlin definition: a validation test based on propensity-score matching approach.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017; 14