- •Trauma patients are at an elevated risk of developing acute stress disorder and trauma patients discharged prior to 72 h often are not screened.
- •Our study found a significant number of trauma patients discharged in 72 h or less developed acute stress disorder following discharge.
- •Despite injuries requiring shorter hospitalizations, our data supports the reassessment of trauma patients following hospital discharge.
- •Widely accessible pathways need to be developed to increased patient access to mental health resources.
Materials and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Post-traumatic stress disorder and acute stress disorder I: their nature and assessment considerations.Psychiatry (Edgmont). 2005; 2: 14-25
Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders: DSM-5. 5th ed., American Psychiatric Association, 2013. DSM-V
- The Current Evidence for Acute Stress Disorder.Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2018; 20 (Published 2018 October 13): 111
- Risk factors for DSM-5 posttraumatic stress symptoms (PTSS) among Israeli civilians during the 2014 Israel-Hamas war.Psychol Trauma. 2016; 8: 49-54
- A comparison of the capacity of DSM-IV and DSM-5 acute stress disorder definitions to predict posttraumatic stress disorder and related disorders.J Clin Psychiatry. 2015; 76: 391-397
- The course, prediction, and treatment of acute and posttraumatic stress in trauma patients: a systematic review.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2017; 82: 1158-1183
- Treatment of acute stress disorder: a comparison of cognitive-behavioral therapy and supportive counseling.J Consult Clin Psychol. 1998; 66: 862-866
- A randomized controlled trial of cognitive therapy, a self-help booklet, and repeated assessments as early interventions for posttraumatic stress disorder.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2003; 60: 1024-1032
- A randomized controlled trial of the effectiveness of brief-CBT for patients with symptoms of posttraumatic stress following a motor vehicle crash.Behav Cogn Psychother. 2014; 42: 31-47
- Acute Stress Disorder Scale: a self-report measure of acute stress disorder.Psychol Assess. 2000; 12: 61-68
- The epidemiology of traumatic event exposure worldwide: results from the World Mental Health Survey Consortium.Psychol Med. 2016; 46: 327-343
- Association of DSM-IV Posttraumatic Stress Disorder With Traumatic Experience Type and History in the World Health Organization World Mental Health Surveys [published correction appears in JAMA Psychiatry. 2017 Jul 1;74(7):764].JAMA Psychiatry. 2017; 74: 270-281
- Post-traumatic stress disorder following disasters: a systematic review.Psychol Med. 2008; 38: 467-480
- Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis on Acute Stress Disorder: rates Following Different Types of Traumatic Events [published online ahead of print, 2020 Jun 26].Trauma Violence Abuse. 2020; (1524838020933844)
- Acute Stress Disorder.StatPearls. Treasure Island. 2021; (FL): StatPearls Publishing; July 17
- Prevalence of post-traumatic stress disorder, acute stress disorder and depression following violence related injury treated at the emergency department: a systematic review.BMC Psychiatry. 2018; 18 (Published 2018 Sep 25): 311
- A review of acute stress disorder in DSM-5.Depress Anxiety. 2011; 28: 802-817
- Posttraumatic disorders following injury: an empirical and methodological review.Clin Psychol Rev. 2003; 23: 587-603
- Prevalence of acute stress disorder among road traffic accident survivors: a meta-analysis.BMC Psychiatry. 2018; 18 (Jun 13): 188
- Acute stress disorder and the transition to posttraumatic stress disorder in children and adolescents: prevalence, course, prognosis, diagnostic suitability, and risk markers.Depress Anxiety. 2017; 34 (Apr): 348-355
- Postpartum posttraumatic and acute stress in mothers and fathers of infants with very low birth weight: cross-sectional results from a controlled multicenter cohort study.J Affect Disord. 2018; 235 (Aug 01): 467-473
- Rates of post-traumatic stress disorder in trauma-exposed children and adolescents: meta-analysis.Br J Psychiatry. 2014; 204: 335-340
- The lifetime prevalence of traumatic events and posttraumatic stress disorder in the Netherlands.J Trauma Stress. 2009; 22: 259-267
- Screening of Acute Traumatic Stress Disorder and Posttraumatic Stress Disorder in Pediatric Trauma Patients: a Pilot Study.J Trauma Nurs. 2021; 28: 235-242
- Posttraumatic stress disorder: the burden to the individual and to society.J Clin Psychiatry. 2000; 61 (Suppl 5): 4-14
- Trauma, comorbidity, and mortality following diagnoses of severe stress and adjustment disorders: a nationwide cohort study.Am J Epidemiol. 2015; 182: 451-458