- •Penetrating trauma has increased in the UK.
- •Violence reduction initiatives are increasingly used to target penetrating trauma.
- •Key demographic information about who is involved, where and when, can help to target violence reduction initiatives.
- •This study demonstrated that the use of a national trauma registry can provide key information with which to target VR initiatives.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
UNODC. Global study on homicide 2019 [Internet] Vienna; 2019. [Cited 14 Jan 2022]. Available from: https://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/data-and-analysis/global-study-on-homicide.html
- Global, regional, and national age-sex-specific mortality for 282 causes of death in 195 countries and territories, 1980-2017: a systematic analysis for the global burden of disease study 2017.Lancet. 2018; 392: 1736-1788
Krug E, Dahlberg L, Mercy J, Zwi A and Lozano R. World report on violence and health [Internet] Geneva; 2002 [Cited 14 Jan 2022]. Available from: https://www.who.int/violence_injury_prevention/violence/world_report/en/introduction.pdf?ua=1
- Chapter 5: interpersonal violence: global impact and paths to prevention.(editors)Injury Prevention and Environmental Health. 3rd Ed. World Bank, Washington, DC2017
- Epidemiology of major trauma.Br J Surg. 2009; 96: 697-698
Greater London Authority. A report on the London Violence Reduction Unit produced for the Home Office. [Internet] March 2021. [Cited 5 Jun 2021]. Available from: https://www.london.gov.uk/sites/default/files/a_report_on_the_london_violence_reduction_unit_produced_for_the_home_office_march_2021.pdf
Commons Library. Knife crime in England and Wales. [Internet] Sept 2021. [Cited 5 Jun 2022]. Available from: https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN04304/SN04304.pdf
Home Office. Police recorded crime and outcomes open data tables. [Internet] United Kingdom; 2021. [Cited 14 Jan 2022]. Available from: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/police-recorded-crime-open-data-tables
Office for National Statistics. Crime in England and Wales: year ending December 2019. [Internet] 2020. [Cited 14 Jan 2022]. Available from: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/bulletins/crimeinenglandandwales/yearendingdecember2019#:∼:text=Figures%20for%20the%20year%20ending,and%20the%20highest%20on%20record
Economic and Social Research Council. Millennium Cohort Study [Internet] 2017. [Cited 14 Jan 2022] Available from: https://discover.ukdataservice.ac.uk/series/?sn=2000031
Office for National Statistics. Crime in England and Wales: year ending September 2020. [Internet] 2020. [Cited 14 Jan 2022] Available from: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/bulletins/crimeinenglandandwales/yearendingseptember2020
World Health Organisation. Violence prevention through multisectoral collaboration. [Internet] New York; 2021. [Cited 14 Jan 2022] Available from: https://www.who.int/violenceprevention/approach/public_health/en/
- Violence as a public health problem. Combined approach is needed.BMJ. 2003; 326: 104
- Treating violence as a public health problem.BMJ. 2002; 325: 726-727
TARN. Inclusion Criteria The Trauma Audit & Research Network (TARN). [Internet] 2020. [Cited 14 Jan 2022] Available from: https://www.tarn.ac.uk/content/downloads/19/2.%20Inclusion%20Criteria%20Jan%202020.pdf
TARN. TARN analytics user guide. [Internet] Salford; Oct 2020 [Cited 14 Jan 2022] Available from: https://www.tarn.ac.uk/content/downloads/53/TARN%20Analytics%20guidance.pdf
Office for National Statistics. Populations by index of multiple deprivation (IMD) decile, England and Wales, 2020. [Internet] 2021 [Cited 14 Jan 2022]. Available at: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/populationestimates/adhocs/13773populationsbyindexofmultipledeprivationimddecileenglandandwales2020
Ministry of Housing. English indices of deprivation 2019 [Internet]. 2019 [cited 14 Jan 2022] Available from: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/english-indices-of-deprivation-2019
Jacobs, N. Health services and police use workshop to highlight risk of violence [Internet] 2021. [Cited 14 Jan 2022] Available at: https://www.cypnow.co.uk/best%20practice/article/health-services-and-police-use-school-workshop-to-highlight-risks-of-violence
- Effectiveness of anonymised information sharing and use in health service, police, and local government partnership for preventing violence related injury: experimental study and time series analysis.BMJ. 2011; 342: d3313
Cure Violence. The Big Idea. [Internet] 2021. [Cited 14 Jan 2022] Available from: https://cvg.org/the-big-idea/Abt.T. Bleeding Out: The Devastating Consequences of Urban Violence2019
Abt T. Why violence clusters in cities — and how to reduce it. [Internet] TEDMED; 2020. [Cited 14 Jan 2022]. Video 14:43. Available from: https://www.ted.com/talks/thomas_abt_why_violence_clusters_in_cities_and_how_to_reduce_it/transcript?language=en
Hassan G. Violence is preventable not inevitable. The Story and Impact of the Scottish Violence Reduction Unit. [Internet] 2018. [Cited 14 Jan 2022] Available from: http://www.svru.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/VRU_Report_Digital_Extra_Lightweight.pdf
Redthread. Our approach. [Internet] 2021. [Cited 14 Jan 2022] Available from: https://www.redthread.org.uk/about-us/#our-approach
Public Health England. A whole-system multi-agency approach to serious violence prevention: a resource for local system leaders in England. Public Health England; London. 2019.
GMC. Confidentiality: reporting gunshot and knife wounds [Internet] Apr 2017. [Cited 14 Jan 2022]. Available from: https://www.gmc-uk.org/ethical-guidance/ethical-guidance-for-doctors/confidentiality-reporting-gunshot-and-knife-wounds
- Outcomes and costs of penetrating trauma injury in England and Wales.Injury. 2008; 39: 1013-1025
Royal College of Emergency Medicine. Best practice guideline: guideline for information sharing to reduce community violence. [Internet] London;2017. [Cited 14 Jan 2022] Available from: https://www.rcem.ac.uk/docs/RCEM%20Guidance/QEC%20Guideline%20Information%20sharing%20to%20reduce%20Community%20Violence%20(Sept%202017).pdf
- Cardiff Model Toolkit: community guidance for violence prevention atlanta: division of violence prevention, national centre for injury prevention and control.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2017 ([Internet][Cited 14 Jan 2022] Available from)